Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Had a bit of a scare today

Davenwolf

Join
Aug 28, 2018
Had a bit of a scare today.
I was flying over trees near the mouth of a river and the ocean and my phone overheated and shut down. For some strange reason my Controller was trying to over charge my phone via OTG. That has never happened before. Well I hit return home and couldn't hear the Spark so wasn't sure if it was on its way so I stopped RTH and spent the next 5 minutes flying blindly till I could here the Spark, get my bearings and land safely.
Has anyone else had this happen? DJI_0006 small.jpg

Have faith in the RTH, never fly blind as you might be going in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OTG lately.

I've stopped using it a while back because it seemed that WiFi got better?

I did notice the last time I used it, the remote was charging the phone. Or vice versa.

Glad to hear you got the Spark back.

Reactions: Davenwolf
Are you using a mini USB OTG cable? Because they have the same connection at both ends but you need to make sure the correct end is in the controller (the end with the symbol on for me) that way it doesn't charge your phone. The other way it does. If that makes any sense

Reactions: matty4
I have had my drone try to RTH but it just went higher and higher and made me panic that it would be lost....has anyone else had this?

Are you using a mini USB OTG cable? Because they have the same connection at both ends but you need to make sure the correct end is in the controller (the end with the symbol on for me) that way it doesn't charge your phone. The other way it does. If that makes any sense
I have a separate OTG so it always goes into the controller.

Yes I also have a separate OTG cable. But depending on the way I attach it depends on whether it puts a charge into my phone or not.

Reactions: Davenwolf
What is your RTH altitude set at?
Have faith in the RTH, never fly blind as you might be going in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OTG lately.

I've stopped using it a while back because it seemed that WiFi got better?

I did notice the last time I used it, the remote was charging the phone. Or vice versa.

Glad to hear you got the Spark back.
I was under trees and lost the drone for a few minutes when the phone went down. When I hit RTH it didn't think it was heading back the right way but after looking at the flight path it was :\
ooops wrong reply.

Yes I also have a separate OTG cable. But depending on the way I attach it depends on whether it puts a charge into my phone or not.

Hi guys

my OTG only works in one direction. If I switch it I don't get "RC CONNECTED" in "go 4" app.

Just as a warning to all. Drones doing 32 mph and lamp posts "don't mix". You can tick that off your lists.

Reactions: matty4

First time I read that. I will check it out. So far every time I've used my spark I always have a problem around 30m. The image getting blurry and the warning message appears. "Not good connection ". I can't figure it out.

Reactions: Asset4air
First time I read that. I will check it out. So far every time I've used my spark I always have a problem around 30m. The image getting blurry and the warning message appears. "Not good connection ". I can't figure it out.
Otg cables have polarity.
There is a specific edge going to the controller. Cannot work connected the other way.

your controller wont over charge it can dump current into the cable and your phone either accepts it or not.. your controller will charge your phone.. when you fly charge your phone up and controller.. so it evens out never use a lower phone charge than controller.... its that simple if your phone gets hot and starts smoking then yea the ic that controlls the phones battery charge is bad toss the phone its not the controllers fault... i use otgs off ebay the 4 dollar ones they dont charge the phone but do work

The only time I ever use RTH is when it's activated due to singal loss or remaining battery life. Usually I'm all-ready headed back before the low battery stage. I've read several threads about bad RTH and it usually goes like this. "I hit RTH and never saw my drone again." This most likely comes from user error in the setup process, but it's always a possibility. In my opinion, once you hit RTH, you put all your faith in a computer. Now this technology works flawlessly most of the time, however I feel that if I'm in control of bringing the drone to the home point myself, I'm eliminating that potential problem. I know people personally that use RTH everytime they fly and never have an issue. I however choose to keep control in my own hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh