Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

GPS data as subtitles

Soar Like an Eagle

Join
Jan 31, 2019
Loc
Italy
I bought my Spark in January 2019.
I've used it for less than 3 hours and then I've never flown.
Until 2 weeks ago.
I'm locked at home and I've rebooted my passion for drones.

Tonight I flew (for the first time) at 9 PM.
My city was desert, all the people are home.
I took very nice footage, and now I'm curious: is there a way to "extract" metadata so I can add them like a subtitle to the video?
I give a look on the Internet but I've found nothing related to Spark because on forums there is a mention about "srt" files, but I can't find them.

Someone can help, please?

You might give this a look.

Dashware.

You can select from different displays and put your data on the screen.

Here is a thread to show an example of the display.

Here are more threads about Dashware.

Reactions: Soar Like an Eagle
Another option would be to screen record your flight with the telemetry from the Go4 screen and incorporate that into the presentation as a PIP (picture in picture) screen or maybe a cropped image of the screen capture and overlay on top of the Spark footage?

So, after playing a little with Dashware, I decided to not use it.
You are bonded to that application, and you cannot obtain what you need.

So, I uploaded my flight data to AirData, and for each flight, I downloaded a GPX file.
Then, with GPSBabel, I converted each GPX into a very useful SRT file.
Now, I have an SRT for each footage I have.

Of course, you can't CUT the original video, because you need to do dark magic to sync with GPX file.

My two cents.

Mr. SoarLikean Eagle

Sorry to hear Dashware didnt work for your needs.
I use it a good bit.

i also found a similar (paid) platform called Race Render.

They each have some things that beat the other and vice versa.

You sound like you are way advanced as to me with manipulating GPX data and such so im hesitant to give advice.

That said....whatever flight film you use, make sure you put an audio track on it......if you dont before overlaying the flight data there will likely be issues.

Something about there has to be a Audio Codec embedded before the Dashware and race Render will work properly. I have had it work with no audio...but thats the exception to the rule.

Below is something I did with Race Render.

data overlay

I was playing around with the software. They have point and click templates and you can make almost any form of graphical gauge from the raw data if you wish....and are smarter than me....I like big gauges I can see :)

i didnt put gps data in this one....it was a short flight over my neighbors cow pasture....Bessie the cow was asleep and didnt seem to be bothered.

Of note check out the upper left "flight path" that the drone icon follows.....right below is a 'blown up" scale version....as you fly they rotate and you can even see craft pointing pointing 90 degrees to how Im actually flying.......

I find things like this helpfull when Im analyzing flights in less than sunny conditions.

Hope this gives someone some ideas as to further enhancing the Sparks that are so capable.

I

That said....whatever flight film you use, make sure you put an audio track on it......if you dont before overlaying the flight data there will likely be issues.

Something about there has to be a Audio Codec embedded before the Dashware and race Render will work properly. I have had it work with no audio...but thats the exception to the rule.

Now that you mention it, I do recall reading from others about an audio track being added that helped with the application.

If I recall, it didn't need to be anything useable, just something there for data purposes.

This Forum is a great exchange of information and stuff to think about.

Thanks. :)

Reactions: Soar Like an Eagle
Thanks for the mention.
I'm going to download the free version and give it a try!

So, after playing a little with Dashware, I decided to not use it.
You are bonded to that application, and you cannot obtain what you need.

So, I uploaded my flight data to AirData, and for each flight, I downloaded a GPX file.
Then, with GPSBabel, I converted each GPX into a very useful SRT file.
Now, I have an SRT for each footage I have.

Of course, you can't CUT the original video, because you need to do dark magic to sync with GPX file.

My two cents.

@Soar Like an Eagle :

I tried following your instructions, and got as far as saving the GPX file from AirData, using GPSBabel to convert it from GPX to SRT, but now what? I use Filmora for my video editor, and it doesn't know what to do with an SRT file.

I can view the SRT file with NotePad, and the text is there. I just can't figure out how to superimpose the video over my drone video.

Last edited:
@Soar Like an Eagle :

I tried following your instructions, and got as far as saving the GPX file from AirData, using GPSBabel to convert it from GPX to SRT, but now what? I use Filmora for my video editor, and it doesn't know what to do with an SRT file.

I can view the SRT file with NotePad, and the text is there. I just can't figure out how to superimpose the video over my drone video.
Hello!
The SRT file is a common file used for subtitles.
If you call a video myvideo.mp4 and you have a myvideo.srt file, watching it with (for example) VLC you'll see subtitles for that file.

You can use SRT file only for complete footage, not for a video you've edited.
If you need to edit the file, the best option is to use the apps other users here told us (Dashware and Race Render).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast