Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hack Your Spark

David Day

Join
Jul 4, 2017
Hi,
Does anyone know if there's a possible workaround/hack to bypass the 500m range limitation of the Spark in the U.K.?

Thank you

Hi,
Does anyone know if there's a possible workaround/hack to bypass the 500m range limitation of the Spark in the U.K.?

Thank you

Can you be more specific... 500m altitude? or CE/FCC limiting thing?

This is not fix, maybe you get less, maybe more, matter of wifi surroundings.
Should get this one :: eBay Listing Template :: next week and also the RC.
With Phantom 3, some of this kind helped to get little more range. The best would be a panel antenna. But you would need in deep modification of the RC.

Reactions: Durash
This is not fix, maybe you get less, maybe more, matter of wifi surroundings.
Should get this one :: eBay Listing Template :: next week and also the RC.
With Phantom 3, some of this kind helped to get little more range. The best would be a panel antenna. But you would need in deep modification of the RC.
If I took my Spark to the US the range would be around 2km, here in the U.K. the power is restricted and the range becomes only 0.5km.
My question is, is there a way to de-restrict the transmission power limitations imposed by your current location?

If I took my Spark to the US the range would be around 2km, here in the U.K. the power is restricted and the range becomes only 0.5km.
My question is, is there a way to de-restrict the transmission power limitations imposed by your current location?
Yes, there are actually at least 3 principal ways that i will NOT detail here as that is unwanted.

Just in principle these are the outlines of the 3 ways, you have to search elsewhere for DOING it.
And please note while using DJI Assistant to change flight attitude (speed / tilt) is legal, changing the output power to exceed your countries maximum is immediatly ILLEGAL in itself, no matter how you did it, also if you use external Amplifier...

3 ways:

-1- Use the one version of DJI-GO where DJI has an Easteregg Dialog (to be activated by taps in certain amounts on certain items) OR use latest version of DJI GO that has been patched to include a similar dialog (downloading & using this is also illegal strictly speaking)

-2- do certain changes on your rooted android that leads an unmodified DJI GO to the conclusion that you are in a FCC country

-3- root the craft and patch the internal settings to gain FCC power.

So its your choice, whether to do it or not and which method to use.

There ARE modifications out there that boost the power even over the stock FCC limit but those certainly overheat & overstress the Hardware so that this should only be done for a very limited time ( << full battery flight time), BE WARNED.

AFAIR CE output power 100mW, FCC output 900mW, boost output 1500mW

This does not translate into linear gain of range but to log increase. (approx 3dB = double range)

Greetings,

Ender

Last edited:
One thing I do not understand, on the mavic the CE power is 20dbm (2.4Ghz) , on the spark it is 18dbm (2.4Ghz), why the spark does not have the same CE power as the mavic since legally in the CE zone it's 20dbm (2.4Ghz) ?

spark :

mavic :

First:
i dont know...
But often tehse specs are not correct or mix up things so i would not trust it too much :)
(Also 2 power levels, SPark 6 remote...)

It would be best if the would state transmit power in [mW] and Antenna gain in dBi as the limits exist in EIRP (Equivalent isotropically radiated power) which is a different beast alltogether and most other stuff are simplifications.
So you would be able to exceed the countries EIRP with smaller power but highly directional Antenna.

All this is waaayyy too muc for a spec sheet so they just write down something pleasant ;-)

Ender

Yes, there are actually at least 3 principal ways that i will NOT detail here as that is unwanted.

Just in principle these are the outlines of the 3 ways, you have to search elsewhere for DOING it.
And please note while using DJI Assistant to change flight attitude (speed / tilt) is legal, changing the output power to exceed your countries maximum is immediatly ILLEGAL in itself, no matter how you did it, also if you use external Amplifier...

3 ways:

-1- Use the one version of DJI-GO where DJI has an Easteregg Dialog (to be activated by taps in certain amounts on certain items) OR use latest version of DJI GO that has been patched to include a similar dialog (downloading & using this is also illegal strictly speaking)

-2- do certain changes on your rooted android that leads an unmodified DJI GO to the conclusion that you are in a FCC country

-3- root the craft and patch the internal settings to gain FCC power.

So its your choice, whether to do it or not and which method to use.

There ARE modifications out there that boost the power even over the stock FCC limit but those certainly overheat & overstress the Hardware so that this should only be done for a very limited time ( << full battery flight time), BE WARNED.

AFAIR CE output power 100mW, FCC output 900mW, boost output 1500mW

This does not translate into linear gain of range but to log increase. (approx 3dB = double range)

Greetings,

Ender
That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that info. I'm not saying it's something I would do but I was curious to see if it could be done.

Thanks again,

David

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that info. I'm not saying it's something I would do but I was curious to see if it could be done.

Thanks again,

David
Nobody actually does this !
We are all lucky to have that old oil rig out in international waters where we can try out this stuff without breaking a law :p

Ender

First:
i dont know...
But often tehse specs are not correct or mix up things so i would not trust it too much :)
(Also 2 power levels, SPark 6 remote...)

It would be best if the would state transmit power in [mW] and Antenna gain in dBi as the limits exist in EIRP (Equivalent isotropically radiated power) which is a different beast alltogether and most other stuff are simplifications.
So you would be able to exceed the countries EIRP with smaller power but highly directional Antenna.

All this is waaayyy too muc for a spec sheet so they just write down something pleasant ;-)

Ender

It would be necessary to carry out a spectrum analysis on the 2 models

It would be necessary to carry out a spectrum analysis on the 2 models
To gain what ?
We DO know that we get more range if we turn up the Tx power (we dont know that for external amps as they may mess up SNR).
We also do know that we can trade range vs. directionness if using different Antenna.

So thats all you need to know. If you want to find out about lawfulness we dont need a spectrum as we can trust the concentrated on the given frequency, we just need a proper calibrated RF Meter + known Antenna. (And a pocket calculator)

;-)

Ender

One thing I do not understand, on the mavic the CE power is 20dbm (2.4Ghz) , on the spark it is 18dbm (2.4Ghz), why the spark does not have the same CE power as the mavic since legally in the CE zone it's 20dbm (2.4Ghz) ?

spark :

mavic :

Simple - look at the operating band. They operate in different allocated spectrums since they use different encoding/packet data.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme