Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Home-point has been set please check it on the map?

DesCas

Join
Sep 26, 2017
I recently purchased the DJI Spark fly more package. I notice that after I do a compass calibration when I fly at a new location I will hear "the home-point has been set please check it on the map" Then if I go to 2 or 3 different locations it will do the same thing only one time, because if I go back to these locations and do the compass calibration I never hear; "the home-point has been set please check it on the map" Shouldn't I hear that all the time??? I am using a Samsung Galexy Note 5, with an OTG cable connected to the phone and controller.

You should hear that announcement each time you start up your Spark. Either way, make sure you check the map to verify the home point has been set at the Spark's current location before taking off.

I recently purchased the DJI Spark fly more package. I notice that after I do a compass calibration when I fly at a new location I will hear "the home-point has been set please check it on the map" Then if I go to 2 or 3 different locations it will do the same thing only one time, because if I go back to these locations and do the compass calibration I never hear; "the home-point has been set please check it on the map" Shouldn't I hear that all the time??? I am using a Samsung Galexy Note 5, with an OTG cable connected to the phone and controller.
Why on earth are you doing a compass calibration when you change location?
Totally unnecessary and you run the risk of introducing an erroneous calibration and losing your Spark.
Calibrate it once and leave it alone!

Why on earth are you doing a compass calibration when you change location?
Totally unnecessary and you run the risk of introducing an erroneous calibration and losing your Spark.
Calibrate it once and leave it alone!
Actually he is the smart one doing a compass calibration each time at a new location.... I do the same and have never had a single issue. Even flying at the same location every day I still do a compass calibration before my first flight.

Why risk a fly away just because you didn't want to do a compass dance...

Reactions: TrooperDrone
Actually he is the smart one doing a compass calibration each time at a new location.... I do the same and have never had a single issue. Even flying at the same location every day I still do a compass calibration before my first flight.

Why risk a fly away just because you didn't want to do a compass dance...
The dangers of doing a magnetometer calibration every flight or every location change along with the scientific reasons why it is a bad idea are well documented so I will not go into it again.
There is nothing smart about calibrating every flight. It simply shows a poor understanding of the technology.

The dangers of doing a magnetometer calibration every flight or every location change along with the scientific reasons why it is a bad idea are well documented so I will not go into it again.
There is nothing smart about calibrating every flight. It simply shows a poor understanding of the technology.

I would like to see the scientific reasons, everything I’ve ever been told by anybody from the drone world has said to always recalibrate the compass before flying.

Same for me... everything I read and have been told by professionals is to calibrate every time you change a location even if only by a few km's. There is no such case where doing a calibration broke the compass.... plenty of evidence that suggests a quick fly without a calibration will cause a fly away....

Reactions: TrooperDrone
Same for me... everything I read and have been told by professionals is to calibrate every time you change a location even if only by a few km's. There is no such case where doing a calibration broke the compass.... plenty of evidence that suggests a quick fly without a calibration will cause a fly away....
At what point in any of posts did I say a calibration can damage the magnetometer? :rolleyes:
The 'Professionals' you have spoken to clearly have absolutely no idea what they are talking about if they advocate a calibration every flight or position change.
A simple understanding of what is actually being achieved when a calibration takes place and why it is done will enlighten you as to why it is bad practice and can potentially introduce an error for the magnetic declination of the intended flight location.

At what point in any of posts did I say a calibration can damage the magnetometer? :rolleyes:
The 'Professionals' you have spoken to clearly have absolutely no idea what they are talking about if they advocate a calibration every flight or position change.
A simple understanding of what is actually being achieved when a calibration takes place and why it is done will enlighten you as to why it is bad practice and can potentially introduce an error for the magnetic declination of the intended flight location.
So calibrating for my current location that I intend to fly in will cause errors? Strange as your the only person in 4 months to say that about preflight checks for the Spark....

It can't damage the magnetometer... a crash will tho.

While the calibration is not needed (as long as you have a good calibration to begin with), if you do recalibrate in a bad spot you could end up hurting yourself and not helping yourself. You want a good calibration and to achieve that you want to be in an open area away from anything metal/magnetic/cell phone/watch etc when you calibrate. Once you have a good calibration it should not be necessary to calibrate for every flight or flight location change. I do personally however re-calibrate at any new location I fly or when the DJI app prompts me to recalibrate.

So while “The Editor” is right, it could have been said in a different way.

Reactions: 1px0ff
Compass calibration really isn't needed unless you are using new launch points every 50-100 miles apart or if you are in a dense jungle of skyscrapers.

Many digital compasses already perform calibrations several times a second and can compensate for magnetic objects so long as they have enough info about the size and intensity of the distortion the magnetic object causes. The compass dance isn't really calibrating the compass so much as it is performing a local area scan for any large magnetic interference sources and compensating for them. If done wrong or the interference is too much to compensate for, the sensor might do a 180 and cause a drastic error in the flight data and cause the on-board flight controller to do erratic things.

Compass calibrations really only need to be done if the sensor data in the app shows excessive interference during initial startup.

Think of it like this, how often do you perform a calibration of your car's tire pressure? Every single time you want to drive to the corner store or when the system indicates a tire is low? There is a middle ground of performing this maintenance at regular intervals without being excessive. It's a very rough analogy but I hope it helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmirOmerov