Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

GPS tracker for Spark

Alex_Tijero

Join
May 30, 2017
Ok! I'm really afraid about flyaways and the best way to avoid these situations is to attach a gps tracker to our drone, the point here is wich one to choose and how to attach.

The options that I know are next:

TK102:

classic one but I think its to big for spark

6,4x4,6x1,7 cm
50gr

A9 mini gps tracker:

I think this one is fresh new and there are not many feedback about but looks smaller than tk102 and could be best choice for spark

4.50 x 4.50 x 1.20 cm
40gr

What do you think guys? There are other options for sure but i dont know many more, so.. wich one are best and how to attach to spark respecting the aerodinamic...

Last edited:
Could you provide links?
I think the A9 looks interesting, small enough but where would you stick it on the spark?
The crazy thing is, this thing is small and low power, I'm surprised DJI haven't included something like this in the pro series of drones.

Could you provide links?
I think the A9 looks interesting, small enough but where would you stick it on the spark?
The crazy thing is, this thing is small and low power, I'm surprised DJI haven't included something like this in the pro series of drones.

if you loose a drone you buy a new one.. i guess :cool:

Ok! I'm really afraid about flyaways and the best way to avoid these situations is to attach a gps tracker to our drone, the point here is wich one to choose and how to attach.

The options that I know are next:

TK102:

classic one but I think its to big for spark

6,4x4,6x1,7 cm
50gr

A9 mini gps tracker:

I think this one is fresh new and there are not many feedback about but looks smaller than tk102 and could be best choice for spark

4.50 x 4.50 x 1.20 cm
40gr

What do you think guys? There are other options for sure but i dont know many more, so.. wich one are best and how to attach to spark respecting the aerodinamic...
I'm looking at the TILE google that one

I'm looking at the TILE google that one
Bluetooth trackers are a nice option because they are small, but usually not such a good option for tracking drones since they have a max range of about 100 feet. That means either you or another Tile user would need to be within about 100 feet of your lost Spark in order to find its location.

Depending on where you fly, it could still be useful. For example, I once helped someone track down a drone that was lost in a field of tall grass. Since a tracker was not installed, the best we could do is get close to the last known location by using the TXT flight log from DJI GO. If that pilot had a Bluetooth tracker like this instead, he probably would have been able to find his drone (since he was close to the crash/landing site). And if he had a radio/GPS tracker installed, he would have likely had no problem finding the exact location.

Reactions: Bharatha1984
There is a GPS tracker, including flight replay as part of the Spark Logs. Find them in "DJI Go 4" on your phone.

There is a GPS tracker, including flight replay as part of the Spark Logs.
That is a great tool if the Spark downlink was connected for the entire flight. When the downlink drops, data is longer stored in the TXT flight log on the mobile device. In those situations, having a GPS tracker can help pinpoint the exact location of a missing Spark.

QUOTE: "That is a great tool if the Spark downlink was connected for the entire flight"
Agree, but lost connection is not always the case with flyaways. In addition, Spark uses its return-to-home function, if it loses connection, which is also helpful sometimes too.

The purpose of this post is to alert other Spark owners to a poorly documented Spark feature, that is very valuable.
Without this post, one might believe the only option was a lost-locator module.

I currently use a tile, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a gps. Have you received the Togather?
Here's a little video on my tile, location and tips for attaching to the battery.

Oh I just read the description of the Togather. It's got a magnet in it for sticking it to cars, that's going to mess up the compass.

I put a ring magnet on the lens for filter swaps and it was nearly impossible to calibrate the compass.

Is putting a GPS/Blutooth tracker (with or without magnet) on a drone really a good idea??? It seems that quite a number of flyaways is caused by electromagnetic interference of the compass or the pilot not waiting to get a new RTH location fixed before take-off? And considering that DJI recommends turning BT off in order to improve connection...

Just thinkin'...

Morten

Reactions: Lastrexking
I just bought my spark, I'm waiting for it to arrive and I have read a lot about it! I want to prevent any accident so I just got here. What I have and plan to stick to my future spark is a wrist cellphone for kids, which has GPS tracking and an app that you can use with a lot of functions to save your kid (drone)! From beeping alarm sound to location.

I asked about the interference and my friend (who owns the company that develops the watch) told me that this watch works with a 2G network and it uses Mhz and not Ghz, that are the signals that the drone use (2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz). Hope he is right!

I will be updating you guys, as I think is a good option considering the weight (around 30g), battery life (24 hours depending on its use) and function that the app offers.

I wait for a replacement unit for my Togather tracker. The first unit didn't power on after installing the Sim card. I keep you posted.

It is the only unit I consider (18g). I'll hang it from the Spark via a string to avoid magnetic interference (although the magnet is extremely weak). Hanging from a string has the added benefit that I can phone-call the tracker and live-hear the sound (which would be rotors only if attached to the Spark directly).

There are more sources (Togather just is a reseller). Search for "micro tracker".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme