Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Heading from UK to USA for holiday.

Rolfy Dave

Join
Sep 1, 2019
We are flying to the USA for a weeks holiday in Los Angeles at the end of September. Are there any requirements so I can take my Spark with me and use it on holiday ? I have UK registration and Operating licence and Insurance. Is there anything else I need, and do I have to register it at immigration? And help would be appreciated. Cheers all, Dave W

No expert here on international travel, but since you have no other replies:

I think I'd go to FAADroneZone and register in USA. That costs $5. Then check with your airline about how to bring it and your batteries, or just read threads here.

Reactions: Rolfy Dave
I say your good to go just fly within the USA reg's you should be okay. As far as flying across the big pond I have never had a problem with TSA, immigration or costoms. I travel to Thailand every year and have went through a lot of different security checks with my spark in my carry on bag. You have to carry on the batteries you are not suppose to check them I put my batteries in those flame proof bags. If you don't have any of them you can also run some tape over the terminal end to prevent them for shorting out.
Have a safe flight.

Reactions: Rolfy Dave
Download AirMap app to see what is authorized to fly.
Make sure to zoom in close to where you want to fly as the app reports zones on the entire screen.
IE looking at app default view, there might be no fly zones 10 miles away that do not even affect your immediate area of flight.

Since your trip is in September, this will give you plenty of time to research local municipalities and the rules on drone flying in the area you're going to visit.

Although AIRMAP is an excellent source of information, it may not provide the "local" information pertaining to the area and it's local ordinances.

You may be ok to fly in the airspace, but you may not be able to launch / land in the same area due to a local ordinance.

Do you research and BRING THE SPARK!!!

Better to have it and not need it, than having to need it and not haven't it. :)

Hi guys.
Many thanks for all your replies.
I have registered with the FAA under the recreational fliers exception rules, which proved no problem at all, with the exception of a phone number, which it wouldn't accept any form of UK number. It came up as "invalid". So I just didnt put one in, and it was happy with that. I presume having your confirmed email address was good enough to contact.
I have put B4UFLY on both my mobile phone and my 7" tablet that I use to view my flight video, so I am covered either way.
I always have spare props sv1000pilot. Better to have them and not need them ...... etc ?
As for having fun, I intend to. But I have lots of nerves about going to the USA, as (1) this is our first time outside Europe (2) I am disabled and am wheelchair bound (3) Both my wife and I are over 65. Having said that. We used to career around Europe on our Honda Blackbird or Kawasaki GTR1400 motorcycles each year, until my spinal condition put a halt on it ?
Once again, thanks for your help. As always, the Spark forum is an invaluable thing to belong to.
Happy flying.
Dave W

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis