Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark with multiple issues!

Medv

Join
Jul 27, 2021
Loc
Rockland County, NY, USA
Hi all,

so I bought my spark combo back in June 2017. Used it like twice, put it away…

fast forward to last week and the 2 batteries don’t work… they won’t charge. I read about how the batteries had to be balanced every 6 months… it has the 1 solid light and the next light blinks and they all flash together.

i have the oem charging board as well but I also tried charging while plugged into the spark and it still won’t charge.

my controller… same thing. I press power button and the first light is solid then the next light blinks, both blink together and then it stops.
Doesn’t charge no matter what power adapter, even iphone charging 12w adapter does nothing.

so I succumbed to buying a new spark battery, it just showed up earlier today and charged it up.

i get home from work, eager to finally connect this **** this (I then learned DJI no longer supports nor makes the spark…)

the spark doesn’t generate wifi!
I tried to use the QR code on the controller, on the storage foam box, even on the inside of the drone where the battery slides in.

“cannot connect” is all I get, I check my phones wifi, the spark wifi is not listed but the drone >IS< powered on. It started up line normal and I hear the air flowing lights on the drone are on and flashing.

so… what do?

did I just get screwed? Should I just hurl this junk into the Sun ☀️ ?????

I’m never.ever.ever.ever.ever buying any DJI junk ever again.

Oh @Medv a very sad story.
First post too, welcome to the forum regardless, hopefully you can work through this one way or the other and enjoy the Spark once again, it IS a great little aircraft.

Leaving the batteries for so long, yes they will no doubt be beyond help as far as normal fixes go.
Controller, same thing, lipo in that would also most likely be finished.

Besides OEM batteries not being made any longer, and almost none left in stores in all parts of the World, no one makes an aftermarket battery !
FYI, DJI have done the same thing to the M1P, and Air drones as well, so while three are many aircraft like these and the Spark out there, they are almost forcing long term obsolescence through not being able to get replacement batteries when eventually needed.

Check this thread, you MAY get something from it to try, or the latest post there shows a member who is rebuilding these batteries . . .

The Spark being obsolete is not causing your wifi issue . . . as your controller seems to be kaput, are you trying to connect this and fly with your phone or other device ?
I've never flown with anything but the controller, so can't help by practical experience.
This might help though . . .

Let us know how you go.

First:

thank you for your lengthy reply, I really do.
but I am saddened, I found a battery supplier. Price is $92 USD per battery.

but if my spark controller is dead… the price for a new one is $200….. so why bother when DJI is shyte ?

i had to buy the battery just to verify the thing still works, but none of the QR codes work.

i think I’m just going to have it blown up and never buy a Chinese DJI again.
I was willing to try and fly it without the controller using just gestures. But I cannot even connect to the drone as no wifi is being detected. So with that caveat, no reason to even buy a new controller!!!!

absolutely livid I must say, I do other hobbies where I use lipo battery and they don’t give me these issues after years of no usage.

Thank you again for your long reply, wish I knew about DJI’s practices years ago.

I would bet the no Wifi issue is probably a user error. When the drone boots up completely. Press and hold the battery button until you hear two beeps. Then try to look for the wifi with your phone.

The battery in the controller can be replaced fairly easily as well if you are willing to open it up.

Thirdly, I would put your location in the USA as maybe someone nearby can help you.

Last edited:
@Medv Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your frustrating experiences with your Spark. Since you have purchased a new battery I would focus on getting your Spark to work with your phone. You can then research whether it is cost effective to replace your controller battery. As NOLADG indicated above your Spark is likely paired with your controller, so you have to get it to pair with your phone. Follow the instructions @NOLADG gave above and you should see your Spark WiFi appear on your phone and then you can pair the two. Can't remember the default p/w but you should be easily able to do a search for it.

You will be limited to a distance of a 100m and a height of 50m but it is better than being grounded and you can use your new battery.

Good luck.

Chris

First:

thank you for your lengthy reply, I really do.
but I am saddened, I found a battery supplier. Price is $92 USD per battery.

but if my spark controller is dead… the price for a new one is $200….. so why bother when DJI is shyte ?

i had to buy the battery just to verify the thing still works, but none of the QR codes work.

i think I’m just going to have it blown up and never buy a Chinese DJI again.
I was willing to try and fly it without the controller using just gestures. But I cannot even connect to the drone as no wifi is being detected. So with that caveat, no reason to even buy a new controller!!!!

absolutely livid I must say, I do other hobbies where I use lipo battery and they don’t give me these issues after years of no usage.

Thank you again for your long reply, wish I knew about DJI’s practices years ago.
You can find used batteries at about 25-50$. Look around the web!

how would one go about trying to renew the battery on the spark controller?

Shows teardown to change battery, antenna, sticks etc.

This M1P controller is very similar, this shows battery change.

Other problems, if you're sure you are not making any errors in the connection attempt, it might be time to either get it to a competent drone repairer, or sell it to someone who hacks drones, they could use it for spares etc.

Many drone repair places might have other things you may need (the controller) or be able to do the battery change and get it all connecting.

Shows teardown to change battery, antenna, sticks etc.

This M1P controller is very similar, this shows battery change.

Other problems, if you're sure you are not making any errors in the connection attempt, it might be time to either get it to a competent drone repairer, or sell it to someone who hacks drones, they could use it for spares etc.

Many drone repair places might have other things you may need (the controller) or be able to do the battery change and get it all connecting.
First let me thank you for dropping all that info for me!
I look at 2 choices: how much to get this hack to flying?

or buy something NOT dji.

????

As your Spark was used with the RC, it is linked to the RC and you will not see the wifi of the spark. You have to reset the Spark so it is not linked anymore to the RC. See below a copy from the manual:
Disconnect the Remote Controller
Apart from using the remote controller, you can control the aircraft using virtual joysticks in DJI GO 4.
However, when the remote controller is linked to the aircraft, virtual joystick control is disabled. You need
to disconnect the remote controller and aircraft to enable virtual joysticks.
1. Power on the aircraft.
2. Press and hold the power button of the Intelligent Flight Battery for six seconds until hearing a double
beep, which will disconnect the remote controller and aircraft.
Connect the aircraft’s Wi-Fi network after disconnecting the remote controller to use virtual joysticks.

cruzroy rehabilitates Spark batts. worth looking him up. Also, you can Google his yt video on how he does it. He has 2 of mine right now!

Don't throw in the towel. I had the exact same issue with a 2nd hand spark. Since I also have a Mavic 2 and Air I was already used to how DJI stufg behaves. Now I have a virtually brand new Spark that works perfectly. Totally worth it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme