Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is upgrading worth it?

Does the range booster really, really works?
I am saying definitely yes. In fcc mode, OTG, and boosters on I have managed to gain about 30% distance. More important for me is the signal stability offered from them. The cost is minimal and in my opinion you should try them.

Ha Mike,
I have both, started with a Mavic Pro 18 months ago, bought the Spark 2 months ago, as a backup.

To answers just your questions; yes, the Mavic Pro's camera is quite better, at least it gives you much more possibilitys (RAW photo's, 4k video output, settings to choose different color and sharpness presets, etc. Be aware that this also means much more things can go wrong, and it is exactly what I love so much about my Spark; switch it on, hit record and fly. No worries about all those pesky settings! It provides for absolutely stress free flying. Know though, that a big part of the camera is the gimball. The Mavic Pro's gimball is superior to that of the Spark, and you really notice it; you can fly really smooth shots with the Mavic, where there with the Spark you always run the risk that it reacts a bit choppy.

Range-wise, yes, the Mavic Pro has a range far superior to that of the Spark. In my case, the maximum I have flown my Mavic Pro is about 1600m (in CE mode). At that range, it will give you some warnings when flying low, but nothing real scary. My Spark, I had to put it in FCC mode, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to fly it across a football field! The distance is not such a very big issue to me (even though it can be really cool to fly it at a 1000m away), it is more that the Mavic Pro's is so much more robust. I hardly ever worry about losing connection to the Mavic, whereas with the Spark, there is always this little voice in the back of my head telling me to not fly too far away.

There are many other differences between the two that can matter, depending on how you (want to) use them. Feel free to ask!
I hope this helps!
Cheers, Joost
Top reactie Joost, bedankt! Thnx.

Thanks to everyone. I bought a parabolic extender and will try it this week. Very curious about it. Its difficult to make a choice, because the spark is newer and mpro a little bit older... Hum hum..

I am saying definitely yes. In fcc mode, OTG, and boosters on I have managed to gain about 30% distance. More important for me is the signal stability offered from them. The cost is minimal and in my opinion you should try them.
Can you tell me your final range you got with the extender? And what kind of terrain did you have?

Just talked about this with some senior pilot at my place.. For video he said go for phantom 4.. Otherwise just stick with spark.. Phantom 4 is great for pics and vid due to thier wide angle lens but the battery is nowhere cheap. For frequent fly spark still is the best..

I think they are designed for two different purposes, and they both function best within their target purpose. Personally, I don't care about range so much - I live in the PNW and once I'm a quarter mile out or so, there are so many trees here that I lose line of sight,so what's the point of 7 km for me? I tend to take pictures/videos of events or objects where I am close so for me, the weakness would be the gimbal and camera. I will, at some point upgrade, but I will keep the Spark because, as others said, it doesn't require an act of congress to launch.

Top reactie Joost, bedankt! Thnx.
You're welcome mate!
Whereabouts in the Netherlands are you located? I am in Dordrecht, and often in the Utrechtse Heuvelrug. I'd be happy to get together and let you fly the Mavic for a bit if you want. Let me know!

Hello all,

I fly +/- 2 months with my Spark. It's awesome... There are two things what can be better...

- The camera: i only use drone for good pictures, very ocasionally i make movies. When i shoot pictures, and look to them after the flight the image is not very sharp when zoom in a little bit.
The edges are blurry. I shoot in auto mode.

- The range: rarely i got 1000+ m, but mostly it gives disconnect errors and laggy video after 400-500m. I fly in FCC mode with OTG cable. I never ever got 2000m range!

So, i was thinking about the options to solve these 2 things. One of these options is to sell the Spark and buy a Mavic Pro. But is it worth? Is the 7km range really? Are the images much more better?

Any tips very welcome!!
You want great pictures get the Mavic 2 Hasalbald

even though I also upgraded to higher level drones quality of spark video is very pleasing

I am keeping it.
Is this Spark? Seems like it with video quality.
I really like this video. Not so much because of the Spark, or subject matter, etc... but the stick techniques.
I've watched this several times, and think I see several different techniques. Certainly, right stick back, and left stick to the right, but it also seems like right stick diagonal at times. Trying to figure it out. Extraordinarily smooth for Spark yaw.

Range booster adds another bar. It's not that great unless you need a bit more. You can have mine for free. That must tell you something.

I am a couple of weeks into spark ownership. This inexpensive drone is costing me a fortune lol! Adding 2 batteries to the three I have already. My only complaint with the Spark is flight time? Almost got in trouble today as my battery was "critically low, landing", I was over a body of water.
I hit pause, looked at the direction the drone was facing and flew it back. I landed with about 20 seconds left. Ooops.

I will be looking for black Friday deals on a pro platinum or pro2

Can you tell me your final range you got with the extender? And what kind of terrain did you have?
I have never test it for max range yet, but I have managed to achieve about 1200m easily without any "hiccups" from my balcony at a very dense urban area.

You're welcome mate!
Whereabouts in the Netherlands are you located? I am in Dordrecht, and often in the Utrechtse Heuvelrug. I'd be happy to get together and let you fly the Mavic for a bit if you want. Let me know!
I'm from the East of The Netherlands, (in the east of Gelderland/Achterhoek) ;) .

Well, i tested the parabolic extender yesterday and had a increase of 150m.That's not so much, but yes a little bit increase. I had the feeling the livestream was a little bit more stable with the extender. Less lags than before. The only disadvantage (in my eyes) is that you have to point the extender EXACTLY (!) to the Spark, otherwise you will decrease your range and connections losts after 500m (FCC mode). Sometimes that is difficult (when there are obstacles on the "road". Total distance was 1800m yesterday, and just saw the drone led's blinking, still in LOS :-D (it was getting dark)
So, not bad for the little Sparkie :)
We have large empty areas here in our town with some nice ditches and so on, so i wanna go further to make great pics. I am still thinking to get a extra drone, the Mavic Air or pro... But i am not so sure if these 2 boys really adds value. The camera from the spark (image for sure!!) quality could be a little bit better i think.
But, after reading some comments over here (thank you very much!) i am less certain that Mavic AIR/PRO are be better...

Oh wow, other side of the country that is!
Regarding wanting to add another drone maybe, I think the Mavic Pro would be a nice addition, the Mavic Air would be a nice replacement/step up;
As for me, I bring the Spark when I plan to do something nice and hope to maybe fly the drone, I bring the MAvPro when I plan to go droning somewhere.

Sounds like for you, you don't really need more range, but do like the portability and would like a better camera.... sounds like a Mavic Air to me! :)

Ultmately, I would love to replace my Mavic Pro with a MAvic 2 Pro, and the Spark with a Mavic Air. Sadly, not portable charging station for the Air available though.

Oh wow, other side of the country that is!
Regarding wanting to add another drone maybe, I think the Mavic Pro would be a nice addition, the Mavic Air would be a nice replacement/step up;
As for me, I bring the Spark when I plan to do something nice and hope to maybe fly the drone, I bring the MAvPro when I plan to go droning somewhere.

Sounds like for you, you don't really need more range, but do like the portability and would like a better camera.... sounds like a Mavic Air to me! :)

Ultmately, I would love to replace my Mavic Pro with a MAvic 2 Pro, and the Spark with a Mavic Air. Sadly, not portable charging station for the Air available though.

I’m looking at upgrading from the spark and can’t decide on the air or pro. I like the portability of the spark and the size of the air. I also like the occusync so I haven’t really made up my mind. FYI smatree makes a portable charging station for the air. It’s just like the one they make for the spark.

Reactions: JoostGT3
I’m looking at upgrading from the spark and can’t decide on the air or pro. I like the portability of the spark and the size of the air. I also like the occusync so I haven’t really made up my mind. FYI smatree makes a portable charging station for the air. It’s just like the one they make for the spark.

Thanks, I didn't know that!
To be fair, Occusync is kind of fantastic. I hardly ever have near disconnects, only happens when I am deliberately pushing it.
Even though the size of the Mavic Pro was a game changer when it was introduced, it is comparable to taking a DSLR in a small day pack; kinda heavy and bulky when going hiking or so. I think for portability, the Air is a winner. Image quality is a toss-up between the Air and the Pro.

Thanks, I didn't know that!
To be fair, Occusync is kind of fantastic. I hardly ever have near disconnects, only happens when I am deliberately pushing it.
Even though the size of the Mavic Pro was a game changer when it was introduced, it is comparable to taking a DSLR in a small day pack; kinda heavy and bulky when going hiking or so. I think for portability, the Air is a winner. Image quality is a toss-up between the Air and the Pro.[/QUOTE

Here is the link so you can check it out. Smatree Charging Station for DJI Mavic Air (up to 5-8 Mavic Air Batteries)-Smatree Gopro Accessory

I do not have any problems with the Spark. Ive taken her out to 7000ft no problems, but from all the reading it seams the Air is or can be a problem Child with disconnects. Ive seen videos of people not even getting 3500 ft out and having a disconnect. Are they really that Bad?Who knows. I sure would hate to be disappointed. I've read the air and pro are very similar in image quality. If I can get consistent 7000 ft with the air I would get it only because of its portability. Most likely I will go with the air but still thinking about it. After all Ive read a ton of bad stuff about the spark and she's been really good to me. Knocking on wood.

I'll bet there are going to be some great sales coming up on the Mavic Pro, now that the new models are out. I just found a place that has the MP fly more combo on sale for $899, and it's not even a Black Friday price. While I love my Spark and have only started to learn all it can do, It seems like the MP at $899 is a steal....but as I said, I think the price will be even lower this fall. Here's the link to the sale...I have one in cart, waiting for my inner child to say "do it" !

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

They had the MP's alone for $499 but I believe they are all gone...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers