Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark flyaway update, response from DJI - Bad news

Punkinv

Join
Dec 28, 2018
My Spark flew away out of control just after getting an update, and, luckily struck a tree instead of continuing its path toward more populated areas. I complained to DJI and sent the drone to them for evaluation. Here is there reply:

Thank you for your patience.

This is Ken from Technical Support team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

Here's the result of the data analysis on your case number: CAS-2657751-T9L9F7.

1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input.
2. Unit recorded external impact, at relative height(m) and flight time: 99 secs 32 meters
3. User commanded throttle down and crashed
4. Unit obstacle avoidance cannot tree branches
Incident date: 2019 01 05
Incident GPS location: REDACTED

According to the analysis, the the incident was not caused by any product malfunction.

We can still proceed with the repair, however, you will cover the repair charges.

Your understanding and and cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ken
DJI Technical Support

So, they are holding me responsible, saying it was a user stick error, because I throttled down, AFTER the Spark flew out of control and struck a tree! They want to charge me $109.00 for the repair, which I refuse to pay, since it was not my fault. "External Impact" is not a crash, apparently. The crash happens after the Spark drops like a sack of potatoes AFTER the "External Impact." I have hours of flying experience on a Mavic Pro, and thought a Spark might be a fun supplement. Well, I would never trust a Spark again, because "ready to fly" may actually mean, "ready to fly away." I would discourage anyone from purchasing a Spark and am evaluating my choice of the Mavic Pro, which could cause even more mayhem if it flew out of control as the Spark did. This consumer's confidence in DJI products is very low. Look for my Spark on eBay for sale for parts in the near future.

Want us to review and comment on your flight log? Upload it here and post the link back here.

Where did you take off from? Was there any type of magnetic metal objects near the Spark?

I launched from my back yard, as I have dozens of times with my MP. No magnetic/metal objects nearby. I've never had any magnetic interference with the MP, or any of the 5 or 6 previous drones I've owned - Tarot, DJI, 3DR, etc.

For some reason DJI is ignoring the flyaway problem that so many spark owners are experiencing ! The last time that this was brought up the post disappeared. Why can't they update the software or something to help solve all of these flyaways?

Reactions: graywoulf
@Punkinv, please attach the DAT flight log here.

See these instructions if you need help retrieving the DAT file. You can upload the DAT file to a file sharing site (like Dropbox) and post the download link here.

My Spark flew away out of control just after getting an update, and, luckily struck a tree instead of continuing its path toward more populated areas. I complained to DJI and sent the drone to them for evaluation. Here is there reply:

This is Ken from Technical Support team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

2. Unit recorded external impact, at relative height(m) and flight time: 99 secs 32 meters

According to the analysis, the the incident was not caused by any product malfunction.

We can still proceed with the repair, however, you will cover the repair charges.

Best regards,
Ken
DJI Technical Support

So, they are holding me responsible, saying it was a user stick error, because I throttled down, AFTER the Spark flew out of control and struck a tree! They want to charge me $109.00 for the repair, which I refuse to pay, since it was not my fault. "External Impact" is not a crash, apparently. The crash happens after the Spark drops like a sack of potatoes AFTER the "External Impact." I have hours of flying experience on a Mavic Pro, and thought a Spark might be a fun supplement. Well, I would never trust a Spark again, because "ready to fly" may actually mean, "ready to fly away." I would discourage anyone from purchasing a Spark and am evaluating my choice of the Mavic Pro, which could cause even more mayhem if it flew out of control as the Spark did. This consumer's confidence in DJI products is very low. Look for my Spark on eBay for sale for parts in the near future.

Mine disconnected as well, it was right in front of me, 5ft from the shore, would not reconnect, unfortunately it updated the home point to that location earlier, no connection, watching it descend into the ocean, I tried to grab it, no nick, lost controller and spark, luckily my new iPhone was water proof.
I still like the spark, bought a new one but don’t trust it, . I did read about Bluetooth interference, I turn that off before each flight now.
I bought a new one because it’s cheap and I got the care refresh, and I use it often,

I had two alarming instances over the weekend where the AC disconnected from the RC (red light). Thankfully both times the bird defaulted to RTH.

First time it was only 600ft away. Second time it was 1500ft away. Two different flight locations.

I reviewed the flight logs with airdata and saw minor signal errors present. Also naturally the flight logs ceased where the disconnect occurred. Oddly they showed no RC disconnect error at that point. Just a sudden stop in events logged.

Agree with others, there is something amiss in the programming for the Spark. Mine had been stable and solid for the last 8 months. Until this past weekend. Definitely erodes confidence in the product.

MSinger,
The above link did not work? The actual drone is at DJI in Texas (with my controller), waiting to be shipped back to me without being repaired, per my request. The log was pulled from my DJI app. Does this attachment help?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-01-05_[15-51-34][1].txt
    89.4 KB · Views: 37
Not to keep ranting, but what really burns me is DJI's contention that the crash was caused by "stick error" on my part, because, you know, I throttled down AFTER the Spark flew out of control and struck a tree. Had this caused injury or property damage (other than to the Spark), this would be a much different narrative, all around. I've let the Twittersphere know of my displeasure, and if I can help others with my misfortune, then maybe something good can come of this.

Your flight log shows multiple compass/ESC errors. Just me, but I would've brought the bird home after the first couple compass errors.

Yes, I have found this is usually the case, the pilot does not always heed the warnings early enough ?

Also just a little advise when dealing with DJI CS, be reserved, polite & don't get overly upset ?
Explain again the steps of the the scenario, like when you actually made the downward action on the stick, before or after the crash, sometimes they have small problems with english translation & your word in english meanings.
If you ask them to revalidate the checking of the AC they will, but have patience in explaining exactly how you feel it happened, to get up them is not the way to succeed in Chinese business !

I had two alarming instances over the weekend where the AC disconnected from the RC (red light). Thankfully both times the bird defaulted to RTH.

First time it was only 600ft away. Second time it was 1500ft away. Two different flight locations.

I reviewed the flight logs with airdata and saw minor signal errors present. Also naturally the flight logs ceased where the disconnect occurred. Oddly they showed no RC disconnect error at that point. Just a sudden stop in events logged.

Agree with others, there is something amiss in the programming for the Spark. Mine had been stable and solid for the last 8 months. Until this past weekend. Definitely erodes confidence in the product.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me... Fortunately only once, but I must say, reading about all these fly-aways have me worried every time I take off. Spoils the fun-factor!

The log above shows it responding to stick input and then crashing after multiple errors. It doesn't appear to have 'flown away' at any point?

I would have brought the spark back, if I had control. The problem is that I did not have control of it at that point. The spark was unresponsive to any input, and all I could do was helplessly watch it fly into the tree. Also, regarding DJI, if they sell so many products in English speaking countries....

Best regards,
Ken
DJI Technical Support

Unfortunately DJI doesn't want to admit that it's selling a product that has a faulty GPS unit. There's no problem finding articles that discuss the Spark fly aways .

Unfortunately DJI doesn't want to admit that it's selling a product that has a faulty GPS unit. There's no problem finding articles that discuss the Spark fly aways .
I just bought my DJI Spark a couple of weeks ago . The first problem I had was that the SD card won't format. It still records video though. The second problem was that the remote controller bricked after it was updated. I don't trust the GPS unit so I've decided to use my DJI 550 Flamewheel to do the flying.

Attachments

• DJI Spark Carrier cropped.jpg
    DJI Spark Carrier cropped.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 106

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast