Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Landing Gear - Who uses it?

Gibbs

Join
Jul 26, 2017
I have seen endless threads on OM landing gear for the Spark, (and even purchased some myself) however I have found that the Spark palm lands & launches so well that I never land it anywhere else.
I am keen to hear why people aren't just palm landing.
FYI - I am not asking to be smart, I am totally new to drone photography.

I land in the grass, I use them.

If on grass or sand i take off from the top of the bag and just hove n grab instead of landing

I purchased a set as well but they don't work when using the prop guards. They fasten to the arms in the same place as the guards. Oh well, live and learn. I agree that palm launch and landing is adequate for the Spark. I also have a scrap piece of corrugated plastic yard sign I use for a pad if needed.

While I've done both palm take-off and land I don't do it as a matter of practice. Hard/firm surfaces just reduces the risk of dropping it or it falling. There are some Youtube videos of guys palm landing and it sliding off or people moving their hand before the Spark was actually ready to fly...

I also like to have both hands on the remote at the ready should something go South...

I'll palm land if the ground doesn't look even, like rocks or tall grass. But as a matter of practice no...

My spark Has been flawless with RC and not using any automated mode, I do f want to switch modes. Take off from the top of the case, hover n flip to retrieve. It works for me

I've seen the YouTube videos of people grabbing the Spark and twisting it upside down to power off the motors.

Is this a good idea?

I did it once and didn't like the way the motors rev up to try and counteract the rotation.

I understand that this is normal during flight but to do it constantly to shut down seems like unnecessary wear and tear.

And like the OTG cable, I'm sure it's not supported by DJI.

I agree ...did it a few times and seems like it really stresses the bird, also, it's almost slipped out of my hands as it fights me.

Not a fan of third party landing gear. Not worth the decreased flight time. Better to find yourself some sort of landing pad or flat takeoff area.

Flipping works fine for me. I do it quickly so the motors don't have much time to react

As a current Phantom 3 advanced user , I am so used to controlling the drone with the remote control that the palm/gesture features on the spark are not appealing. But the main reason that I use (and totally love) the extenders on my spark is because even though the spark will land very softly I am over concerned about the sensors or gimbal possibly hitting the ground when landing in a hard surface (particullarly if its slightly windy) also when taking off in low grass I would frequently get the "gimbal overload" message because it cannot move freely. The leg extenders totally eliminate these problems.

Attachments

• droney.jpg
    droney.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20170809_141206.jpg
    20170809_141206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: Drones_ES_MD
I usually just try to launch from a fairly flat surface and almost always just pick it off from a hover position and tilt the craft sideways which kills the motors. Works for me

I'll launch from a flat surface then always palm land; I don't even enable gestures, I just get it in place then tell it to land where it is. I've seen it bounce and tilt when landing on even flat ground, and I have PTSD over the terrible auto-landing that the P3S has. Plus, I'm pretty much always launching and landing from places that don't have many flat surfaces, the few, small ones that are there, there are generally tumbles in the case that it screws up!

I have one of the orange disks plus have a folding table if I'm taking off and landing in tall grass or if the dogs are outside, they tend to want to attack it.

Started by launching and landing on the ground but now I only launch from a flat area and catch it. Just took a photos of my brother's wedding and grabbed it right out of the sky. I have a lot of wind here so grabbing it a Lot easier than landing on a dock or boat.......

As a current Phantom 3 advanced user , I am so used to controlling the drone with the remote control that the palm/gesture features on the spark are not appealing. But the main reason that I use (and totally love) the extenders on my spark is because even though the spark will land very softly I am over concerned about the sensors or gimbal possibly hitting the ground when landing in a hard surface (particullarly if its slightly windy) also when taking off in low grass I would frequently get the "gimbal overload" message because it cannot move freely. The leg extenders totally eliminate these problems.

Looks sturdy :) What brand are these legs ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis