Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I was reading the Grand Canyon thread, and it got me wondering...

In my area we have sheer cliffs and canyon walls that can be over a thousand feet up. To film these, do I go to the top and drop the Spark down, or do I reset the available height? What about losing contact from top to bottom?

In my area we have sheer cliffs and canyon walls that can be over a thousand feet up. To film these, do I go to the top and drop the Spark down, or do I reset the available height? What about losing contact from top to bottom?

If I lived someplace with thousand foot high cliffs and sheer canyon walls I'd take footage from BOTH vantage points.

Take some shots from the canyon floor flying upwards. Then take some leaving from the top of cliff and descending down the face. Both sound great.

Just remember when going over edge of cliff and descending that if could be hard to keep Spark and RC in line of sight. If Spark descends below the "horizon" the ground you are standing upon will block signal. Can you really get that close to the cliff edge and still stand safely?

I hate to start a debate but I just thought of something interesting -- when standing on top of cliff and your Spark flies over the edge it will be 1,000+ feet above ground level (the canyon floor) -- this is an FAA violation. Super strange situation because Spark is actually flying below your feet yet it's too "high". Mind Blown!

I Iate to start a debate but I just thought of something interesting -- when standing on top of cliff and your Spark flies over the edge it will be 1,000+ feet above ground level (the canyon floor) -- this is an FAA violation. Super strange situation because Spark is actually flying below your feet yet it's too "high". Mind Blown!

I thought that in a case like that it was like when flying within 400' of a structure that you can go 400' above that structure.

I thought that in a case like that it was like when flying within 400' of a structure that you can go 400' above that structure.

That is how I would choose to interpret it as well. I've seen it done at Niagra Falls and the park's rules seem to imply that it's okay.

Me too, but we could start a thread about the lowest anyone has ever flown a Spark :D. I'll start: I live about 2 meters below sea-level so every flight starts at -6 ft ASL. Top that!

Since most of us are going to be above that altitude, topping that is practically a given. ?
#sorrynotsorry

Reactions: Multikoe
If I lived someplace with thousand foot high cliffs and sheer canyon walls I'd take footage from BOTH vantage points.

Take some shots from the canyon floor flying upwards. Then take some leaving from the top of cliff and descending down the face. Both sound great.

Just remember when going over edge of cliff and descending that if could be hard to keep Spark and RC in line of sight. If Spark descends below the "horizon" the ground you are standing upon will block signal. Can you really get that close to the cliff edge and still stand safely?

I hate to start a debate but I just thought of something interesting -- when standing on top of cliff and your Spark flies over the edge it will be 1,000+ feet above ground level (the canyon floor) -- this is an FAA violation. Super strange situation because Spark is actually flying below your feet yet it's too "high". Mind Blown!
Posted my first video today, more coming

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers