Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Light the Spark or extinguish and sell?

After 192 flights, 30 hours 55 minutes, and 441,406 feet of flying the Spark, I have complete and total confidence in it. The only times I've ever had any close calls or issues were when it was totally my fault. It can also take quite a beating, I've crashed it a couple of times flying indoors without the prop guards. I've also flown it over water in winds up to 20 mph, and it hung on.
Just a quick pick up on this-noticed you’re in Ft Myers FL. Should I worry about whether to bring my Spark to Florida in May? I have registered with the FAA and am aware of the airlines’ policies on carrying lithium batteries etc. Anything else to be aware of? I know for instance I can’t fly in State Parks and obviously avoid airports, buildings and people. Any other tips? Would be grateful for your thoughts.

I loved my Spark until I hit a tree branch and she dived into the lake under the tree branch all my fault. I also hav a Mavic Air that I also love to fly, but I have to say that I miss flying my spark. If you decide to sell your spark let me know. Question to the group, Has anyone purchased a DJI reconditioned unit and if so did you have any problems with your reconciliation bird.

Reactions: Prayingdsr
I own both the Mavic Pro and now the spark. I'v had the Pro for well, when it first came out. I picked up the spark, mainly to spark my interest back into drone flying. We do some traveling in the car and I find that a little drone shot makes the videos fun to watch. My last trip, I didn't break out the mavic at all. What I feel, the spark with be small enough that I can pop it up anywhere and get some action video for our travels. I like that it connects to the tablet and is somewhat easy to fly. What am I saying. I believe the spark is just the right platform for those quick shots to make any video worth putting together.

Just a quick pick up on this-noticed you’re in Ft Myers FL. Should I worry about whether to bring my Spark to Florida in May? I have registered with the FAA and am aware of the airlines’ policies on carrying lithium batteries etc. Anything else to be aware of? I know for instance I can’t fly in State Parks and obviously avoid airports, buildings and people. Any other tips? Would be grateful for your thoughts.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever flying in Florida, we're pretty laid back down here! :cool: I usually fly around the Fort Myers Beach, Bonita Springs, and Sanibel/Captiva areas. All of Sanibel is pretty much a restricted no-fly zone when the Vice President vacations here, it won't even allow you to take off! There are two airports around here. Depending on which runway they use, incoming commercial flights fly over the beaches on their way to land so you have to be observant about that. There are also occasional random private aircraft that buzz the beaches. The good thing is that the landscape is flat, so you can see for miles all around. Lots of State parks around here as well. Oh yea, and watch out for birds... pelicans, eagles, hawks, ospreys, egrets, etc. :D I've never really had any issues with them, I use "Sport" mode to get away quickly if it looks risky.

I had the same fear at first. But when I finally got out there I started getting more and more daring. Over the ocean, tracking a train, putting down 300 ft away just off a busy road when battery was gone. Worst thing that happened was I broke a prop. The lesser expensive quads I owned and built had way more collisions and fly always.

Ever feel confused, baffled, frightened or even bewildered by your DJI Spark?
(Or by the company?)

I ask because I am one of those rare owners of a Spark that has yet to fly it. Why?

Although I am a novice drone pilot, I have successfully flown my Yuneec Breeze 4K to its maximum range scores of times without issue. Likewise, my Hubsan H109s and H109a have spotless flight records.

Because my Spark (Fly more combo) cost 4x more than my Breeze and 3x more than any of my Hubsans, I am reluctant to open the box because of the seeming inordinate number of disconnects, flyaways or inexplicable loss of control resulting in collisions or crashes (Some by VERY experienced pilots that are patient, avoid panicking and took precautions to avoid such incidents.) And DJI does not appear very sympathetic, although I realize they are in the business to make a profit, not subsidize owners.

Okay, I'm cognizant of the fact that the Spark is capable of amazing flights and respectable video photography when in the right hands. Moreover, there are thousands of satisfied and enthusiastic owners. That is the reason I purchased it.

But for me it is a luxury item and even with the care refresh program, it is not something I can afford on a whim.

The bottom line is that I am extremely tempted to sell my package without even disturbing the plastic covering the box.

A few people have recommended that I sell it and save up for the Mavic Air, which seems to be considerably more reliable.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
Fly that bad boy. It is great, I can promise a lot of those grips you hear are pilot errors. Follow the manual page by page and you will be fine, and there is a lot of help here at these forums.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever flying in Florida, we're pretty laid back down here! :cool: I usually fly around the Fort Myers Beach, Bonita Springs, and Sanibel/Captiva areas. All of Sanibel is pretty much a restricted no-fly zone when the Vice President vacations here, it won't even allow you to take off! There are two airports around here. Depending on which runway they use, incoming commercial flights fly over the beaches on their way to land so you have to be observant about that. There are also occasional random private aircraft that buzz the beaches. The good thing is that the landscape is flat, so you can see for miles all around. Lots of State parks around here as well. Oh yea, and watch out for birds... pelicans, eagles, hawks, ospreys, egrets, etc. :D I've never really had any issues with them, I use "Sport" mode to get away quickly if it looks risky.
Thanks so much for this. Really helpful. We will be in the Naples area and know the land, birds and other flying things very well having visited for many years. Will have a long think about bringing Spark. I chickened out of taking her when we went to Washington and New York recently as I thought the likelihood of even taking off would be slim. Again thank you.

Run away from the spark. Sudden flyaway with abysmal customer service. Please see my thread

Spark flyaway update, response from DJI - Bad news
See post #4. Just here on this forum there are over 13,000 fans of the Spark, tons of praise and descriptions of lots of fun and great photos and video. I am not discouraged. Mine has been a gem in my "fleet." I also have a Mavic Pro Platinum and a delightful Tello. My Spark, however, I carry the most for its stability and easy of launch at a whim.

Based on all the positive comments, my new Spark is definitely a keeper.

By the way, judging by comments, I'm guesstimating that just over 90% of DJI Spark owners are extremely happy, 5% relatively happy and 3% unhappy.

To put that into perspective, there are VERY few products on planet earth that can claim 90% or better full satisfaction by owners.

Thanks again for all the input.

10 minutes ago my Spark really amazed me.

I had done a fast Litchi waypoint to show an update on some improvements to a property.

I RUSHED

I flew a test in Google earth and all looked good.

When it went up I had misjudged the path from takeoff to first waypoint

4mph and about 60 ft up....

I heard the beeps....and entire scrren nothing but pine needles....niceely green for this time of year I might add :)

It slowly backed and eased around...then backed off second tree nent on to have flawless mission.

OBSTICle AVOIDANCE....can ya hear me ? :)

No Im not proud of rushing the flight planning....I hope yall get the point...

Some are having awfull problems here....hopefully help can be found.

My first time seeing the avoidance in real life....kinda different when its you and your wallet veiwing it instead of a DJI promo !

Ill post a youtube link this evening if anyone has interest

Just the avoidance

7 minutes Launch to Land

An old farm implement junkyard ...10 acres overgrown..roots...briars brush , trees ...through over under and into a lot of metal.

My old tractor was tired in the picture of our first day...I let her retire last year with her own covered garage.
imag1021_15143429522_o.jpg

imag1021_15143429522_o.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme