Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hi! Lugging my Spark batteries to Australia

Ndroner

Join
Nov 15, 2017
I would like to know if the airlines allow drones in carry on luggage on internal flights Australia. I also have three batteries. Can i carry 2 batteries in the thermofoam box that came with the drone? Or do i have to tape them all?
While on the subject of batteries, Did anyone receive any software update of the intelligent
batteries?
Regards
Ndroner

I've never heard of any airlines that allow batteries in checked luggage. Make sure the battery terminals are covered (or the batteries are in a case/bag that has separate battery compartments) and put them in your carry-on bag.

Thank you msinger!.
I was referring to the drone itself. If I dont intend to check in my luggage. Can I carry my spark as Cabin luggage?
Some airlines like the Emirates insisnt on checking in the drone but carry the batteries in cabin luggage.

I would like to know if the airlines allow drones in carry on luggage on internal flights Australia. I also have three batteries. Can i carry 2 batteries in the thermofoam box that came with the drone? Or do i have to tape them all?
While on the subject of batteries, Did anyone receive any software update of the intelligent
batteries?
Regards
Ndroner
Traveling with drones - Please SHARE your experience to help others
Electric tape or LIPO safety bags?
Southwest Airlines & Spark Carry On

Can I carry my spark as Cabin luggage?
Some airlines like the Emirates insisnt on checking in the drone but carry the batteries in cabin luggage.
Check with the airline of your choice. They all have their rules listed on their websites.

Traveled on QantasLink last month. Put my Spark and batteries (1 on the Spark and another just in the battery compartment) in the carry bag that came with the Fly More option. Brought it as carry on. Security didn't even open the bag after going through x-ray, both to and return flights.
I flew the day prior to drain the batteries to ~20% (discharged). I read somewhere about not carrying fully charged batteries.
I had a friend who had custom racing drones, and went through security with a whole bunch of lipo batteries and didn't have issues.

I carry mine on with batteries just in my bag. I usually am flying in the USA.
I would check with the airlines & country you are flying to.

I use silicon battery terminal covers, these cost a few quid from Amazon. SHiZAK 4pcs Dustproof Silicone Plug Covers for Battery Charging Terminal Port for DJI Spark Drone Black (1 pcs Dust Plug for Drone Body+3 pcs Dust Plug for Battery Port) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0742DFMD2/

I also discharge down to 30% then place in a LiPo bag - again, these are available online: TIME4DEALS Lipo Battery Guard Safety Bag Large for Dji Spark Drone Battery 2PCS, Fire-proof Explosion-proof Lipo Battery Charging Bag for Dji Spark Battery https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071KK11RJ/

(You can also find bundles of both items)

And I purchased a ‘tough’ travel bag, so I can chuck into my hand luggage - it also holds two batteries and the Spark, once you get ‘there’. Spark Case Vococal? Portable Hard EVA Shell Protective Storage Handbag Bag Mini Carry Case for DJI Spark Drone Battery Accessories Organizer Travel Carrying Box Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074QQCLTN/

Have gone through several airports with this set-up and no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm flying a lot between European countries, got the drone with 3 batteries in a case that's in my carry on backpack.
Never had to even open it, or anyone ask about it - usually the security guys are more interested on padding me down. Must be the beard or something.

Check the homepage of your airline, they usually tell you a maximum capacity of batteries that you can carry (and 3 spark ones plus laptop plus phone plus power bank is usually well below that... While a bunch of Inspire batteries might be getting over)

As for the battery safety - make sure they can't get shorted and you are fine. If I remember correctly the case that came with the spark has two separate slots for batteries, and enough space for one on the drone, do that's good enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis