Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hot batteries

yycwrangler

Join
Feb 15, 2018
Just took my spark and batteries out of my black styrofoam Case that the spark is shipped in. Great case for solidly holding the spark. Last used 3 weeks ago and batteries charged before putting away.

Flying tomm so took them out of case to make sure full charge. The spare batteries feeling hot to touch when brought out of styrofoam case. Spark and battery slightly warm.

Put them in my hub to charge. Spark charging fine. Other two batteries flashing orange and now solid orange.

Thoughts
Al

Just took my spark and batteries out of my black styrofoam Case that the spark is shipped in. Great case for solidly holding the spark. Last used 3 weeks ago and batteries charged before putting away.

Flying tomm so took them out of case to make sure full charge. The spare batteries feeling hot to touch when brought out of styrofoam case. Spark and battery slightly warm.

Put them in my hub to charge. Spark charging fine. Other two batteries flashing orange and now solid orange.

Thoughts
Al
Maybe, they were de-charging themselves.
What's their charging level?
Did you let them get cold, before charging them?

Thoughts
Al
You can't charge hot batteries

I guess my concern is why we’re they hot in the case after being there for 3 weeks. Would that not be a fire hazard

I guess my concern is why we’re they hot in the case after being there for 3 weeks. Would that not be a fire hazard

After about 10 days of stoarge, they will self discharge to a safe level and during this process they generate heat, which is normal. The foam case may keep them warmer since the heat can't dissipate as fast but I'm sure they are fine.

LiPo batteries don't like to be fully charged and sitting around, it will shorten the life of the battery.

DJI Spark batteries are "intelligent" meaning there's a chip inside monitoring the status of the battery at all times.

It's best to store them discharged and charge before a flight, not a week before a flight.

Thoughts
Al

Suggest you put all 3 batteries in the charging hub and see what indications you get on each battery. These SMART batteries monitor and control their own charge state, even when not connected to a charging hub. Depending on the “blink rate” and which LED is flashing (LED2, 3 or 4) will determine what has occurred. Battery LED’s should only flash green.

Last edited:
I really really suggest you read the manual and watch as much as you can about how all this stuff works..These models are not toys maybe we really do need some sort of class so people who want to fly that are completely cluless can saftely operate them.

Sometimes I recharge in the car and after reading that it is good to allow the battery to cool down at least 20 minutes before charging, I just leave it in an open box as I drive and after a while, I start charging it.

Reactions: horton
Just a tip - number every one of your batteries and use them in sequence so they get used equally. If you don't number them, you may use one or the other more times which may not be so good in the longer term.

I went to take my batteries out my spark flying bag and they was warm to the touch. I have my discharge set to 2 days. I checked one battery in the spark and it was discharging itself. They do get warm when that limit hits and the start discharging.
So now when I know I'm not going to be flying I take the batteries out and leave them on the shelf rather than them being wrapped up in a flight bag. Just my two cents.

Reactions: horton
Another two cents worth.

The battery can be turned ON while not on the aircraft if the button accidentally gets pressed in the correct sequence whether by handling it or loose in a bag.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar