Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Limited Range on the Spark

alfredsaonoy

Join
Jul 15, 2019
The weather cleared this morning so I decided to take my spark out.
Currently using the GO4 app + android phone + RC without the OTG Cable. (already have one being shipped)
Using the 2.4 GHZ and was showing less interference on that location.

Tried to get maximum altitude and I was only able to get 139m when I started getting only a bar of signal for wifi on the app.

I'm not sure whether this might be due to the location but it's somehow weird that I am only getting up to that altitude.

Should I be able to get a much higher altitude aside from this? Will getting an OTG cable help?

Would really appreciate some insight on this.

Hej. z mojego doświadczenia, musiałem zmienić maksymalne ustawienia sufitu w samej aplikacji, ponieważ normalnie miałem ustawienia do 120 m max. po sparowaniu telefonu z kontrolerem i wyłączeniu trybu początkującego mogłem ręcznie zmienić wysokość na maksymalny poziom. Najważniejszą rzeczą jest to, że telefon należy sparować bezpośrednio ze sterownikiem. Właściwie dobrze jest mieć kabel otg. Pamiętaj, że zmiana sufitu jest możliwa tylko dzięki podłączonemu kontrolerowi z telefonem. trzymaj się i bezpieczne loty.

You did have the antennas on the RC perpendicular to the aircraft, correct? Not aimed at the aircraft. The main lobe of the signal travels out the sides of the antenna, not the ends.

Reactions: JSM
To jimlips point, was the Spark pretty much directly over head? Vertical antennas don't radiate out the tops of the antenna so you always need to have them perpendicular to the craft. On many occasions when the Spark has returned to land I've forgotten to tilt the antennas and I've had "disconnected" warnings with the drone directly over head. There's nothing much that comes out of the tops of vertical antennas.

Reactions: dat1 and jimlips
What country are you flying in? The US has a max alt. of 400ft. and my Spark announces it.

Have been flying my Spark for approx 3 months (and have just purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum) in Melbourne ; tried a few options but the best outcome so far is : I Pad Mini, OTG Cable and Parabolic Extenders; So far, max range (out) has been 3.56 Klms (Just over 7ks round trip) average however of approx 3.2klms out, 6.4 total (5 flights same location) battery at the end is around 15%.; Mavic Pro, same location, Max out: just over 5klms, safe distance, re battery, 4.5!

The drone and transmitter are built more for going OUT, not so much UP. Straight above you is the worst direction for the spark's antenna. Helps a bit to hold the remote vertically when you're doing this so you at least don't have the transmitter's antennae in their worst direction.

The drone and transmitter are built more for going OUT, not so much UP. Straight above you is the worst direction for the spark's antenna. Helps a bit to hold the remote vertically when you're doing this so you at least don't have the transmitter's antennae in their worst direction.
T, Agree totally, it might sound ridiculous however, how you point / height of the controller towards the Craft can make a difference to your range and safe RTH (Oh and dare I say it, power lines , communication antennas.........the list goes on....!!!)

I will tell you that after buying a signal amplifier and its correct installation on the antennas (depends on whether I fly only on altitude, or distance from myself) I am very pleased. the signal is really strong. Get 500m to the top, and have a smooth connection and a great picture, no problem. same forwards. 1200 m from each other, and 100 m in the top, for nice shots, the amplifier also works. After mastering Spark, and buying such additions flights. movies and photos, you can do much more accurately

Reactions: JSM
I had/have a similar issue.. My signal seems to show 1 bar as soon as it gets 40-50m away then goes red at about 60-70m but I have tested it and it seems to go on in that visual state until 200m before it loses connection.. I can only conclude that the signal readout is not reflective of actual signal.

Hello. I discover the properties of my Spark every day. I can say with a clear conscience that flying Spark makes more and more joy. still learn to use the camera. but also the time of perfection will come. the important thing is that overcoming altitude and distance does not arouse fear in me, as it was at the beginning. all the additions to the sparek, work with me fantastically. if my ever-building knowledge helps someone, I will be happy.

I had/have a similar issue.. My signal seems to show 1 bar as soon as it gets 40-50m away then goes red at about 60-70m but I have tested it and it seems to go on in that visual state until 200m before it loses connection.. I can only conclude that the signal readout is not reflective of actual signal.
Are you flying with a controller or just your phone?

I use the controller..
For what its worth, I use the following set up: (and sequence turning on!) Remote, Spark, IPad Mini , DJI App and last, connect OTG cable to Ipad ; this set up achieves consistent 3 klm range (out) with approx 10 /15% battery at the end; this is also over the Suburbs so plenty of Wi Fi bubbles to try and interfere / get through !! !! Max distance (record) is 3.54 klms out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers