Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is using a 12.9" iPad with the Spark RC actually practical?

Jeff K

Join
Mar 1, 2018
Hi All,

I'm both a new spark owner and new drone flyer so the last couple of weeks have been a fun learning experience.

I'm currently using my iPhone 7 with the RC to control the spark but my eyesight isn't what it could be and I just can't read the iPhone screen properly. I can't afford a new tablet so my other option is my 12.9" iPad Pro.

I know I can use something like a MavMount to mount it to my RC but is that really practical? I can imagine the whole thing being top heavy and hard to use. Anyone actually happily using one? Is there a better option for mounting it to the RC?

All advice appreciated...

Hi All,

I'm both a new spark owner and new drone flyer so the last couple of weeks have been a fun learning experience.

I'm currently using my iPhone 7 with the RC to control the spark but my eyesight isn't what it could be and I just can't read the iPhone screen properly. I can't afford a new tablet so my other option is my 12.9" iPad Pro.

I know I can use something like a MavMount to mount it to my RC but is that really practical? I can imagine the whole thing being top heavy and hard to use. Anyone actually happily using one? Is there a better option for mounting it to the RC?

I love my MavMount. Haven't located anything that looks/works better.

I've used my 12.9 Ipad Pro with a Mavmount for my Mavic Pro and Spark. My primary device is an Ipad Mini 4 and also use my Apple Ipad Air 2....

Its actually pretty cool with such a large screen, the things or details you can see is pretty cool. I got some images of beavers working/playing in a stream that I would not have seen if I was using my Mini or Iphone.

The cool thing about the Mavmount is you can get the balance right so that its pretty well balanced over the remote. I would definitely recommend getting the lanyard if you are going to use your Ipad Pro.

So its doable and its not too bad especially considering how much flight time you get out of a spark....

Hi All,

That's good to hear. I like the idea of a larger screen. Didn't want to order a MavMount and then find the 12.9" wasn't practical.

Just curious - If I get a smaller iPad later in the year, will I be able to update the holder or will I have to buy a complete new MavMount?

That's good to hear. I like the idea of a larger screen. Didn't want to order a MavMount and then find the 12.9" wasn't practical.

Just curious - If I get a smaller iPad later in the year, will I be able to update the holder or will I have to buy a complete new MavMount?

Check with the MavMount folks to make sure.

Hmmm... apparently the forum software won't let me edit on a Mac. Anyway, they sell the adapters separately which s great. Looks like a MavMount is the way to go.

Yes they do. I have a their spring loaded mount for my Ipad Mini.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502