Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Help to make a purchase decision

Tilak

Join
Aug 27, 2017
Hi Everybody.

Just joined this forum and seeking some basic advice to help me make a purchase decision on the Spark. I've had a P2V+ for 3 years now. I live in Sri Lanka and absolutely no warranty etc works out of here. I've been doing my own repairs using the great advice from the (associated?) dji phantom forum, various FB groups and youtube etc.

I'm not a selfie kinda guy - but love the idea of getting the bird in the air fast for some quick photos. Range - say 500M line of sight and altitude of 100M - and flight time of 8-10mins is absolutely fine for me - reasonable resolution sees to be there - absolutely no need of 4K etc.

Questions

I'll likely buy in the UK next week to bring back with me to Sri Lanka. Are any restrictions CE etc based on place of purchase or place of flight?

Have people <<not doing longer range & higher altitude flying>> had any issues with the Spark over time?

I'm thinking of the Spark Combo plus another additional battery making three in all - anything else that's recommended?

I've seen some reports of range limitations etc after firmware upgrades - but they seem confusing. Is this an issue - I'm normally at least 50kms from any security area...?

Any recommended forum / FB type resources?

Any advice, caveats etc much appreciated.

Best regards and TIA

Tilak

Are any restrictions CE etc based on place of purchase or place of flight?
No. All Sparks are the same. CE/FCC is auto selected based on the location reported by the Spark's GPS receiver.

I'm thinking of the Spark Combo plus another additional battery making three in all - anything else that's recommended?
Check out my must-haves list here.

I've seen some reports of range limitations etc after firmware upgrades
You should not be limited as long as you're logged into the DJI GO 4 app on your mobile device.

Any recommended forum / FB type resources?
Here are some items you might find useful:

Reactions: Tilak
Hey M Singer

Thanks very much for the fast response with all the advice - sure I recognise your name from some FB groups - anyway much appreciated.

[[Have people <<not doing longer range & higher altitude flying>> had any issues with the Spark over time?]] any areas of failure. TheP2V+ had a load of teething/delicate issues - WiFi modules, ribbon cables etc

Are there any low-cost spares that I'd be wise to get - it takes a month of sundays for me to get anything over to me here - with my P2V+ I had to do RF shielding and all sorts of stuff - think DJI has moved on a lot - but I did have a couple of motors etc - came in very useful when I was learning!!! That phase is over now. But any spares worth keeping?

Thanks again for your advice

Make sure you get the Fly more combo. The charger does 3 batteries at once, the remote is an absolute must.
Most people complaining about range limits are flying using phone as controller. This puts major limits on the bird.
I have not tried, nor will I, flying it by phone.
If I wanted to be able to fly it with a phone, I would have gotten a Parrot.
;)

with my P2V+ I had to do RF shielding and all sorts of stuff
Those kind of mods are no longer needed in DJI's newer drones. They aren't as easy to open as the P2V+ was either. I remember back when I used to mod mine...

As for spares, you probably will want to keep some extra props and batteries on hand. The Spark is still pretty new, but I haven't seen anyone replacing many parts yet (not including destruction caused by crashes).

Thanks very much AeroMirage - much appreciated.

Yes I'm getting close to confirming the Spark Combo with another additional battery - making three batteries in all - and some extra props - the combo comes with remote controller and don't really intend flying with phone only.

thanks again - appreciated

Lol my advice is dont buy dji i own a spark and my mate has a j.me and i would take the j.me anyday over the spark and its cheaper

bennie

Have 2, very happy with them and their performances. I had zero issue but as for any new product, you can be unlucky with the one you get.
Same advise as AeroMirage, the RC is a must as the charger hub. I used at start first with just the phone but I stopped flying until I got a RC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis