Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Mini

Rob Hutchings

Join
May 22, 2019
Just had a thought...... If DJI made it possible to fly the MM with a Spark RC, I think they would sell many more of them. I would even be tempted to add one to my Spark hanger myself. I know this won't happen......... Nice thought anyway!.

DJI is very careful not to let one product encroach on sales of another. Not sure about the Mavics, but I'd be surprised if the RCs for them are interchangeable. They can justify the price bump by adding features like more vision sensors, Ocusync on the high end Mavics. DJI had rather you spend more and get the Fly More Combo package to get an RC over the drone by itself.

I've seen numerous posts in the forums by pilots who've bought Mavics and still enjoy their Sparks.

My experiences with hanging on to old gear is, it doesn't get used, after you buy new stuff that does a better job.
My experiences with hanging on to old gear is, it doesn't get used, after you buy new stuff that does a better job.
I totally agree with you there, after all, having the desire to buy a better and newer version of what we already have, is what drives our economy. I know DJI do what they do to make money, but I had the thought that if Spark owners could use there Spark RC, and hey, maybe even there Spark batteries for the MM, just think of the many thousands of Spark owners around the world that would be interested in buying one. Surely DJI would make a good profit from it. As I said, it was just a thought anyway. I know very well that this won't happen. Greetings to you from Australia. Happy flying!.

DJI's quest to make a drone under the 250 gram limit required some compromise. MM has no obstacle avoidance and the battery is Lithium Ion vs Spark's Lithium Polymer. Nothing wrong with LI battery, in fact they're usually less expensive. Unlikely DJI battery allows replacement of cells, but maybe a 3rd party will. I don't recall reading the MM battery is "intelligent" as is Spark's.

On the plus side MM has reportedly longer flying time, foldable design and a higher resolution 3 axis camera. MM operates in the 5.8GHz spectrum whereas Spark is dual band, likely another cost control decision. It's unclear what difference in RCs exist, but you can bet DJI had rather use an RC unique to the MM as an upgrade path (aka, higher price point) for their Fly More Combo.

I'm hoping the official announcement tomorrow will fill-in some of the blanks. I'm not thinking of buying another drone anytime soon, so I'll see how the MM shakes out under consumer testing over time.

Most wives dont care for Drone museums... or so I am told!

Just had a thought...... If DJI made it possible to fly the MM with a Spark RC, I think they would sell many more of them. I would even be tempted to add one to my Spark hanger myself. I know this won't happen......... Nice thought anyway!.

True buddy, or else that would be more benificial for the customer and I guess DJI won't let that happen as that might hamper their business (sales).

Regards,
Sloth Smith Plex – Download Plex Media Server for PC, Mac, TV, Android & iOS TutuApp | Download TutuApp Android APK & iOS Vidmate

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis