Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Manually select frequency band with RC

---Bull deleted---
5.8G is easier obstructed. e.g. 433 MHz penetrate a lot more but also 2.4 has a strong edge over 5.8

Last edited:
OKAY, Important: i got it:

(Solution for Android, iOS untested, maybe it doesnt even have that Bug):

Disconnect USB OTG from the remote, connect to Remote Wifi, select a suitable 2.4G channel ( so the settings ARE really for the Remote <--> SPark Selection.
As soon as it says "will reset & reconnect (or likewise) put Smartdevice in flightmode and connect USB to remote. DJI GO will connect to the Spark and it IS and STAYS in 2.4G.

Tried it and it has way betterrange & penetration then 5.8G.

Used directional Antenna and got even better signal.
Used DUal 2.4G Boosters and got even signal ;-)

(Only "dra" test putting more and more walls between me & Spark as its stormyright now)

Need to try out stuff but its stormy here, lets see.

Will report soon :)

Ender

P.S. my test rig looks like a Borg-Thing, must improve on design if things work out...

Disconnect USB OTG from the remote, connect to Remote Wifi, select a suitable 2.4G channel ( so the settings ARE really for the Remote <--> SPark Selection.
As soon as it says "will reset & reconnect (or likewise) put Smartdevice in flightmode and connect USB to remote. DJI GO will connect to the Spark and it IS and STAYS in 2.4G.

(Only "dra" test putting more and more walls between me & Spark as its stormyright now)

Ender

P.S. my test rig looks like a Borg-Thing, must improve on design if things work out...

You're a star, if it works! :)

It's pretty breezy down here (Sussex) today but will definitely give it a go later.

Reactions: Hansd
Ender, thanks for testing and finding a great way to improve range.
I think you just also proved the manual wrong, e.g. The ranges mentioned in the manual under Remote control are not correct.

I just added two passive 2.4G Antenna to my Spark Remote (6 Euro total) and did a flight of 1000m@15m Altitude.
That was NOT the end but i had to stay close to the ground because of the storm.
I know that area very well also from Testing with WiDV, Breeze, Bebop and Dobby, i KNOW if i can go 1000m@15m i can go at LEAST 1500m@50m Altitude.

See Details in my Hardware Thread, i am happy as a puppy.

Spark Remote teardown / internals...

And thats CE power, FCC people could go to Brazil (no matter where they are) if the battery would last :)

Yihaaa,

Ender

@Hansd, sorry for misreading and beeing smart about it !

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter and Hansd

Ender

This is exciting news @Ender ..great work..Im in Scotland still waiting for fly more...at least there is hope now. Hopefully there will be a kit at some point for alternative antennas:)

It works! Not flown yet but 2.4 seems to be sticking..

Ender, I'm guessing you need to do this every time you start the Spark up as when I restarted the Spark it gone back to 5.8 again?

Ender is our Spark whisperer. It's all above my head, but the Spark seems to understand. If it works better, flies farther we all benefit.

Reactions: Hansd
I'm able to switch between both frequencies and select any channel. My selection is always remembered after reconnecting to the Wi-Fi network.

That could be the key to this mystery. The Spark FAQ includes the following:

Q: What Wi-Fi frequencies does the remote controller support?
A: The remote controller supports 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz dual‑band Wi‑Fi frequencies. 5.8 GHz transmission is not available in some regions due to local regulations.
I've noticed that if I don't have a gps signal, the 5.8 option is not there. As soon as the I have strong gps signal, the option appears. I've had it give me a message that I'm in a different region when I have no gps, which is probably why the 5.8 option goes away.

Great work Ender, thanks so much, will try this later..

So I got 200m on 2.4 still with 3 bars out of 4 showing but there was still some video break up and lag but overall much much better than on 5.8.. This was with a cheap 7" Bush tablet so I'll try it again with my S7 or Shield just in case processing power has any effect..

I just did 1600m@100m ALtitude (CE, 2,4G, Antenna Mod 2 x APA-M25).
But that was pushing it, got disconnect and had to wait for RTH.
But it was quite fluid & responsive up to 1000m@100m and totally carefree up to 500m (even at 5m Altitude).
THATS fine for me.
Up to 1000m i had similar results with cheap & sleep looking Dual Band Omini Antennae.
So those wil be my daily usage Antenna and i will only pull out the APA if in need.

Problem is: WHen the SPark has a disconnect that stupid DJI Firmware seaches freqs again and falls back to 5.8G. NO WAY of getting a reconnect az 1600m distance on 5.8G !
So it has to come back to 400m or so before i was able to reconnect, GRRR.
As we all agree, DJI has to allow LOCK to 2.4G...

Ender

Wow, pretty impressive..

I'm amazed that there's been no f/w updates yet nearly two weeks since release.

Images of setup with good & elegant ANtenna (Dual Band, 5 Euro each, DAILY USE) and slightly Overkill Alfas... I am happy and will keep the small bird:

20170627_141405.jpg 20170627_141506.jpg

When i "beautify" the Installation with shorter Pigtails and 3D Prnted Antenna Holder i will post more pics but for now i am a happy customer :)

Ender

Images of setup with good & elegant ANtenna (Dual Band, 5 Euro each, DAILY USE) and slightly Overkill Alfas... I am happy and will keep the small bird:

View attachment 280 View attachment 281

When i "beautify" the Installation with shorter Pigtails and 3D Prnted Antenna Holder i will post more pics but for now i am a happy customer :)

Ender
Looks good. Is it the same sma connectors used in the mavic mod? Not sure which ones to order.

Cheers

Looks good. Is it the same sma connectors used in the mavic mod? Not sure which ones to order.

Cheers
Its the same but it does not fit in the opening as there is no space inside so i glued them on top. The Glue is easy to remove,i will 3D-print holders for the SMA.
Ender

Its the same but it does not fit in the opening as there is no space inside so i glued them on top. The Glue is easy to remove,i will 3D-print holders for the SMA.
Ender
Thanks. Wish I hadn't just sold my 3d printer now:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex