Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lost my Spark (update)

sirkkelley

Join
Sep 24, 2018
I’ve been flying for a few weeks. I’ve logged 8 hours of air time and have had a great time flying my Spark. I’ve actually talked 3 of my friends into buying one also. Today I was on the way home from work and decided to stop and fly at sunset by a nearby college and get some good footage. On the second battery I was making a pass by a building 800 feet away and lost connection. My drone went into RTH mode. So I waited and looked to the sky, but no Spark. When I looked at my flight log it showed that it got up to 22.6 MPH as soon as it started its RTH. This isn’t something that it has ever done. I searched for an hour and a half and couldn’t find it. Please guys any help would be greatly appreciated! This was a very expensive long awaited purchase for me and I don’t want to be without it (especially since 3 of my friends have now purchased one)!

Thanks

Reactions: alex_hidrobo
I have. That is how I found out how it had reacted after the connection was lost. I searched all around the last position and couldn’t find it. I will search again in the morning, hopefully with some luck I will find it.

Last edited:
My guess is that it must be on that roof as well. I’m going to see if they will let me up there today. My frustration is that my RTH altitude was set at 300’ and it was at 103’ going 22.6 MPH during assumed impact in RTH mode.FB299E4F-C4C8-4B9E-89B4-44B9FF6D9242.png

Last edited:
TimmyG is there anyway to get my flight log without connecting to iTunes? I haven’t had our PC hooked up in about a year. We just use iPads/ mobile devices. I know I do have iTunes on my computer it would just be easier if there is another route.

Update: found my Spark. It was on top of the building. All 4 propellers are broke one completely missing. And worst of all a broken arm. Doesn’t have any other blemish on it. The battery must have popped out on collision hence not being able to reconnect video when I was searching for it.

I have read many treads about different fixes.

1. Ordering a new lower shell. I’ve found them for $20-$30 and watched a video. Not going to attempt this!

2. Sending in for repair from DJI. My concern with this is that I have seen prices range from $100-$300 for this repair. If it is going to cost $200-$300 I will go with option #3. Problem is that the only way I can find out is if I mail it to them.

3. Fix it myself. Glue, epoxy, JB Weld something like this.

Wires are still intact and turns on just fine. 17FB8466-8B10-41FA-893B-FFA46A7A6BC4.jpegF186E5D0-B498-45AB-B675-ACB7F98EEB59.jpeg44C35438-D008-4927-BDB2-001C93740113.jpeg
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Update: found my Spark. It was on top of the building. All 4 propellers are broke one completely missing. And worst of all a broken arm. Doesn’t have any other blemish on it. The battery must have popped out on collision hence not being able to reconnect video when I was searching for it.

I have read many treads about different fixes.

1. Ordering a new lower shell. I’ve found them for $20-$30 and watched a video. Not going to attempt this!

2. Sending in for repair from DJI. My concern with this is that I have seen prices range from $100-$300 for this repair. If it is going to cost $200-$300 I will go with option #3. Problem is that the only way I can find out is if I mail it to them.

3. Fix it myself. Glue, epoxy, JB Weld something like this.

Wires are still intact and turns on just fine. View attachment 7130View attachment 7131View attachment 7132
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Great and bad news! I just scrolled through posts to see if you had updated. That is a bad crack on the arm! Only thing that would worry me about a diy job on it with glue etc, would be if it doesn't fly the same and you have caused more oroblems/ expense if you still ha e to send it off. Do you have any drone repair companies that are recognised by DJI near you? That may be an option? At least to get a quote and then make a more informed decision? Good luck and glad you found it. Take it he drone was in the dome building ?

The closest DJI authorized repair shop is an 11 hour drive for me. So that’s out. It looks like a pretty clean break (no missing plastic) I’ve read some reviews of people using JB Weld Plastic and they said that there wasn’t any notable flying changes. That is if there isn’t any internal damage. I am curious why the Spark didn’t increase altitude to 300’ prior to heading to the recorded home point. I am super new to techy drones. No doubt it could have been user error but if so I would like to learn from this incedent.

The campus security wouldn’t let me get on the roof. They were as nice as you would expect for getting a call at 8:00 on a Saturday morning about someone crashing a drone into a building on their campus. He said that it was only inches from falling into one of their large rain drains. They did find my Spark and the battery that popped of during impact. For that I am thankful.
FBE57B61-FF6C-455F-8580-679811EE43C4.jpeg

Reactions: R1Sparky
The closest DJI authorized repair shop is an 11 hour drive for me. So that’s out. It looks like a pretty clean break (no missing plastic) I’ve read some reviews of people using JB Weld Plastic and they said that there wasn’t any notable flying changes. That is if there isn’t any internal damage. I am curious why the Spark didn’t increase altitude to 300’ prior to heading to the recorded home point. I am super new to techy drones. No doubt it could have been user error but if so I would like to learn from this incedent.

The campus security wouldn’t let me get on the roof. They were as nice as you would expect for getting a call at 8:00 on a Saturday morning about someone crashing a drone into a building on their campus. He said that it was only inches from falling into one of their large rain drains. They did find my Spark and the battery that popped of during impact. For that I am thankful.
View attachment 7136
Well keep us posted. Will be interesting to see the repair. An obvious thing for the altitude on RTH is stuff that you probably already know- as in the Spark behave in different ways when RTH is activated depend g on how far away from the home point it is. These distances can be adjusted in the settings. May be just worth taking a look at yours as it might give you a clue if there is something wrong there.

View attachment 7136
There is someone on the mavic pilots forum that everyone has complimented him on repairs he has done for them. For all I know he may even be here? personally I would probably try the J-B Weld or some kind of an epoxy first.

There is someone on the mavic pilots forum that everyone has complimented him on repairs he has done for them. For all I know he may even be here? personally I would probably try the J-B Weld or some kind of an epoxy first.

After taking the top cap off and inspecting the Spark in more detail, I found that another arm had a small stress crack on it. I think the best thing to do is send it in for repair. I hate to attempt a DYI and have issues with stability due to poor leveling. I have been flying this drone for only a few weeks but have logged 52 flights and have enjoyed all but one! If It cost a couple hundred dollars to repair, then it should be worth it.

I even looked into ordering a lower body and replacing it myself. $23 seemed very tempting. I wouldn’t have a problem dismantling the interior (guts) and reassembling it (at least it think). I’m just not sure about desoldering and resoldering the motors. Even though I have some experience with soldering on small circuit boards. Just seems to risky.

I will be much more cautious of the RTH mode and from what I have read, maybe I should have tried the pause button instead of canceling the RTH which was unsuccessful.

I have opened a case and received a return label. I will be mailing the Spark out tomorrow.

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the advice.

My two cents on a possible cause for the crash. You were flying at sunset and the dome looks highly reflective. That might have fooled the spark while returning home: it did not see an obstacle and crashed into it.

I would send it in. If it was a problem with the drone you will get a replacement for free under warranty. If you have DJI Care Refresh, it will at least cover you if the warranty doesn't for a small fee. But I wouldn't try to do a self repair. There is a lot going on with these birds that what might seem like a fix is actually not, if there are other components that have been affected. Don't forget that these things can be dangerous and the last thing you want is for your Spark to behave in an erratic way and injure someone because you didn't fix it right.

My two cents on a possible cause for the crash. You were flying at sunset and the dome looks highly reflective. That might have fooled the spark while returning home: it did not see an obstacle and crashed into it.

That seems very likely. I didn’t even think about that. Thanks for the comment.

I would send it in. If it was a problem with the drone you will get a replacement for free under warranty. If you have DJI Care Refresh, it will at least cover you if the warranty doesn't for a small fee. But I wouldn't try to do a self repair. There is a lot going on with these birds that what might seem like a fix is actually not, if there are other components that have been affected. Don't forget that these things can be dangerous and the last thing you want is for your Spark to behave in an erratic way and injure someone because you didn't fix it right.

That’s my thoughts as well. I have my return label now and will be sending it in for repair either today or tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef