Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Landing pad

Don't land on the pad, let the drone approach you flying backward until it is about 2 feet away. Reach out with your right hand and let the little beast land in your hand. It looks cool and if you keep your hand straight and flat you will keep all your fingers.

IMO, why even put your hand or any body part at risk just for the sake of "looking cool". Or even risk your drone. I saw a video where a guy hand lands his, it powers down, then he drops it on the concrete... Its not that I'm against hand landing, I've done it with all my drones with the exception of my Inspire. There are circumstances that dictate a hand landing is the best option. But just to look cool? Uh no...

Back on topic - I've used this for ages with all my drones. From my Spark all the way up to my Inspire. I've even used it with the 6-motored Yuneec Typhoon H with no issues what-so-ever...

3 Ft Drone Launch Pad for Mavic / Phantom - HDLP3

Yeah it says Mavic and Phantom but the Inspire fits too...

Don't land on the pad, let the drone approach you flying backward until it is about 2 feet away. Reach out with your right hand and let the little beast land in your hand. It looks cool and if you keep your hand straight and flat you will keep all your fingers.

Well you mis-underestand a little and I do agree with you somewhat too. I did not say land it in your hand "in order to look cool" as though that is the purpose. My statement indicates that it happens to look cool in addition to any other benefits. For me, I"m 70 and I don't like to bend down and pick it up, so I mostly land it in my hand whether standing or seated. I have the little landing feet on my drone so it straddles my hand nicely with little risk of falling off. When I whack my finger some day, I'll probably stop the practice. I get my exercise other ways including walking and climbing trees and doing yard work. When I fly my drone, I don't bend down unless I have too.

Glad you are flying at your age. Hoping I still am and can at your age! Now I'm going to respectfully poke some fun at you... Come on, if you are still that active consider bending over to put down your Spark or pick it up part of your exercise! ;)

Well you mis-underestand a little and I do agree with you somewhat too. I did not say land it in your hand "in order to look cool" as though that is the purpose. My statement indicates that it happens to look cool in addition to any other benefits. For me, I"m 70 and I don't like to bend down and pick it up, so I mostly land it in my hand whether standing or seated. I have the little landing feet on my drone so it straddles my hand nicely with little risk of falling off. When I whack my finger some day, I'll probably stop the practice. I get my exercise other ways including walking and climbing trees and doing yard work. When I fly my drone, I don't bend down unless I have too.

Reactions: FZR750
Glad you are flying at your age. Hoping I still am and can at your age! Now I'm going to respectfully poke some fun at you... Come on, if you are still that active consider bending over to put down your Spark or pick it up part of your exercise! ;)

I can take it.
We have poisonous snakes and scorpions so I wear tall leather boots when I fly, but if I bend down to pick up the spark, I might get bitten. Wearing gloves is out of the question because then it would be too clumsy to manipulate the controls. Maybe I'm just lazy since I could don the gloves after the flight. It is just easier to catch the Spark. If you want to read some of my tree climbing adventures go to www.chirpz.com and click on Cat Rescue.

Agree with Tom that the hand landing is simply the most pragmatic way of getting it back. 50% i also reverse it back to me to hand-land, the other 50% it just lands... on grass, tarmac etc. never really felt the need for a "landing pad". For those arguing "gimbal protection" i´d counter with the 2$ sunshade that clips on and also protects the gimbal downwards & a little to the front in case of a crash. Surprisingly that even works if it crashes outside the "landing pad" :)

Hmmm... I have not seen the "sun shade"... interesting. Will look it up. I do have a gimbal protector that completely covers the camera during bag times. I also use the little clip on legs that I like a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregorioDy