Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Low battery warning

Vvdd123

Join
Mar 30, 2020
I just made a flight with outside temp of 6 deg celsius battery display 66%..
Yet got a warning of a low battery and return home was initiated
Does the tem affect battery.
Did get a message to that case but ignored it yet made 2 flights before this with no problem.. could the battery be weak and how do I test it ??
5 deg yes and I live in south africa!!!!

No problems with the temperature. It is within the operating limits of the Spark.

I have a couple of batteries that have experienced the same thing you have.

I launched, hover for a minute, and then errors of a low critical battery which results in aircraft landing, even when the battery is over 60%.

It doesn't happen everytime and when it does, I can turn the Spark off / on and everything is fine with the same battery.

I suspect a glitch in the battery circuitry or the Go4 app??

Some of my batteries have over a hundred charges so that may be a factor.

You can check the current status of the battery on the Spark in the Go4 app under the battery tab. There's also a menu that shows the number of charges and production date of the battery.

AirData is something a lot of pilots have to help with the diagnostics of a flight.

Reactions: Marksspark
I just made a flight with outside temp of 6 deg celsius battery display 66%..
Yet got a warning of a low battery and return home was initiated
Does the tem affect battery.
Did get a message to that case but ignored it yet made 2 flights before this with no problem.. could the battery be weak and how do I test it ??
5 deg yes and I live in south africa!!!!
6C should not have any effect on battery. If you launched with a partially charged battery that may have been the problem as the battery percentage indicator may not be correct. It’s recommended to always launch with a fully charged battery.

Chris

Reactions: Spark 317
No problems with the temperature. It is within the operating limits of the Spark.

I have a couple of batteries that have experienced the same thing you have.

I launched, hover for a minute, and then errors of a low critical battery which results in aircraft landing, even when the battery is over 60%.

It doesn't happen everytime and when it does, I can turn the Spark off / on and everything is fine with the same battery.

I suspect a glitch in the battery circuitry or the Go4 app??

Some of my batteries have over a hundred charges so that may be a factor.

You can check the current status of the battery on the Spark in the Go4 app under the battery tab. There's also a menu that shows the number of charges and production date of the battery.

AirData is something a lot of pilots have to help with the diagnostics of a flight.

thanks for the post and this answer. I did not know that there was battery info in the go4 app next time I use it I will have a look. I have seen my battery info on Airdata . I too have had an expereance of launching my spark with a full battery and getting a warning on the screen when the drone powering off at 90 feet with a quick return to home only because I was hovering over it. It had rained heavily and luckily the ground was softened by this.

Hey Indiana....I'm surprised you're still flying that battery. It will let you down big time. I know because I've made a couple of xcountry dashes to pick up my Mavic Air. The first time I mistook which battery had failed and flew it four more times before the second failure. I have Airdata now and I can look up the parameters of every battery I've ever owned page by page. I can't see where it foresaw that first failure though.
I put a big X on the failed battery and was waiting to dispose of it but..it has no swelling and I've used it for ground stuff. Actually I've flown it in the back yard low..and it consistently fails and lands. I check the battery cell condition in flight more often now by doing as you said. tapping the icon. I have one battery on my Mavic AIr that always shows three green and yet AirData shows a bad cell on the same battery. Maybe someone can explain that.

Reactions: Spark 317
I check the battery cell condition in flight more often now by doing as you said. tapping the icon.

I'm keeping an eye on mine as well.

I have nine batteries and decided to retire battery number two.

It has 117 charges and the last flight I had was perfect with no errors.
But when I tried to take the battery off, it was tight due to the battery swelling during the flight.

It wasn't the same battery with the error. That was number four, and had been working fine since the error last year (111 charges).

Fingers crossed. ?

6C should not have any effect on battery. If you launched with a partially charged battery that may have been the problem as the battery percentage indicator may not be correct. It’s recommended to always launch with a fully charged battery.

Chris
Batterie was fully charged took off with 93%
Then after a minute at 80m high warning battery below 20%
I pressed return home..it did landed spot on still showing 66% but only on green light on battery

Sorry to disagree with some of you, but temperature will always have a bearing on voltage. That's why your car may struggle to start on a cold morning if the battery is getting tired.
This clip I found on the internet may help you understand:

1596317826608.png

Reactions: Kidroc
Yes I tend to think that you are correct because it did give a warning that battery was affected by the temperature and I ignored it.
It did not have that message for battery 1 and 2
Only on 3 maybe battery is weak..now with Spark discontinued it maybe difficult to find replacements that are original...

Constantly learning from the posts on the Forum. I have Airdata and upload my flights to it. Just done the last 20 but when trying to view the data on batteries etc it has a large EXAMPLE pane over the data. Do I have to pay a subscription for the info?

Constantly learning from the posts on the Forum. I have Airdata and upload my flights to it. Just done the last 20 but when trying to view the data on batteries etc it has a large EXAMPLE pane over the data. Do I have to pay a subscription for the info?
Well, I'm not sure about the need of subscription.
I'm on HD360 plan and all info about the batteries are available.

Screenshot_20200802-191347_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: twickers14
Yes I tend to think that you are correct because it did give a warning that battery was affected by the temperature and I ignored it.
It did not have that message for battery 1 and 2
Only on 3 maybe battery is weak..now with Spark discontinued it maybe difficult to find replacements that are original...
I once had my aeroplane parked outside at another airfield a long way from home (Full sized plane powered with a Lexus V8) The next morning there was a huge frost. When I tried to start it, the starter motor would barely turn the motor and so could not start the motor. The battery acted as though it was dead flat.
I waited for an hour or two for the sun to warm the plane and the starter motor spun the motor over like normal and so I was able to fly home. It was a fairly new battery.

The key to using the Spark or any drone in cold weather is to make sure the batteries are warmed up before flight. Once in the air they will warm further/stay warm and you should be able to fly like normal.

I have flown both of my drones in weather colder than -20C without any problems. I keep them warm in my pockets or use my battery warmer.

Chris

Reactions: RotorWash and Vate
Made another flight with same battery...all was ok not issue.. but ambiant weather temperature was now 23 deg Celsius

Sorry to disagree with some of you, but temperature will always have a bearing on voltage. That's why your car may struggle to start on a cold morning if the battery is getting tired.
This clip I found on the internet may help you understand:

View attachment 13226
Well said temp has all the effect in the world on how a lipo acts as it discharged... Why do you think some dji batts have internal warmers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme