Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hi From Eureka, MO

TimH

Join
Aug 22, 2019
Loc
Eureka, MO
Just got a Spark Fly More for my birthday. Love it so far, just having problems with the RC connecting to the Spark whenever I start it up. I have to go thru the procedure to link the RC and Spark everytime, and it seems my Spark is always asking for compass calibration.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, TimH.

Happy birthday and welcome to the Forum. ?

Welcome. I'm new to this myself, but I've managed to work through successfully so far. Are you able to link from the Go 4 on your phone to the Spark via WiFi so you attempt the compass calibration?

Yes, I have tried it with just the phone, it calibrates. Do a flight, come back and change battery, then get the compass error again. It will calibrate every time, just doesn't keep calibration.

Welcome and hope you have as much fun as most of us do together with safe flying. Had a look at Eureka MO. I’m in the UK in Bristol. Think you are just SW of St Louis, do I have that right?

Yes, I have tried it with just the phone, it calibrates. Do a flight, come back and change battery, then get the compass error again. It will calibrate every time, just doesn't keep calibration.
This is probably a long shot, but I Googled the issue and it appears across other DJI platforms. I presume you're careful not to calibrate the compass anywhere close to ferrous metals, including concrete (likely has rebar), so let's try something simple. Remove your SD card and see if it still does it. I have no idea what the relationship between the compass system and the SD could be, but some people report the problem went away after removal. Others said reinstalling firmware did the trick. These may be time consuming, but they're cheap and relatively easy to try. Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like you are calibrating near metal... Like I B Spectre stated...

Here's how I calibrate.

1. Remove any watches, metal objects from your person. (yes even your belt buckle and that change in your pocket)
  2. Invest in an OTG cable so you dont need to use wifi between the controller and your phone. (you can do this later, there are other benefits)
  3. Take the Spark and your smartphone out to an open clear area away from all structures/paving/concrete. Turn off blutooth and cellular networks on your phone.
  4. If you have a wife/partner, show them how to run the calibration process and have them stand about 20 feet away, and call out the instructions to you. If you dont have that luxury of a helper, then you will need to keep the phone closer.

Once you've completed that, do an IMU calibration on a very flat and level surface, like your dining room table...

Go back outside, check your sensor status, (compas and IMU) making sure they are both showing Green... and then take off in that same clear space you used, and your troubles should be over! Anywhere you choose to fly, make sure you have good distance from metal.

Sounds like you are calibrating near metal... Like I B Spectre stated...

Here's how I calibrate.

1. Remove any watches, metal objects from your person. (yes even your belt buckle and that change in your pocket)
  2. Invest in an OTG cable so you dont need to use wifi between the controller and your phone. (you can do this later, there are other benefits)
  3. Take the Spark and your smartphone out to an open clear area away from all structures/paving/concrete. Turn off blutooth and cellular networks on your phone.
  4. If you have a wife/partner, show them how to run the calibration process and have them stand about 20 feet away, and call out the instructions to you. If you dont have that luxury of a helper, then you will need to keep the phone closer.

Once you've completed that, do an IMU calibration on a very flat and level surface, like your dining room table...

Go back outside, check your sensor status, (compas and IMU) making sure they are both showing Green... and then take off in that same clear space you used, and your troubles should be over! Anywhere you choose to fly, make sure you have good distance from metal.
Thanks, I will try that. I just bought a cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit