Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just bought Spark, reading about battery falling out issues. Is it possible I have the old batteries?

Raym0016

Join
Dec 29, 2018
I got the fly more combo from Best Buy. Of course it could be old stock but it seems as if they fixed the issue with the batteries so long ago, there is little chance I have the old batteries, Right? Going to get some O-Rings just in case but a quick glance at the batteries show a smaller tab I think (Not much to compare to). I bought a third battery off amazon and it should be here in a few days and hopefully that will give me a better comparison (assuming it is new). O rings will be used regardless but shouldn't the old batteries be out of stock by now?

Here's a comparison:

Spark-Battery-Design-Change.jpg

Even with the new battery design you must be mindful of getting a solid insertion each time. Just requires some attention.

And removing the batteries aggressively will wear the tabs or weaken the springs.
Battery can be connected (loosely) without tabs fully engaged once this happens. I suspect some of those battery ejections were not fully inserted to begin with.

Add "better battery locking mechanism" to wish list for Spark 2.0

Based on my memory of what I looked at this morning, it looks like I have the old mechanism. Disappointing considering how long ago they "fixed" them. Still getting those #141 o rings regardless. Thanks for the responses!

I doubt you have the old style if you bought from Best Buy, but I suppose it's possible. Several members here just bought a bunch of new, old stock batteries that were heavily discounted, so some places do still have them on the shelves....but Best Buy sells a boatload of these things since they price match...I'd really be surprised if they have any old stock.
And like Andre said, even with the new ones it can still be an issue...People have had the new ones fall out mid flight too. I just ordered a battery clamp myself....for a few dollars it's worth the protection!

I doubt you have the old style if you bought from Best Buy, but I suppose it's possible. Several members here just bought a bunch of new, old stock batteries that were heavily discounted, so some places do still have them on the shelves....but Best Buy sells a boatload of these things since they price match...I'd really be surprised if they have any old stock.
And like Andre said, even with the new ones it can still be an issue...People have had the new ones fall out mid flight too. I just ordered a battery clamp myself....for a few dollars it's worth the protection!

The only display case not empty at my local Best Buy houses a dusty GoPro Karma -- talk about outdated merchandise!

No Spark batteries in stock and no orders pending to replenish empty shelves. Looks like they're gonna give up on drones around here. Price matching Amazon may not have been such a great business strategy :cool:

Reactions: tmarez
Another question, Is #141 O-Ring the only size that fits? Is there perhaps another size that would work?

Use a flat rubber band to secure battery. You dont have to worry about the tabs malfunctioning. The tab springs will eventually wear out from normal use.

Attachments

• 13E754F3-80CF-4479-BF28-A49C94E78B63.jpeg
    13E754F3-80CF-4479-BF28-A49C94E78B63.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 103
Just go to your bank and ask for a flat rubber band they use to wrap cash with. Super market use them to bundle asparagus with also. That is probably where mine came from. I found mine lying around the house.

Reactions: JordanGrabe
Or go to WalMart in the office supply section and you can buy a big bag of assorted rubber bands for about a buck. Or you can buy a nice heavy duty battery clamp on EBay for $1.50, from China. That's where I have bought all my little Spark protector accessories, all in that price range, and i guess I've been lucky as they have all been great so far! That's $1.50 delivered to your door, from China....Crazy!

Reactions: tmarez
Found some 2.5” OD o rings at the hardware store that work wonderfully. It’s a simple and elegant solution.

Last edited:
I got the fly more combo from Best Buy. Of course it could be old stock but it seems as if they fixed the issue with the batteries so long ago, there is little chance I have the old batteries, Right? Going to get some O-Rings just in case but a quick glance at the batteries show a smaller tab I think (Not much to compare to). I bought a third battery off amazon and it should be here in a few days and hopefully that will give me a better comparison (assuming it is new). O rings will be used regardless but shouldn't the old batteries be out of stock by now?

there is no issue unless you get false fake batts off ebay.. if you must buy one make sure there genuine its not hard to do they come with a box and a upc number etc if its open box dont trust it or no box...

second thingieverse.com people have made 3d prints of batt holders that clip on... even 2 rubber bands help around the arms and batt if you dont have a 3d printer...

when you get involved in drones buy a 3d printer... buy spare parts.... do alot of research ie youtube forums.. and learn about things like motors and the electronics flight systems etc... then when your 2 years in your considered not a novice.. me ive got 20 plus years i bought the first drone ever at 1 grand back in the 90s called the draganflyer... thing had thermal sensors on it was advanced and no i say noo gps no automation.. but then again i flew 75 mhz cars and planes back in the day so it was old hat.. and the batts were new lipos had barely been out people were blowing them up from over charging and stupidity lol no one knew is it 1 c charge or ... now it dont matter.. but anyway get that batt clip here...

DJI Spark Battery Lock by halilhassan the batt clip

Reactions: mano

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme