Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I Lost My Spark because of 'non fly zone'

And that very much coincides with what the OP said, "i pulled up the throttle all the time and tried to get it back but it kept just going down." I understand they have coded the software/firmware like that but why not give the pilot the option to fly manually to a safe landing position if there is water underneath? Definitely an oversight on DJI's part.
I would say because with control, you are "flying in a NFZ"
It is the legality of the thing that DJI is trying to prevent?

Reactions: BigAl07
And that very much coincides with what the OP said, "i pulled up the throttle all the time and tried to get it back but it kept just going down." I understand they have coded the software/firmware like that but why not give the pilot the option to fly manually to a safe landing position if there is water underneath? Definitely an oversight on DJI's part.

Oversight? It's resolving a bad situation the only way they can. They can't navigate out of the restricted zone that the operator has put the aircraft in so the only REAL option is to end the flight ASAP.

Let's say for instance DJI coded it to do a direct RTH but the direct line happens to fly deeper into the restricted zone (maybe you flew into it on your return trip...) and in the process of backing out of the Restricted Area it flies into a building or tree or powerline or whatever... then you'd blame DJI for flying INTO an object....

Landing in the safest option IMHO.

Oversight? It's resolving a bad situation the only way they can. They can't navigate out of the restricted zone that the operator has put the aircraft in so the only REAL option is to end the flight ASAP.

Let's say for instance DJI coded it to do a direct RTH but the direct line happens to fly deeper into the restricted zone (maybe you flew into it on your return trip...) and in the process of backing out of the Restricted Area it flies into a building or tree or powerline or whatever... then you'd blame DJI for flying INTO an object....

Totally agree.

It's 100% the pilot's responsibility to be aware of NFZ and avoid them. This behavior only kicks in when the pilot has made a navigational error or ignored an NFZ.

DJI is under governmental pressure to protect the integrity and safety of the airspace. They are required to take steps to minimize risks to manned aircraft even if that means forced landing of consumer drones that enter restricted areas.

As far as DJI is concerned "this is a feature -- not a bug". And it's an easy problem to avoid with some flight planning

... but why not give the pilot the option to fly manually to a safe landing position if there is water underneath? Definitely an oversight on DJI's part.

Because too many people think that safety rules and laws don’t apply to them and will continue to fly in the No Fly Zone.

Bottom line, these are aircraft, not toys. They can cause almost unimaginable damage if they manage to clip a control surface on a passenger plane during what is one of the highest risk phases of flight (takeoff and landing).

Personally, I’m glad that they ground flights in these areas. I don’t want the flight I’m a passenger on to crash because some idiot thought they were more important than anyone else’s safety.

You are making it sound too complicated. Doesn't the Spark give you the option to throttle up and adjust the landing position when the battery runs our below critical level? Although the AC keeps coming down, we can use yaw, pitch and roll all the time. Why can't we have similar controls when we get into a NFZ?

Although sorry for your loss of your Spark NFZ are there for a purpose I Iive a mile from a zone so I have to travel at least 3 mile away before I start flying. Respect DJI Rules ✌?

You are making it sound too complicated. Doesn't the Spark give you the option to throttle up and adjust the landing position when the battery runs our below critical level? Although the AC keeps coming down, we can use yaw, pitch and roll all the time. Why can't we have similar controls when we get into a NFZ?

It's not complicated at all. Just three simple words..

NFZ literately means "NO FLY ZONE"

Most of us learned this stuff at a growing up...
If you break the rules then you must deal with the consequences.

You are essentially trespassing on federal grounds and have waived any protection of your personal property. These are federal regulations. There are penalties for breaking them - forfeiture of your drone is expected --- criminal prosecution is also at the government's discretion..

They aren't going to allow Joe-consumer to override their regulations and jeopardize manned aircraft goofing around to close to an airport.

Reactions: Spark 317

Too complicated? I miss that point entirely my friend. It's fairly simple... if you wander willy nilly into a Restricted Zone the aircraft autolands. Is it the perfect solution? Heck no but there isn't one. I just don't see "allowing" the aircraft to continue to fly a viable option. At least it's not an automatic "POWER DOWN" situation.

Reactions: Andre Levite
As I said in my own flight experience...you are forced to land.
Again, my experience with the Spark, and with a Mavic pro, is that-

The local airport NFZ line , which can be unlocked, runs about 30 ft. from my home, which is inside the zone.
The props won't even start inside the No fly zone, unless I have unlocked it. Under the same situation, I can start the drone outside the zone, but it will just pause (not drop off or land) if I approach the locked zone.
That is why I'm confused about the OP's experience.

Again, my experience with the Spark, and with a Mavic pro, is that-

The local airport NFZ line , which can be unlocked, runs about 30 ft. from my home, which is inside the zone.
The props won't even start inside the No fly zone, unless I have unlocked it. Under the same situation, I can start the drone outside the zone, but it will just pause (not drop off or land) if I approach the locked zone.
That is why I'm confused about the OP's experience.
I think that your note assumes that all NFZ's are considered equally.. As stated in earlier posts that depending on the classification, some NFZ's issue a fly safe warning but allow you to continue to fly. Some NFZs can be unlocked and allow you to fly, but this is not a process you can undertake while your drone is in the air. And of course, the approaches to major airports forbid flying period. You can't take off in them and if you try to enter them while airborne, the software forces the drone to immediately land. If you precheck the areas you intend to near/in the requirements are pretty clear.

Some drone operators seem to either intentionally or ignorantly operate near or at the edge of the performance envelope and then expect DJI to save them. To protect themselves and our hobby from both perspective and actual dangers, DJI rightly will sacrifice the drone rather than airspace violations.

I think the performance parameters are relatively clear. I think it was very poor pre-mission planning to be operating near or testing these boundaries while simultaneously flying over water.

I'm sorry for the OPs loss but hopefully, the rest of us will learn from his experience and do better flight planning.

Reactions: BigAl07
I will find out this summer in Las Vegas.
I am going to get the Fountains at the Bellagio.
1.25m away from runway 19R at McCarran.
Where I am setting up is about 4000 ft away from the red DJI NFZ section.
Plan is to call the tower to notify and fly at 251ft as to comply with LVPD drone privacy law (above 250 ft except for take-off and landings).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav