Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Has any one “worn out” their Spark?

czechmark

Join
Dec 23, 2017
Loc
New Jersey
I’ve seen many posts about “lost” Sparks, but I suspect the majority of owners experience issue-free flights as long as they do their homework and follow their pre-flight checklists. We’ve had terrible weather in New Jersey, since I acquired my Spark in December so I only have about 5 hours of flight time. For owners in more moderate climates who fly every day, have you ever had your Spark fail because its components wore out?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkster
I’ve seen many posts about “lost” Sparks, but I suspect the majority of owners experience issue-free flights as long as they do their homework and follow their pre-flight checklists. We’ve had terrible weather in New Jersey, since I acquired my Spark in December so I only have about 5 hours of flight time. For owners in more moderate climates who fly every day, have you ever had your Spark fail because it’s components wore out?
Good question. Knock on wood but no problems with my Spark so far and I've had him since October.

So far I have over 25 hours and over 1mil feet. I'm in IL so has gone threw cold weather and warm.

To date I have 19hrs flight time and 271105 mtrs (889452ft) with only one problem when the battery fell out. Otherwise still using original propellers and no other issues.. Great machine!!

i gotta say, although im still very new and have extremely limited flight time this little drone feels quote solid! Also, in NJ btw. : )

Reactions: czechmark
i gotta say, although im still very new and have extremely limited flight time this little drone feels quote solid! Also, in NJ btw. : )
Where do you live? I’m in Hightstown.

Hmmmm. The only moving parts of course are the motors, gimbal and internal fan. I suspect the motors will have a good life provided you keep any crap (sand, dirt, excess moisture) out of them. Similar with the gimbal motors.

My own bet is that the internal fan will give up first. Good to listen out for unusual noises that could indicate imminent failure (screeching noise is usual the first sign in this sort of fan). If it stops I expect the Spark will have some sort of over temperature issue. Not sure if it will complain or just shut off or damage the ESCs.

The other thing that will wear out is the battery. It should slowly degrade giving shorter fly times and then will fail to charge. But you can buy another one.

Hmmmm. The only moving parts of course are the motors, gimbal and internal fan. I suspect the motors will have a good life provided you keep any crap (sand, dirt, excess moisture) out of them. Similar with the gimbal motors.

My own bet is that the internal fan will give up first. Good to listen out for unusual noises that could indicate imminent failure (screeching noise is usual the first sign in this sort of fan). If it stops I expect the Spark will have some sort of over temperature issue. Not sure if it will complain or just shut off or damage the ESCs.

The other thing that will wear out is the battery. It should slowly degrade giving shorter fly times and then will fail to charge. But you can buy another one.

All good points to consider. The Spark has been around since last May, yet I haven’t heard of any mechanical failures other than the known battery latch issue. I use a rubber band or one of these (https://www.amazon.com/s/?keywords=dji spark battery strap) from Amazon for almost ever flight)

When I started this discussion, I was interested in hearing about the successes that have been experienced-a 100 hours or more without issue. Has anyone got to that level? I’m at 4 hours 17 minutes-38 flights and still counting.

Last edited:
My Spark is on the way. How do I avoid a battery problem? Did it just not click in firmly to cause that on that one occasion?
It was an old battery that I got in July 2017. These batteries had a smaller latching clip which failed when used a few times. Latest batteries have a slightly bigger, better latching clip. To fly with confidence you can buy a battery clamp from Amazon, which is fail safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis