Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looking at Spark or Mavic, seeking opinions....

Are you saying the Mavic is a much better and stable drone given it's got better technology in it?
My biggest problem with the Spark is that it only shoots 1080p @30fps the Mavic Can do 1080p @60fps and has 3 axis gimbal stabilisation, where the Spark only has 2 axis gimbal stabilisation

Mavic is by far the better drone. Far greater range, stability, reliable, etc. The spark is fun but not in the same league in capabilities. I do like my sparks though. They are different enough that you can get both.

I had the Spark and it is brilliant except the battery life began to disappoint me. Then one day the GPS packed it in and I had a flyaway moment. In the weeks it was away I got a Mavic. I really don't believe the optics are that much better and neither are Pro. The Mavic simply wins on battery and extra power. Btw, I use the same box to carry the Mavic as I did the Spark so size is very similar. Not surprisingly, when the new replacement Spark came back I sold it.
But maybe the search for better optics will lead me the something else later.

Mavic is by far the better drone. Far greater range, stability, reliable, etc. The spark is fun but not in the same league in capabilities. I do like my sparks though. They are different enough that you can get both.

I don't have the budget for both at the minute. So I'm guessing your saying the Mavic would be the better option?

IMO, yes... UNLESS portability is your #1 criteria by a wide margin above all else....

I don't have the budget for both at the minute. So I'm guessing your saying the Mavic would be the better option?

Reactions: Dale Lissett
Do a checklist of needs and wants. Sounds stupid but you will make a better choice. I just came over to dji because I switch phones. Went from Samsung to Apple. As long as I had android, dji was a no go for me. Due to all the issues with android. It’s not dji fault it’s android and all the different firmware out there. So an updated app will have issues operating on 3 different android firmwares. I use to develop app for android and that was a hard task. Keeping your apps compatible with all android. So for me the checklist worked. Now I want a inspire. All the updates are making me nervous though.

It certainly is interesting reading all the varied replies on this topic. I recently got a Spark and did so for traveling purposes. I have had a Phantom 3 Pro for two years and have really enjoyed sending it out on long video runs using Litchi waypoint missions. Since it flies using the pre-planned route loaded in the AC you don't really need a continuous controller link to fly these. On most of my 3 mile plus missions I would lose contact but she would always come back to me after completing the mission. Fast forward to the Spark. I had hoped to be able to fly pre-planned routes on the Spark (albeit shorter) but was disappointed to find that was not possible. OK, so now what what do I do with the Spark? It's cute and fun for close in casual shooting but in my opinion does not compare to the Phantom or Mavic although I have never owned one of those. I think the use of WiFi for all component links is problematic and IMHO the Achilles heel of the Spark. I also don't understand all the issue s with the OTG cable as that should be the desirable method of connecting the controller to the display device and it's the only way that I can connect my Phantom to my iPad. The big advantage of tethering via cable is that it allows the display device to continue to be connected to the cell network for access to the maps used in the app. Overall, I find the Spark to be a clever piece of technology but limited for my needs. I think the real advantage of the Spark is that it would be viewed differently when flown in a public setting meaning it might be given a pass since it appears to be a toy.

Just an update. Since I wasn't sure, I bought both for Christmas (Initially got the Spark, but that tempting warehouse called Costco had Mavics for sale). I'll be testing the Mavic first and if I find it to be too much 'drone' for me, I'll test the Mavic.

Reactions: Dale Lissett
Just an update. Since I wasn't sure, I bought both for Christmas (Initially got the Spark, but that tempting warehouse called Costco had Mavics for sale). I'll be testing the Mavic first and if I find it to be too much 'drone' for me, I'll test the Mavic.

Costco have them both for sale hear in the UK but at more than a high street retailer current price in UK spark £599 mavic £1099.

Hey everyone,

Been considering the Spark or Mavic as my first drone and have come across the flyway incidents on both platforms.

I am really attracted to the Spark's small footprint and ease of use but am very concerned on the flyaway issue. It seems like the incidents occur more on the Spark than the Mavic.

I am aware that DJI has been issuing lots of updates to firmware. Have these patches improved the stability of the Spark?

Welcome any other comparison insights between the two drones :)

I agree with msinger, first comment right after your post. Also check and make sure if your phone is supported by their app, that was my problem (i am using Samsung Note 5) and with app update 4.1.18 all hell broke lose for me and i did end up crashing my spark. But as was mentioned that was on me, kind of, I didnt know the phone is not supported. I mean how the F.ck am I supposed to check that, in my opinion if it is on the play store and available for my phone than it should work, right? I guess these Chinese companies are of different opinion.

Now I went back to a previous version of the app that was stable for all phones, thanks to this awesome community.

I like spark because it is very good, very stable and a little easier to fly because of its size. Camera is good might not have all the log files and frame rates but its essentially the same sensor as on Mavic. Get the ND filters and the footage is awesome. Another thing I like is a lot of times you can launch it in the city and majority of people just think you're an over-grown man child playing with a toy, so no one gives you sh.t about it being a drone. And it is fairly quite. I am thinking of getting a Mavic in addition but not getting rid of spark, I think it is a solid drone.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah I did think about that. Lucky for me I've always had an iOS device. I was reading about Spark owners complaining about the sudden drop of support for the OTG cable after an update. I think the best of both worlds is actually owning both, but since I'm just starting, that's one drone too many for me lol.

I have both. If I had to choose just one it would be the Mavic hands down, though I love them both dearly. The Spark camera will end up shocking you with its consistent quality. It's the perfect point and shoot aerial camera. The Mavic will test your patience. It's camera can be infuriating. If you really want high quality photos grab a P4P and don't look back.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah I did think about that. Lucky for me I've always had an iOS device. I was reading about Spark owners complaining about the sudden drop of support for the OTG cable after an update. I think the best of both worlds is actually owning both, but since I'm just starting, that's one drone too many for me lol.

I would get the spark, unless you dont have concerns over people gawking and /or complaining about you and drones. If you decide to go for Mavic spend a little more and get Platinum. Regular with Platinum blades is still loud, it not just the blades its the motors and controllers that make it so much quieter.

Good luck man

My Spark is actually a good-bit louder than my Mavic Pro Platinum. It has a high-pitched tone that travels a pretty good distance as compared to my MPP, which has a low-frequency hum.

If I had the option to choose Spark v Mavic, I would have chosen the Mavic, longer flight time and much better camera... regarding Spark flyaways, not an issue if you take a bit of care before you fly.

Oh yeah - I've read just about every Spark fly away thread, and am fully aware how to prevent them. I also don't believe that fly aways are a real issue with Spark as long as - to your point - proper precautions are taken, AND it's always within LOS - perfectly serviceable machine in every way within those parameters. I'm leaning towards the Mavic specifically because it has the redundant sensors that make it much more trustworthy than the Spark when you wanna fly just beyond/over that tree line, or up 1500 ft where legal (the Caribbean for example), or anywhere else beyond LOS.

Besides the LOS issue, the sensor redundancy would also give me more confidence in Mavic vs Spark using Active Track. For instance, if I wanna make a video of myself riding a dirtbike around an outdoor motocross track (not a "professional"/off-limits venue), I'm currently not comfortable putting the Spark up on it's own for a 5-10 minute Active Track video when I can't keep eyes on it/hands on the controller 100% of the time (would have controller in backpack/could stop and get to it in about 15 seconds if I noticed the problem immediately, but if there's a 15 mph wind and that thing switches to ATTI mode while I'm riding, it could very easily get blown out of range or into an obstacle before I could get back on the sticks). Same goes for street drag racing (...which I'd neeevvveerr do...;)), but that would be closer to a minute before I could get eyes back on the Spark/hands back on the sticks. I also believe the Mavic has a much stronger Active Track mode that tracks the position of the device/controller itself as opposed to just the visual object lock the Spark offers, and is thus significantly more reliable staying on target (someone told me that - could be wrong).

So, the basic concept I've come to understand after much reading is that more sensor redundancy = drastic reduction in the number of, and the frequency of automatic mode switches to ATTI. Is this the broader community's take on it as well, or am I off in left field/about to spend more money for not much gain?

I had the same debate. Decided that because I can’t use the footage commercially and I want to just chuck it in my bag with max portability - spark was the way to go.

If I use it enough I may upgrade to a Mavic Pro 2 when they get released.

Most fly aways i have seen came from the guys only using the phone for the controller and they are at least 100 feet away. The phone only method has a high fly away risk. Its due to the phones easy interference, and we all know that the interference on the ground is muddy to say the least. Thats why more satellites pick up the higher you get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar