Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Litchi flight over colorado ghost town - very close call !

I'm impressed on the close call and more that your signal was strong enough to fly that far and behind the buildings! Wow!

Great flying there. Gorgeous landscape and interesting ghost town. Any idea what caused the town to die?
Here's a brief read on the subject: Gilman Colorado toxic ghost town
Like many towns that sprung up around mining, when the ore played out or market pressures made it unprofitable, the mine closed and the only reason for the town's existence went away. It's a shame such a beautiful place is now unfit for habitation.

I'm impressed on the close call and more that your signal was strong enough to fly that far and behind the buildings! Wow!
He was using Litchi to fly an autonomous, pre-programmed route. The flight wasn't dependent on a control signal from the operator. Loss of signal would have meant no video for the operator, but the drone would continue to fly the route to the end and return to the recovery point, provided there was enough battery left.

Great flying there. Gorgeous landscape and interesting ghost town. Any idea what caused the town to die?
Mining turned the area toxic. It's a superfund site. Even turned large stretches of the eagle River (a tributary of the Colorado) orange ! It was evacuated in the mid 60's if I remember correctly. However I believe some scientists lived there til the late 70's. It's about 20 minutes from my house

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
He was using Litchi to fly an autonomous, pre-programmed route. The flight wasn't dependent on a control signal from the operator. Loss of signal would have meant no video for the operator, but the drone would continue to fly the route to the end and return to the recovery point, provided there was enough battery left.
Precisely what happened. To be honest, after I launched and set the mission to go in Litchi I actually got in my truck and drove 3/4 of a mile up the road to a different pull off ! I moved for a better view of the final stretch of the flight which I never actually got. I could hear it but not see it til it completed the mission. I had set the final waypoint pretty high up, around 300 ft. It took me a bit to realize that the video feed had come back. For a while I was wondering where the heck it was that I could hear it but not see it ! I hit the stick left/right and noticed the video respond, and flew the spark home

Reactions: Spark 317
I'll say it again, that was definitely a butt pucker moment flying between the wires. :oops:

Reactions: Brian Snyder
I’ll take a guess: ran out of mineral or the price dropped, and the company pulled up stakes and left with no cleanup money. Of course I’m just guessing, but mining companies have a long history of screwing things up except for their bank accounts.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Got very lucky ! At around 2:30 the bird narrowly misses an aspen tree just before flying between 2 power lines
Fantastic footage! I too have risky close calls. Most of the time Spark is fairly far from an encounter but the camera shots look real close.

Reactions: Mtntrogger
WOW! A couple close calls there. Glad the Spark made it back OK. Good video of a beautiful scenery. Too bad for the town.

Wow, what a ride. Great footage, as well for the
scenic as the couple of close calls.
The bird must have nine lives...

• Haha
What a fun place to fly. I use litchi a lot, but I've never been brave enough to program a flight to go between two wires. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast