Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is upgrading worth it?

I do not have any problems with the Spark. Ive taken her out to 7000ft no problems, but from all the reading it seams the Air is or can be a problem Child with disconnects. Ive seen videos of people not even getting 3500 ft out and having a disconnect. Are they really that Bad?Who knows. I sure would hate to be disappointed. I've read the air and pro are very similar in image quality. If I can get consistent 7000 ft with the air I would get it only because of its portability. Most likely I will go with the air but still thinking about it. After all Ive read a ton of bad stuff about the spark and she's been really good to me. Knocking on wood.
7000ft distance with the Spark! Distance or flight distance travelled? I am flying my Spark in FCC mode, and never had it further than 350m (1000ft) distance. Max distance travelled is 2650m (8000ft) for me. After that the battery was empty.

7000ft distance with the Spark! Distance or flight distance travelled? I am flying my Spark in FCC mode, and never had it further than 350m (1000ft) distance. Max distance travelled is 2650m (8000ft) for me. After that the battery was empty.
7000 ft fcc round trip straight out and back. I mis spoke. Not bad though

Wow, I don't know how you do that tbh!
It obviously depends on the conditions. One time I did 2.12 km (slightly less than 7,000 ft) roundtrip and still had almost 50% battery left. So that little thing could have gone another 5,000 ft easily. I think you can get more distance flying in Sport mode, since it covers more ground faster, but doesn't drain the battery proportionally as fast.

1537391500764.png

I recently went to a mavic pro and since doing so haven't flown my spark.

Pros for mavic

Speed - it's so much faster which means more distance
Distance - just goes so far I took mine 2 miles without even thinking.
Battery life (I don't have to worry about)

Pros for spark

Size it's tiny
Noise - it's super quiet
Footprint - you can't see it beyond 50 ft which is good and and it means others can't see it so chances of getting caught is less.
Quicker to deploy.

Does the range booster really, really works?
I won't fly without it. The 2 add-ons I have to have every time I take off is the range extender and the battery clip. Over open water I have been able to reach out 9300 feet. Without the extenders maybe 6000 tops.

Reactions: Mikey87
Well I did it. I bought a brand new Mavic Pro. I’m not going to get rid of ole sparky though. Hope this one flies as well if not better

Reactions: JoostGT3
Wow, I don't know how you do that tbh!
ShooooooT!! I made it 10,467ft w/my Spark!!!.... 878200F2-CBE6-44A8-A94C-78A5ABC9281D.jpeg But on the other hand, that was nearly 2 Months before it decided ALLLL on its own, to at 2mins into flight 900ft out & 260ft high & in clear view! To disconnect from my controller using range extenders& hardwired otg cable! Decided NOT to return home on disconnecting & fly away permanently!!!!.... Followed by DJIs “team” telling me you did everything correctly but the flight record just sporadically ended & we can’t tell what happened after that, So sorry about your luck! Heres a MEASILY 30% off coupon to help replace your 4 month old drone that you personally are at NO FAULT for its loss!!!!..... HA!! Yeah! One year warranty my ***!!!!

I recently went to a mavic pro and since doing so haven't flown my spark.

Pros for mavic

Speed - it's so much faster which means more distance
Distance - just goes so far I took mine 2 miles without even thinking.
Battery life (I don't have to worry about)

Pros for spark

Size it's tiny
Noise - it's super quiet
Footprint - you can't see it beyond 50 ft which is good and and it means others can't see it so chances of getting caught is less.
Quicker to deploy.
So this is my problem now, I am going to be picking up a mavic pro. I don't really want to sell my spark since I have almost 700 invested and know I'd be lucky to get half of that back. However I don't foresee flying the spark much if I own a mavic. I'll probably end up holding on to it, never use it and sell it for 200 in 3 years when I get sick of looking at it.

I just bought my Spark, 5 batteries, charger, etc a few weeks ago and enjoy it but I see I will definitely outgrow it. I want the pro 2 and hoping for a good black Friday or cyber Monday deal. Unless I see a good deal before. But $1400-1500 just for the drone, ouch! My biggest complaint is video lag, I have to wait for it to catch up. Looking forward to Ocusync!

I'll probably keep the spark for smaller areas and to show people how they work.

Well I did it. I bought a brand new Mavic Pro. I’m not going to get rid of ole sparky though. Hope this one flies as well if not better
Congrats!! Which model did you get? I'm really wanting one too, but still having fun & learning my Spark. Great deals on the original MP right now....Are they discontinuing the original MP?

So this is my problem now, I am going to be picking up a mavic pro. I don't really want to sell my spark since I have almost 700 invested and know I'd be lucky to get half of that back. However I don't foresee flying the spark much if I own a mavic. I'll probably end up holding on to it, never use it and sell it for 200 in 3 years when I get sick of looking at it.
I just purchased a Mavic Pro as well. I intend to keep the Spark forever! It's fun and an entirely different drone from the MP. The Spark has 4 rotors and so does the MP. Other than that they fill different niches. I found an exceptional deal on the MP or I would have waited for Xmas. I wanted the MP for serious photo/video use. The Spark is for casual pictures and just playin' around!
PS. Let me know if you decide to sell the Spark. I'm thinking I need a spare:D
You can never have too many drones.........
PS.PS. Used Sparks arre on eBay starting under $200

My biggest complaint is video lag, I have to wait for it to catch up. Looking forward to Ocusync!

I had the same problem with my Spark but, when I borrowed my wife's phone to see if it was any better than my old one, I discovered that a better phone was the solution. Video lag simply has not been an issue with the LG Stylo 3 I'm using now. It was $129 at WalMart.

Ocusync isn't magic, but you will probably think it is, the first time you use it. My Mavic Pro is superior to my Spark in every way, but I have no plans of deserting Ole' Sparky. It allows me to fly in situations where I would never be able to feel comfortable with a larger drone. Sparky looks like a toy, and I hope to do all I can to preserve that illusion.

I bought a brand new IPAD 9.7” 2018 for a dedicated drone tablet. It happens mostly in sport mode but it does happen when not in sport mode.

I had the same problem with my Spark but, when I borrowed my wife's phone to see if it was any better than my old one, I discovered that a better phone was the solution. Video lag simply has not been an issue with the LG Stylo 3 I'm using now. It was $129 at WalMart.

Ocusync isn't magic, but you will probably think it is, the first time you use it. My Mavic Pro is superior to my Spark in every way, but I have no plans of deserting Ole' Sparky. It allows me to fly in situations where I would never be able to feel comfortable with a larger drone. Sparky looks like a toy, and I hope to do all I can to preserve that illusion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502