Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic mini

I agree. And if I were about to buy my first drone, I'm sure it would have been the mavic mini. But from th Spark, the mini actually seems like a down grade in many senses in my opinion. Sure, it has some advantages over the Spark, but I think the Spark has more advantages over the mini, especially when it comes to manual camera modes (nothing destroys a video more than constantly changing white balance in my opinion), CC hack in Europe (FCC was driving me nuts) and some intelligent flight modes. 'm not prepared to lose all that. With 5 batteries for my Spark, flying time is not an issue for me.
I don’t get the whole “this is a downgrade from the Spark” idea. The Mini has a better gimba., a better camera, better flight time, and packs into a smaller package when not flying. The only real shortcomings are 1) less obstacle avoidance (which rarely kicks in while I’m flying, and doesn’t work in sport mode anyway), 2) and active track.

I don’t get the whole “this is a downgrade from the Spark” idea. The Mini has a better gimba., a better camera, better flight time, and packs into a smaller package when not flying. The only real shortcomings are 1) less obstacle avoidance (which rarely kicks in while I’m flying, and doesn’t work in sport mode anyway), 2) and active track.

I suppose it depends on the individual needs of each pilot. You don't need OA, so it's not a downgrade for you. But as for the camera, for me personally, manual shutter, white balance, ISO is much more imporant than going from 1080 to 2.7k. or 3 axis instead of 2, etc. If I can get it all, sure great, if I have to chose, then that's another business. If these things are not important to you, then of course the mini has other advantages.

Reactions: Rob Hutchings
Maybe it’s just me, but you shouldn’t be flying close enough to people that some “... poor unsuspecting person...” is at risk of being plowed into, obstacle avoidance system or not.
I totally get that obstacle avoidance has saved most pilots backside at least once, and I am sad that it was excluded on the Mini. But I understand why, those sensors add weight.
Joe, really I wouldn't either on purpose but ...as I said...unsuspecting...I guess that would go for the other person and me..

No, Spark and Mini are good beginner drones, waiting for the trade up, plus I do not think the Mini will have good sales for a while.

I would get Mavic Air because it is a step up, hope the future beginning drone flyers enjoy it though

Another thing that is not talk about is the tighter fly restrictions with the Mini just by the inclusion of AeroScope, but of course DJI doesn't want to talk about this.

AeroScope? Were you referring to FlySafe database and GeoZones - which has all of DJI’s wonderful (pun intended) restrictions/NFZs?

AeroScope is the ground-based DJI drone ID/detection system that can identify most (if not all) of our drones.

It’s assumed that the Mini will be following suit with everything DJI launched since the Spark, which transmits a UUID (Unique User ID) that can be decoded by detection systems to identify the aircraft/user.

In some platforms/firmware versions you can turn it off (Mavic Pro for instance); on M2 Enterprise birds it transmits that data all the time and cannot be defeated.

Agreed. From what I read, the lack of camera adjustment functionality can be dealt with using AE Lock. From the early reviews I saw, AE Lock is still a function on the MM.

Active track and Obs Avoidance are not something I'll miss. I never used them on my Spark or Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Spark 317
I think the bland look is to encourage you to color it with markers and stickers from the DIY Creative Kit. :)

"a DIY Creative Kit is available, which provides blank shell stickers and colorful markers that can be used to personalize and decorate Mavic Mini. The DIY Kit can be purchased separately at the DJI Online Store."

Since I don't fly in the rain, I think I'll just use my granddaughter's magic markers and save a few bucks! :p
I think what needs to be born in mind is there is only 1gm wriggle room for even adorning it with stickers. It might say 249g on the side but as soon as even light customisation is added it will beak that weight limit.

Reactions: RotorWash
I wouldn't mind having one, but I wouldn't trade the Spark for it. Obstacle avoidance is big in my book. It's the difference between plowing into some poor unsuspecting person or anything else that gets in flight path or not. I'm thinking that's why they have those b*tt ugly prop guards. Those things are hideous and would be a disaster in the wind judging by how poorly the Spark fly's in gusty conditions while using prop protection. Mainly though..it doesn't hold a candle to the Spark in the look's dept. and neither do any of the rest of the Mavic line in my opinion.
It's a big wide world and I'm thinking that DJI figured they could lure in beginners in the USA a lot cheaper with the Mini and of course there should be a huge market for it in other more restrictive country's.
I have a remote cert. but I guess I have forgotten that you can fly some drones close to airports as Roy says.
You couldn't fly outside with the prop guards in any case without registration as it would take it well over 250g, which would negate the benefits of buying it,

I think what needs to be born in mind is there is only 1gm wriggle room for even adorning it with stickers. It might say 249g on the side but as soon as even light customisation is added it will beak that weight limit.
I was being a bit facetious with my earlier comment but I agree. I was going to mention about the prop guards as well but see that you already have. Seems odd that DJI is marketing this drone to new flyers who probably don't want registration, yet the act of adding prop guards, something which can be beneficial for new pilots, will easily put it over registration weight. So the incentive is not to add the guards if you don't want to register. Maybe not a big safety issue as the MM's blades seem fairly harmless but the guards can also help protect the craft itself especially with those new to flying. The lack of OA to save weight/money is also something that works against new pilots as well.

Its like asking 'Blondes or Brunettes'
Each to their own choice.
Or have one of each, and dump which one bores you.

Yep, not even able to use a filter(s) when they come out, unless you want to register in various countries when travelling, and be able to get better video.
I'm looking at the MM primarily for that advantage, as most countries have that sub 250g category that don't need extra pre travel time getting rego'd where needed.

I'd also like to be able to add a strobe, as the MM is small and a poor colour for visibility, and going to be easier to lose VLOS.
A FHT Dual at 3.6g would be great, but obviously push you over.
Even a bright skin would be too much.

They should have options for bright body colour (like some Sparks), and make part of the shell from carbon fibre to reduce weight a good 10g - 15g to allow for a filter and strobe.
That would be worth another $50 or so, if that's what it would have cost in retail terms.

Yep, not even able to use a filter(s) when they come out, unless you want to register in various countries when travelling, and be able to get better video.
I'm looking at the MM primarily for that advantage, as most countries have that sub 250g category that don't need extra pre travel time getting rego'd where needed.

I'd also like to be able to add a strobe, as the MM is small and a poor colour for visibility, and going to be easier to lose VLOS.
A FHT Dual at 3.6g would be great, but obviously push you over.
Even a bright skin would be too much.

They should have options for bright body colour (like some Sparks), and make part of the shell from carbon fibre to reduce weight a good 10g - 15g to allow for a filter and strobe.
That would be worth another $50 or so, if that's what it would have cost in retail terms.
Carbon fiber is a no go,. Video signaal almost dont penetrate carbon fiber.

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
Carbon fiber is a no go,. Video signaal almost dont penetrate carbon fiber.

Good to know, thanks . . . a quick google confirms RF issues with carbon fibre.
Perhaps there are other such lightweight materials that could be used, or other means to drop a few more g . . . point is, going for 249g is just too fine to use the MM sub 250g, and still be able to get some nice video using a suitable ND filter, or adding a bright skin and / or small strobe to give good VLOS at a reasonable distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex