Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I downed my HK in the Gulf of Mexico. (Stupidity)

Skynet HK Aerial

Join
Feb 11, 2018
This past weekend i went down to the Key Largo. I told myself (and my flying buddy) that i wasn't going to take any chances. I was going to be ultra conservative and not push the battery limits. Well, i was stupid and reckless and screwed up.

My first 2 batteries i flew east over the Atlantic and had two great 14min flights. My third, i decided to go west and stay low (under 50 feet).

Unfortunately, as i was returning from 5120ft distance in RTH (with about 30% batt) i was distracted by the sound of helicopter to the south. I didn't have visual and i was worried i didn't see it and i made the mistake of cancelling the RTH and hovering in place (using up precious batt life). When the chopper appeared about a min later (nowhere near my RTH route) i realized i was down to 20% and still 1950ft distance or so. As it got to about 1500ft i hit critical 10% and since i was at only 50ft alt or so i tried to gain alt but it was not enough. It went down into the Gulf 1260 ft from home point.

I had 59 great flights with my Skynet HK. And the last one was very entertaining.

Moral: we are not smarter than the intelligent DJI batteries. Listen to warnings.

RIP

Message_1516671534706-1.jpg

Last edited:
This past weekend i went down to the Key Largo. I told myself (and my flying buddy) that i wasn't going to take any chances. I was going to be ultra conservative and not push the battery limits. Well, i was stupid and reckless and screwed up.

My first 2 batteries i flew east over the Atlantic and had two great 14min flights. My third, i decided to go west and stay low (under 50 feet).

Unfortunately, as i was returning from 5120ft distance in RTH (with about 30% batt) i was distracted by the sound of helicopter to the south. I didn't have visual and i was worried i didn't see it and i made the mistake of cancelling the RTH and hovering in place (using up precious batt life). When the chopper appeared about a min later (nowhere near my RTH route) i realized i was down to 20% and still 1950ft distance or so. As it got to about 1500ft i hit critical 10% and since i was at only 50ft alt or so i tried to gain alt but it was not enough. It went down into the Gulf 1260 ft from home point.

I had 59 great flights with my Skynet HK. And the last one was very entertaining.

Moral: we are not smarter than the intelligent DJI batteries. Listen to warnings.

RIPView attachment 4297 View attachment 4297

A good, but hard, lesson for others.

Carried over from deleted post / thread.....

Aw man, that sucks.

Fortunately the Spark is a little cheaper now so maybe a replacement in the future?

HK Aerial A-1002 :cool::cool:

You called it man!!! A-1002 it will be.

I'll wait a couple more months then shop around.

Sorry to hear it, boss. That's a tough one to swallow. I'm still a bit of a novice pilot, but after hearing horror stories like these, I take no chances over water. Once it hits that point where it wants to return home, that's the end of my fight. Like said earlier, it's a good thing that they have great deals on these little drones now.

Thanks guys. Still kicking myself almost 5 days later. But I'm on the lookout.

Sorry for your lost Spark.

I think if I fly over water a lot I'm going to add a Styrofoam float that I will hack out and attach to the bottom. Either that or maybe some bubble wrap.

I know people have specially designed things so Spark can land in water, but this would just be a hack. At least if it stays at the surface you can take a hair dryer to it, and maybe save it.. Cheaper than sending it to Davy's locker.

Reactions: Skynet HK Aerial
Man, that sucks, so sorry for your loss. Good spirit thou, let us know once you decide to grab another one.

Reactions: Skynet HK Aerial
Sorry for your loss, dude. I suppose we all try to learn from losses and I would guess maybe not try to gain altitude in a low battery situation ( unless necessary) might save some of us from a similar situation? Just guessing.

Thats a bummer, at least you still have your batteries and RC, you could probably get $80 for it toward a new spark since they come with them now. Hope youre back in the air soon. I got a used spark for backup so Im not sparkless if i have to use my DJI care on my original spark. Thats why ive been doing stress tests to share with everyone. That really hurts to hear.

Thats a bummer, at least you still have your batteries and RC, you could probably get $80 for it toward a new spark since they come with them now. Hope youre back in the air soon. I got a used spark for backup so Im not sparkless if i have to use my DJI care on my original spark. Thats why ive been doing stress tests to share with everyone. That really hurts to hear.

Thanks man. I'm looking around. Will prob wait a couple months.

Where are you located, how much you trying to spend, and do you just need a spark? If so I can keep an eye out if something pops up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502