Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I could cheerfully strangle Dji software idiots.

Brojon

Join
Jul 23, 2018
Ok - my first Spark was a fly more so the controller was bound. I didn't have too many issues updating the firmware and getting it to fly. But it had stiff motors so I sent it back and got a simple combo with Spark & controller.
Dji software geeks and engineers should be forced to sit in a room and listen to the complaints
I am very experienced with this sort of thing but the Spark has me seeing red it's so damned stupid to get past the asinine restrictions.
First I connected the Spark to Dji Assistant and updated drone firmware. Ok
Connected the phone - S7 Edge (no SIM card) - to the remote and did the wifi dance to get the remote firmware updated.
ok
Restarted the controller and verified connected via wifi
At this point I could see both the Spark and the controller wifi when I started.
Entered aircraft in Go 4 at which point it wants to bind to aircraft. Long push power button - one beep and voila she binds.
Go to enter aircraft and I have to activate. At this point it refuses to activate even with the wifi dance. To really tick me off I can't leave that page I have to kill Dji Go 4 and start over.
So I figure I'll simply connect direct to the aircraft.
Nope - now I can't see the Spark wifi - AT ALL.
Used Dji Assistant to reset Spark to factory. That doesn't work either.
oh - and somewhere in the wifi dance it gets the notion that the wifi doesn't match my geographical region and I think it said it's disabled.
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR A CONSUMER PRODUCT DJI!!!!
So how do I activate this thing - I didn't have anywhere near this difficulty with the fly more package.

You obviously missed the part where I tried all that.
In fact I had to install Dji Go 4 on my iPhone so that it could connect with both wifi and cellular to get the job done.
I don't think this should be necessary - as a software engineer I KNOW it isn't desirable or necessary.
You can determine status when the aircraft is hooked up - take your pick, either stash the info locally or on the aircraft.
If you can see the unit isn't activated you can have the wizard that lead you through the steps and even switch wifi for you.
This BS of making the user do all the heavy lifting in the correct sequence while holding your tongue just right is simply bad coding.
This doesn't even address the "rightness" of making you jump through hoops to register your aircraft, connecting etc etc. This should be entirely capable of being performed without ever hooking up the aircraft - it already knows how to scan the serial number from the box so why all the hooplah? It should just be a simple menu option - Activate new

Reactions: graywoulf
You're right, I just responded to your rant.
It's a hassle..
Myselves: I run modded 4.1.15 (android) and had to uninstall it to update RC fw though latest official GO app. Obviously uninstalled Go app after fw update, and installed the rocksteady 4.1.15 mod again.
Proper version history would also be welcomed..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast