Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gimbal tilted after a small crash

Simk1n

Join
Jan 2, 2019
So, it had to happen ofc on one of my first flights with my Spark o_O. Was not giving attention to RTH on low battery (have it set to RTH at current altitude)

Had it closer then 20m away from Home Point, and giving the RTH settings, it will rise to 2.5m and then fly back home instead of just land where it is. Had the spark right in front of me when it "all of a sudden" (again, 100% my fault) started to fly up, hitting the ceiling right outside of my brothers garage, flipped over and landed in the snow upside down.

Gimbal was tilted, but i was able to calibrate it using python software and some commands in CMD (followed a YouTube video) and it worked out great.

However, before calibration i had to have a gimbal roll of 4.5 degrees, and after calibration 1.5 degrees.

The question is, after flying around in sport mode yesterday, i checked the gimbal level in my roof top while the Spark was in the air, and it was almost perfect, but is it normal that the gimbal will be slightly off? Is it normal to have tiny adjustments now and then to keep it 100% level?

Last edited:
On one of my first flights I managed to fly mine into the side of my head, lol, anyway that knocked the gimbal way off. I recalibrated it in the g04 app and it's been rock solid ever since, haven't needed to touch it again. Hope you get yours sorted out..

Reactions: dave1701
Sunhood for the spark camera is an inexpensive accessory that helps camera and gimble from crashes. It saved mine a few times already. It takes the initial force of a direct impact and pops out.

Reactions: nyjumpee
Sun hood will also give you an annoying "eye lid" effect when slowing down from full normal mode.
As the craft tilts up to break, the sun hood comes into shot.
Not a good quality for those that use their Spark for video purposes.
Don't get me wrong, it does protect a little but in a crash, nothing is going to stop the gimbal from jarring around.
That is its function, to "float around" to prevent shock from showing up on the video.

I have yet to experience ‘eye lid’ effect during filming. I like my sunhood that I purchased one for my Mavic 2 also. You get gimble overload error when you have something blocking the free movement of the camera gimble.

I have yet to experience ‘eye lid’ effect during filming. I like my sunhood that I purchased one for my Mavic 2 also. You get gimble overload error when you have something blocking the free movement of the camera gimble.

It is not an overload.
The sunhood just covers the lens for a moment.
Still moves freely.

Sunhood for the spark camera is an inexpensive accessory that helps camera and gimble from crashes. It saved mine a few times already. It takes the initial force of a direct impact and pops out.
I've noticed that the spark gimble absolutely hates a lot of wind , in a few of my videos I've noticed a little vibration and figured out it was when the wind was hitting was causing it to shake.
I've being thinking of getting one of them sun hood's for the Spark for this reason.

Do you have a link to the sunhood that you have? I'll risk the "eyeshade effect" to protect the gimbal. . .I bashed my Phantom gimbal a few years ago and, while it's "fine" now, it isn't quite the same. . .I'm also a big fan of the lens protector (while not flying), gimbal lock and any other protection I can provide for the lens and gimbal.

Thanks for the reply's.

I have read alot of different things on this.

One guy who have sold and repaired alot of Phantoms and Mavic's (Mavic 1) said that 50% of the drones needed a small correction of the gimbal before every flight

Username Thunderdrones in this post

Some gimbals need a little Roll correction after Autocalibration. Normal or manufacturing defect?

Also i notice he say a correction of up to 0.9 is fine, but then at the official DJI forum i have read that 1.5 and also higher is OK.

So, sending my Spark to DJI just because it needs a small correction, i dont know. (i do have Refresh Care) I need to fly it more i think to see. Its still not good flying weather here in Norway with snow and wind, but the spring and summer is closing in :)

Amount of correction is not of consequence.
If after "leveling" the gimbal...the question is, can it "hold the horizon" while shooting a 21 pic pano?
If you can make a seamless pano through the app after leveling, you are good.
If you cannot, time for service.

Amount of correction is not of consequence.
If after "leveling" the gimbal...the question is, can it "hold the horizon" while shooting a 21 pic pano?
If you can make a seamless pano through the app after leveling, you are good.
If you cannot, time for service.

Ah, ok!

Will try out the Pano mode asap too see :)

Ok, i took a panorama today, and it stitched up just fine with no weird things going on picture wise with DJI Media Maker. I checked the gimbal level again also in flight, and it was level.

So, looks good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef