Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

live Video lag on my Spark

As mentioned, i run both my phones also on my Mavic 2, there is no lag there. The S9+ has Exynos 9810 (SD 845) and 6GB ram, and my LG G7 also have the Snapdragon 845 but 4GB ram. i also shut down all my apps before running GO4. I dont think this is a phone issue. This is 2018 flagship models.

USB debugging in set to ON, on both phones

Yes, i have checked that i actually are running OTG cable and either disable WiFI or put it to airplane mode.

Again, i have only tried my Spark at home where there is alot of WiFi going on (alot of apartments) and in an industrial area (no wifi, but metal structures nearby) so im just gonna try out the Spark some more, but its winter now, cold and very windy, its dark before 4pm and i have the flu, so its not been much flying yet :rolleyes:

OK, I had some free time this afternoon and did a little very unscientific and crude experiment just in my backyard (a few wifi signals were active there including my own from the house) using my Note 8 with a WIFI connection to the remote (no OTG using that phone) and a Huwai Elate in Airplane Mode with OTG. Switching the filming between the phones to capture the one connected to the RC.. I discovered major lag at first with the Note 8 and discovered that it was automatically connected by Bluetooth to the Osmo Gimbal that was holding the phones while filming! I tried again with Bluetooth off and it was smooth. The Elate was in Airplane Mode with an OTG.
Please excuse the focusing because I was trying to include the actual control stick, the drone, and the screen at once so you can see the actual reaction between the stick and the drone! And the Samsung was set on a different resolution apparently!

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul215
OK, I had some free time this afternoon and did a little very unscientific and crude experiment just in my backyard (a few wifi signals were active there including my own from the house) using my Note 8 with a WIFI connection to the remote (no OTG using that phone) and a Huwai Elate in Airplane Mode with OTG. Switching the filming between the phones to capture the one connected to the RC.. I discovered major lag at first with the Note 8 and discovered that it was automatically connected by Bluetooth to the Osmo Gimbal that was holding the phones while filming! I tried again with Bluetooth off and it was smooth. The Elate was in Airplane Mode with an OTG.
Please excuse the focusing because I was trying to include the actual control stick, the drone, and the screen at once so you can see the actual reaction between the stick and the drone! And the Samsung was set on a different resolution apparently!

I don't have as much lag as your note8 with bluetooth turned on, and I don't have any bluetooth turned on either.

Have not tried my spark anymore due to weather conditions and having the flu. Maybe tomorrow. But thanks for the video :)

I don't have as much lag as your note8 with bluetooth turned on, and I don't have any bluetooth turned on either.

Have not tried my spark anymore due to weather conditions and having the flu. Maybe tomorrow. But thanks for the video :)

I only had lag like that when the Bluetooth was actually connected to the gimbal! And the app for the Gimbal wasn't even running!
I usually fly the Spark if using the Note8 with Bluetooth ON and not even in airplane mode but not actually connected to anything Bluetooth ( I am usually very attentive to that but the gimbal "just being on" surprised me). Otherwise, it is smooth and, compared to those two other videos you posted, **** near lag free.
I just thought it was amazing how much having just a Bluetooth connection induced that kind of lag and thought I would share that observation.
I do think that the Spark's video feed is very weak and easily disrupted, just as you are concluding. Since you have "better" Dji products to compare it to you will have a better comparison than I do.

Yes, I hope the weather, as well as your health, improves for you because I will be curious to see what else you find?

for me the video lag was caused by SD card format issue sometimes. tried to remove it and delay was gone instantly. reformatted it when I got home and again in the GO4 app and there was a significant improvement.

Reactions: Paul215
If it's normal then Mavic 2 is miles ahead in terms of smoothness.

Is this also normal on the Mavic Air?
It will be normal on any drone with a wifi system. They absolutely suck and I hate DJI for putting these garbage systems in their drones then charging an insanely high price for them. It's not ok.

A little update. I tried my Mavic Air for the first time today, it also have WiFi (Enhanced) and it is so much smoother than my Spark. Not as smooth as my Mavic 2, but its closer to the Mavic than the Spark.

So the choppyness is a "Spark thing", and in this review they mention the video delay on the Air vs Mavic 2 and its 130ms vs 170ms, while they also say

We also tested the video latency on the DJI Spark and the results were much worse.

I had the same problem with the video lag, the solution was quite simple, just turn off the bluetooth in your phone and put away any other bluetooth device such as smart watches or fit bands

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav