Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Has the Mavic Mini replaced the Spark?

ricke

Join
Jul 22, 2020
Hi, since DJI product ads, drone comparisons and the DJI Store now longer mention the Spark, has that been discontinued? If so is their replacement the Mavic Mini? If I wanted to by a newer model drone from DJI today, is the Mini the closest in functionality to the Spark?

Thanks,
Rick

I think the "replacement" for the Spark is the newly released Mavic Air 2.

It seems to have what some Spark pilots want in a small package that the Mini doesn't offer.

Of course it does cost more than the mini.

But like DJI has stated, " Up your game."

The MA2 will be my upgrade in the future.

No Mini replaces Spark, Spark has features that Mini cannot offer. MA 2 is likely to be a substitute product. I bought the Mini because of the flight time. If Spark had had a longer battery time .I wouldn't have bought a Mini
I would have bought an MA2, but not enough money:(

I bought the Spark originally because it was the cheapest starter drone, and I was unsure. Then the regulations hit, and potential fines, and registration. So I sold the Spark, and bought a Mini. And no Licensing, 2x flight time,and 2x better camera. Not sorry.

And dont want to spend the big bucks for a bigger, and harder to carry around drone.

Reactions: matt48
I bought the Spark originally because it was the cheapest starter drone, and I was unsure. Then the regulations hit, and potential fines, and registration. So I sold the Spark, and bought a Mini. And no Licensing, 2x flight time,and 2x better camera. Not sorry.

And dont want to spend the big bucks for a bigger, and harder to carry around drone.
How does the mini handle in a 10 mph wind? No registration?

If my Spark ever craps out on me, I will gut it and turn it into an FPV quad. ?

I think the Spark does have a good solid frame for FPV use.

Might be an interesting project for the FPV crowd if they have a Spark that can be retrofitted for FPV use. ?

Reactions: graywoulf
Hurry up...can't wait to hear your impression

Other bills first. ;)

The rumored MA 3 may be released later this year??

Maybe the MA 2 will be cheaper?

Thanks. I also understand that you don't have to register it.

Yep. No registration needed in most countries as it weighs 249 grams, 1 gram shy of the registration limit.

From DJI's site...

The weight of 249 grams places Mavic Mini in the lowest and safest weight class of drones, which in many countries may exempt it from certain regulations. For example, in the United States and Canada, you can fly Mavic Mini without the need to register your drone with the government.

DJI even makes a 199 gram version for Japan, by removing one of the cells from the battery, to meet the limit of Japan.

From DJI's site...

The international version of Mavic Mini weighs 249 grams. The Japanese version of Mavic Mini weighs 199 grams, as drones under 200 grams are not subject to the drone flight rules according to Japanese aviation law. Due to the difference in weight and capacity of the two batteries, always use the Japanese battery (1100 mAh) when using the Japanese version of Mavic Mini.

I also understand that there are two different region versions.

One for FCC and the other for CE.

Regardless if it's registered or where it's flying, please fly responsibly. ?

I think the Spark does have a good solid frame for FPV use. Might be an interesting project for the FPV crowd if they have a Spark that can be retrofitted for FPV use. ?

It has been done. I saw a display model with no guts for sale on ebay and I almost bought it just for the purpose of making an FPV quad out of it. I might still do that someday. :D Here is one for you to see.

Reactions: matt48
Yep. No registration needed in most countries as it weighs 249 grams, 1 gram shy of the registration limit.

From DJI's site...

The weight of 249 grams places Mavic Mini in the lowest and safest weight class of drones, which in many countries may exempt it from certain regulations. For example, in the United States and Canada, you can fly Mavic Mini without the need to register your drone with the government.

DJI even makes a 199 gram version for Japan, by removing one of the cells from the battery, to meet the limit of Japan.

From DJI's site...

The international version of Mavic Mini weighs 249 grams. The Japanese version of Mavic Mini weighs 199 grams, as drones under 200 grams are not subject to the drone flight rules according to Japanese aviation law. Due to the difference in weight and capacity of the two batteries, always use the Japanese battery (1100 mAh) when using the Japanese version of Mavic Mini.

Thanks for the info. When they add Litchi I will buy the mini.

No Mini replaces Spark, Spark has features that Mini cannot offer. MA 2 is likely to be a substitute product. I bought the Mini because of the flight time. If Spark had had a longer battery time .I wouldn't have bought a Mini
I would have bought an MA2, but not enough money:(

There's no denying the of the 3 drones, the MA2 is the best, but what do you mean when you say that the spark has features that the mini cannot offer, to what are you referring? The only negative I'm aware of is lower maximum speed, which would translate to worse performance in wind. But the mini also has several advantages such as 3-axis vs 2-axis gimbal, longer flight time and range, and of course the lower weight and smaller size.

From DJI's site...

From DJI's site...

Interesting about the lighter Japanese model, i did not know that. I'm considering a mini to be able to take hiking without adding too much weight and bulk, and while I'm not really a gram counter, 50 grams here, 50 grams there, all adds up...

Is the lighter battery (and hence, i assume, less flight time) the only difference in the Japanese version? And are the FCC vs CE hardcoded in? I know with the spark, it depends on where you're flying it, not where you bought it.

There's no denying the of the 3 drones, the MA2 is the best, but what do you mean when you say that the spark has features that the mini cannot offer, to what are you referring? The only negative I'm aware of is lower maximum speed, which would translate to worse performance in wind. But the mini also has several advantages such as 3-axis vs 2-axis gimbal, longer flight time and range, and of course the lower weight and smaller size.
ActiveTrack

Reactions: basily
Other bills first. ;)

The rumored MA 3 may be released later this year??

Maybe the MA 2 will be cheaper?
What would there in a Mavic Air 3 to be attractive that the Mavic Air 2 doesn't have?
I see other drones before that coming before a Mavic Air 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme