Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Its going to be scorching hot - safe to fly?

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
Greets Pilots....

So this weekend we are heading into a stretch of rather hot (at least in these parts) weather... I searched the forum, all the temp threads seem to be about cold.... so we are supposed to sit around 36c or almost 99f for a couple of days.. I generally only do one-battery flights so far, I know its the battery that has temperature sensitivity... however, just wondering if its okay to fly the bird at those temps anyway... whats the real world take on this?

We dont have AC at the farm house, so thinking I will just hang out under the prop-wash:p

0-104 degrees Fahrenheit operating temperature per DJI.

The battery will get hotter.

I completed a flight the other day and the battery was 50 degrees Celsius.

Thanks... its a long weekend here (Canada Day on Monday) so looking forward to as much flying as I can squeeze in around the "honey-do" list :mad:

I misquoted, it's 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit.

I live in southwest Florida I fly in really HOT weather daily I just check my batt temps DJI go will tell you when it's to hot!!

I flew at 43 Deg C (109 F ) and my phone(Samsung note 5 ) shut all apps down ...luckily was flying with the RC ..so brought the little spark home ..I have a few batteries so now I am just careful to check the phones heat

The issue I have, in Sunny Hot Florida, is the iOS devices. My iPhone 7+ will dim the screen, as the phone heats up, to protect the innards. The screen will eventually (5-10 minutes) get so dim I can’t see the UI.

My iPad Air 2 will just shut down. No warning no dimming.

I purchased a cooling fan for the iPhone that runs off the RC but haven’t tested it in the heat.

DJI Go 4 app runs very hot. So outside temp is a real factor for me.

Yes i actually have had that same problem with my ipad mini so now i try to find some kind of shade for me and my device as for the aircraft you be fine. By the way i live in Ft Myers where you located

I figure this time of year when it hot like this, I'm hanging out in the shade regardless, I haven't flown my since February so I'm not too excited about since

One thing to remember is that with wind or even a steady breeze, the air movement will still help keep things cool. I really wouldn't worry about flying today. Go for it.

As far as your phone or tablet, stay in the shade. Try not to have any apps running in the back ground. Also, if you have your phone or tablet in a protective case, take it out so that the heat being generated isn't being contained in the case.

Last edited:
That’s good to know that the RC will still get it back if phone shuts down in flight for any reason.
Just a side note on that. Technically you don't need a phone at all to fly. Sync the spark and RC and your good to go. I wouldn't recommend that since you obviously won't have any Telemetry or anything, but at the same time it's always good to know in case your phone dies or shuts off (or overheats) or whatever. Me personally, if I'm flying inside I usually don't bother connecting my iPad.

Yes i actually have had that same problem with my ipad mini so now i try to find some kind of shade for me and my device as for the aircraft you be fine. By the way i live in Ft Myers where you located

I’m in Sarasota. Love it!

I had an incident flying in 90 plus degrees weather. After taking a few precaution it has not happen to me again.:)
Here's my tip - After you fly that 1'st battery, let the drone sit and cool off completely before you take off again. Don't do this in front of an AC or whatever, let it cool off by itself.
If you don't, you will deffo risk over heating and a potential drop (crash). Them motors over heat quickly and the Spark will not elevate. When pushing the sticks to go up, it will just drop downwards on you. Be alert and as soon as you notice that something is off --> land it and let it cool off. Then you should have zero issues. :cool:

I had an incident flying in 90 plus degrees weather. After taking a few precaution it has not happen to me again.:)
Here's my tip - After you fly that 1'st battery, let the drone sit and cool off completely before you take off again. Don't do this in front of an AC or whatever, let it cool off by itself.
If you don't, you will deffo risk over heating and a potential drop (crash). Them motors over heat quickly and the Spark will not elevate. When pushing the sticks to go up, it will just drop downwards on you. Be alert and as soon as you notice that something is off --> land it and let it cool off. Then you should have zero issues. :cool:
I think what your describing is battery fatigue/failure. The motors do not overheat quickly unless stalled. Batteries do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar