Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looking at Spark or Mavic, seeking opinions....

Dogwalker

Join
Dec 18, 2017
Hey everyone,

Been considering the Spark or Mavic as my first drone and have come across the flyway incidents on both platforms.

I am really attracted to the Spark's small footprint and ease of use but am very concerned on the flyaway issue. It seems like the incidents occur more on the Spark than the Mavic.

I am aware that DJI has been issuing lots of updates to firmware. Have these patches improved the stability of the Spark?

Welcome any other comparison insights between the two drones :)

Take a closer look at those flyaway incidents. Most of them are caused by some type of pilot error. Unfortunately, no amount of updates on DJI's part is going to prevent pilot error. Take the time to educate yourself before flying and you'll greatly reduce the chance of such incidents.

Been considering the Spark or Mavic as my first drone and have come across the flyway incidents on both platforms.

When the Mavic came out, the Spark didn't exist, and my Co Pilot and I thought about it, but a little pricey in our budget at the time.

Then the Spark came around.
We researched what we could lose and replace and the Spark was the choice for our budget.

Rest assured, as @msinger has posted, the only fly away issue I've had was due to Pilot Error.

Fly Safe :).

Reactions: shawnski451
^^

What Msinger said. Most losses are people that can’t be bothered to read a manual, or follow procedure.
There’s lots of people on here that have had Sparks for months and not had any issues.
You tend to only hear the complaints.

Reactions: DJ_EYE
Msinger is right, I myself, had mistakes while flying that I thought were internal problems. As I got more proficient at flying, and went back to re-read the manual, it was apparent my problems were self inflicted. I have flown many times now with 0 problems.You just need to read the manual, be methodical, and fly carefully. This is a very very easy to fly drone.

both mavic and spark really stabil,
its up to you want better camera and 3 axis gimbal is mavic or just a simple mini spark

I picked up my Spark in August. I went with the Spark as 12MP/1080p meets my needs. I have flown on both Android and IOS, and always with the controller. Was having app crash issues with the Nexus 6P on manual returning consistently and occasional mid flight app crashes. After troubleshooting the issue I decided to just use an iPad. As far as the stability of the Spark (and DJI), I'm actually amazed by the overall stability of both hardware and software. I suggest to new pilots like myself to read, watch youtube vids and learn the limitations and by the unfortunate incidents others have had. I would get the Spark all over again. If I was after 4k or longer flight times I would recommend the Mavic.

If it’s mainly caused by pilot error, that’s something I have control over. I remember seeing vids on YouTube with flyways and reading about them back in July? One big reason I’m considering he Mavic is the Occulus system which appears to provide better in flight control.

For those of you who have both Mavic and Spark, what is your preferred drone after months of use? If you only have one drone, which one would you lean to?

Thanks again for all the responses to my post!

I do a reasonable amount of photography i.e. DSLR. So the drone must be able to do this and do it in high quality. I sometimes do commercial shoots though not on a regular basis.

I’m just getting into filming videos. Initially, I would like the drone to be simple and quick to operate for the times when you just need a quick shot and video on vacations etc. But I can see myself getting into it and taking the drone up to take videos or pictures of surroundings.

If quality is very important, then you should consider the Phantom 4 Pro (or Phantom 4 Advanced) instead. Both of those drones have the best available camera out of all of DJI's consumer drones.

I do a reasonable amount of photography i.e. DSLR. So the drone must be able to do this and do it in high quality. I sometimes do commercial shoots though not on a regular basis.

I’m just getting into filming videos. Initially, I would like the drone to be simple and quick to operate for the times when you just need a quick shot and video on vacations etc. But I can see myself getting into it and taking the drone up to take videos or pictures of surroundings.

Neither Mavic nor Spark can deliver that. I think their cameras (actually they have the same sensor) compare to a mid-class smartphone or a maybe a Galaxy S5-ish camera.

Check out the DJI Spark Flickr group. That’s a good way to get a view of the quality of stills.

So, I got my spark for video and it's doing OK with both video and photo.
Comparing it to a dslr, both spark and Mavic have a much smaller sensor. (1/2.3") which is comparable to better smartphone sensors. If you fly during the day (which is a legal requirement in many countries) you are mostly fine with this sensors, if you fly at low light situations you might need a phantom 4 pro (1", comparison: Sony rx100) or better.

Now that said, consider one thing: do you need raw pictures or dlog-video? If so, the spark is out, as it only allows for jpeg and has a fixed color profile - a nice one, but it won't be as nice for post as dlog is.

Sent from my K10000 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: Sparky92
I've been flying drones for along time. All drones can "fly away". There are so many variables that can affect a drone. Being aware of your surroundings, having a checklist, knowing your drone can help minimize these chances.

IMO, why you "may" see more flyaways posted on the Spark forums is because the Spark can be a person's first drone and are just learning to fly/operate a drone. My Spark has been rock-solid and dependable.

When it comes to selecting between the Spark and the Mavic as your only drone, it depends on your needs/wants. IMO, the Spark is a good choice if you are looking for a very portable drone that you want to capture basic pics/videos. I say basic, but its more than good enough for just about anything the average person wants to do.

IMO, if I were to buy/own only 1 drone, it'd be a Mavic. It does just about everything better than the Spark except being smaller. The Mavic has longer flight times, better range, better camera, works seamlessly with the goggles, handles winds better, just to name a few things...

Hey everyone,

I am really attracted to the Spark's small footprint and ease of use but am very concerned on the flyaway issue. It seems like the incidents occur more on the Spark than the Mavic.

I am aware that DJI has been issuing lots of updates to firmware. Have these patches improved the stability of the Spark?

Welcome any other comparison insights between the two drones :)

I'm also in the same predicament with the spark v Mavic. Just when I think I've made my mind up I read something else that changes it again.

Interested to see which one you decide in the end.

I've been flying drones for along time. All drones can "fly away". There are so many variables that can affect a drone. Being aware of your surroundings, having a checklist, knowing your drone can help minimize these chances.

IMO, why you "may" see more flyaways posted on the Spark forums is because the Spark can be a person's first drone and are just learning to fly/operate a drone. My Spark has been rock-solid and dependable.

When it comes to selecting between the Spark and the Mavic as your only drone, it depends on your needs/wants. IMO, the Spark is a good choice if you are looking for a very portable drone that you want to capture basic pics/videos. I say basic, but its more than good enough for just about anything the average person wants to do.

IMO, if I were to buy/own only 1 drone, it'd be a Mavic. It does just about everything better than the Spark except being smaller. The Mavic has longer flight times, better range, better camera, works seamlessly with the goggles, handles winds better, just to name a few things...

Great thread - been seriously considering selling my Spark when it comes back from the shop with a clean bill of health (out at DJI getting diagnosed/repaired now), and upgrading to the MP or MPP. I don't have any real issues with the Spark, but am very disappointed DJI refuses to enable RAW format on it - really the only thing I want that it doesn't have. Beyond that, I'd like to fly beyond LOS for some shots, but just can't bring myself to risk it with the Spark due to the lack of redundant sensors (only one compass against the Mavic's two, etc). As far as I've read, the vast majority of fly aways are caused by compass errors/interference which causes Spark to drop its GPS lock (done automatically when compass/GPS send it different data), which obviously means if you're out of LOS when that happens, you're eff'ed if you lose video/controller connection too - no GPS for last known location, no RTH, and drone drifting on the wind until the battery dies - at which point it lands wherever it happens to be at the time. This, as compared to the Mavic with several redundant sensors (including dual compasses) - specifically designed to fly beyond LOS and with OcuSync tech (MUCH stronger controller/video transmission signal).

So, while I agree with the fact that most fly aways of Spark are due to user error/inexperience (flying out of LOS/not being adept enough yet with flying it to get it home in manual/ATTI mode when necessary), I still feel like the Mavic is a much more stable/trustworthy at distance aircraft.

If any of the above is inaccurate - someone please let me know. That's the math I'm working with now, and about to spend a bunch more loot if not corrected, lol.

If I had the option to choose Spark v Mavic, I would have chosen the Mavic, longer flight time and much better camera... regarding Spark flyaways, not an issue if you take a bit of care before you fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena