Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic mini

It also seems to me that the Mini has no LEDs, which precludes night flight, which is allowed here in Canada with the appropriate lighting. The LEDs on the Spark are also useful as status indicactors in my mind.
Thanks for mentioning this Medley. I didn't even think to check about the LEDs. I find them very useful as well and I like a calm night flight from time to time.

I’m getting one for the reason that I don’t have to ask for a LAANC approval all the time to fly my birds, even the small Spark that I carry with me all the time. Too many airports here in California. 2.7K is good enough for me since I always do a post before I publish them in social media. I turn off the OA sensor all the time to increase the battery life on the Spark and I normally get around 14 minutes flying time. Osmo Pocket and MM fits in a small case.

The MM is still subject to the same rules/regs as any drone over 250gr other than registration...You still need LAANC approval.

It also seems to me that the Mini has no LEDs, which precludes night flight, which is allowed here in Canada with the appropriate lighting. The LEDs on the Spark are also useful as status indicactors in my mind.

Proper night lighting? Drone LED’s?
Surely you’re not suggesting the Drone‘s indicator LED‘s on the drone motors meet Regulation as “proper”.
USA is also allowed as “Recreational / Hobbyist“ flight with proper lighting, the PT107 flight status requires advanced waiver. (A PT107 can declare prior to flight that it’s recreational the last time I verified)

The term “proper“ means intensity of light and viewable from all directions. The lighting that meets aviation regulations, which are global regulations all countries apply. Some Countries are more strick, but the minimum is 3 Nautical Miles, viewable all 4 directions. No low intensity Drone led comes close to that specification.

Several newer types are now made, but the smallest & lightest are Cree LED’s. Should be using Cree LED’s... and Cree holders for all DJI, Yuneec, Autel platforms are available to allow snapping on & off quickly. The Cree 2-3 LED meet minimal standards, and now offered are 4 LED lights. Placing these can on legs, belly or top... Usually if placed on 4 legs, they are visible from all directions.

I had 1LED Sets... very bright, then changed to 2LED... the new ARC 4LED look interesting but the 2LED sets work great. I easily move them between aircraft using appropriate mounts for each

I personally don’t know if Mavic Mini has LED’s... guess I assumed at least indicators for video.

But no Drone has motor LED’s pass any countries aviation night visibility minimal requirement.

Enjoy the Night Flying, but make yourself visible to Aircraft!

A few examples:
eBay site with 2LED light

New 4LED light

Makes the Mounts instead of Velcro

Last edited:
The MM is still subject to the same rules/regs as any drone over 250gr other than registration...You still need LAANC approval.
That’s correct, in addition at 249g if you place a sticker, skin wrap, or prop guards... you need to register. The weight is “Fly” weight, not initial weight. Anything added onto Aircraft puts it into the Registration category.

i sold my spark for a mini and bought the mini 2 days ago.. i sold it for 200 with remote 2 batts ... yea totally the spark is getting old batteries are few and far between... the spark you have to register... this little one you wont and will last as long as the full size drones... so its got a few things going for it... of course there will be acessories for it like car chargers etc... im looking forward to it..

i sold my spark for a mini and bought the mini 2 days ago.. i sold it for 200 with remote 2 batts ... yea totally the spark is getting old batteries are few and far between... the spark you have to register... this little one you wont and will last as long as the full size drones... so its got a few things going for it... of course there will be acessories for it like car chargers etc... im looking forward to it..
Wow... where'd you find a Mini, they not arriving to the stores until Nov 11th.
Registration, Put anything on it and you'll have to register it with the FAA like any other craft. Just one decretive decal bumps it into the 250g Registration zone.

Enjoy the Mini!!!

Before it was released yesterday, I was seriously thinking about buying the Mavic Mini, but after seeing the specs, I don't think I will. No obstacle avoidance, no AEB photos, no active track, etc. Same camera sensor as Spark, yes, it is 2.7k, but I don´t care too much about that, who can tell the difference between 1080, 2.7k and 4k on youtube and smartphones? The mini is too stripped of features for the money in my opinion. I think the only real advantage to the Spark is the battery, the 3 axis gimbal, and of course the weight, beeing less than 250gr. almost convinced me, but seeing the lack of other features... it's not enough for me to the leave the Spark and buy the mini.
Haha, that is exactly what I think about this.
I thought the Mini was going to have the Spark features and more but nope, which tells me they are going to maintain the Spark line.
It bothers me that it is sold as a portable, take anywhere, casual drone, yet you need to carry the Remote along becasue there is no option of a direct Phone control like the Spark has.
Another thing that is not talk about is the tighter fly restrictions with the Mini just by the inclusion of AeroScope, but of course DJI doesn't want to talk about this.
When you add all the extra goodies that come with the available hacks,the third party software support, lost of affordable accessories it makes the Spark much more appealing to me.
After knowing the specs, I got disapointed and ordered another Fly More Combo as a backup for the long term.
Needles to say I Iove the Spark.

Proper night lighting? Drone LED’s?
Surely you’re not suggesting the Drone‘s indicator LED‘s on the drone motors meet Regulation as “proper”.
USA is also allowed as “Recreational / Hobbyist“ flight with proper lighting, the PT107 flight status requires advanced waiver. (A PT107 can declare prior to flight that it’s recreational the last time I verified)

The term “proper“ means intensity of light and viewable from all directions. The lighting that meets aviation regulations, which are global regulations all countries apply. Some Countries are more strick, but the minimum is 3 Nautical Miles, viewable all 4 directions. No low intensity Drone led comes close to that specification.

Several newer types are now made, but the smallest & lightest are Cree LED’s. Should be using Cree LED’s... and Cree holders for all DJI, Yuneec, Autel platforms are available to allow snapping on & off quickly. The Cree 2-3 LED meet minimal standards, and now offered are 4 LED lights. Placing these can on legs, belly or top... Usually if placed on 4 legs, they are visible from all directions.

I had 1LED Sets... very bright, then changed to 2LED... the new ARC 4LED look interesting but the 2LED sets work great. I easily move them between aircraft using appropriate mounts for each

I personally don’t know if Mavic Mini has LED’s... guess I assumed at least indicators for video.

But no Drone has motor LED’s pass any countries aviation night visibility minimal requirement.

Enjoy the Night Flying, but make yourself visible to Aircraft!

A few examples:
eBay site with 2LED light

New 4LED light

Makes the Mounts instead of Velcro

Regs are different up here in Canada. The focus is not about pilots in other aircraft seeing the drone but is about the drone pilot seeing his/her own drone. With the LEDs on the Spark I have no issue at all keeping a VLOS of 500m. Of course I only do so in safe conditions and knowing well the area I'm in. I made a post about night flying a while back.

nightflight.jpg

Wondering if the authorities might interpret "equipped with position lights sufficient to allow the aircraft to be visible to the pilot and any visual observer to mean someone on board a manned aircraft.

Regs are different up here in Canada. The focus is not about pilots in other aircraft seeing the drone but is about the drone pilot seeing his/her own drone. With the LEDs on the Spark I have no issue at all keeping a VLOS of 500m. Of course I only do so in safe conditions and knowing well the area I'm in. I made a post about night flying a while back.

View attachment 11792
Thanks for the note... interesting.
Wow... that's simply poor & scary.
To allow sUAV to operate at night under those minimal conditions is an accident waiting to happen.
Wasn't aware they provided an individual requirement for sUAV and so below any reasonable safety standard.

The FAA reguarding night visibility views it a bit differently... as with many other countries.

Well, learned something new today!
If it was me, I'd still want my sUAV visible to any aviation in the area.

Reactions: I B Spectre
I wouldn't mind having one, but I wouldn't trade the Spark for it. Obstacle avoidance is big in my book. It's the difference between plowing into some poor unsuspecting person or anything else that gets in flight path or not. I'm thinking that's why they have those b*tt ugly prop guards. Those things are hideous and would be a disaster in the wind judging by how poorly the Spark fly's in gusty conditions while using prop protection. Mainly though..it doesn't hold a candle to the Spark in the look's dept. and neither do any of the rest of the Mavic line in my opinion.
It's a big wide world and I'm thinking that DJI figured they could lure in beginners in the USA a lot cheaper with the Mini and of course there should be a huge market for it in other more restrictive country's.
I have a remote cert. but I guess I have forgotten that you can fly some drones close to airports as Roy says.
Maybe it’s just me, but you shouldn’t be flying close enough to people that some “... poor unsuspecting person...” is at risk of being plowed into, obstacle avoidance system or not.
I totally get that obstacle avoidance has saved most pilots backside at least once, and I am sad that it was excluded on the Mini. But I understand why, those sensors add weight.

To me, the value in obstacle avoidance is in being able to fly in semi-auto or full autonomous modes with less chance of running into something. Spark was designed as a "selfie drone" and features like Active Track is something some use, some don't . If you want overhead video of a hike, biking, boating or the like, being able to have Spark follow you works well and the OA and prop guards can provide extra assurance that the drone will be okay so you don't have to keep eyes on it. I've never considered OA to keep other people safe because I'm not going to put anyone in danger by being anywhere close to them.

It's a cool drone but no real urge to switch. I still think my next drone purchase will be in the big/more professional category retaining the Spark for travel and the like. It does sound like 249g as a design goal led to some compromises and it's largely a marketing thing.

Okay, okay, l Ioads of videos out there already, but thinm this highlights the quite basic camera functions, compared to the Spark.

Good information. The fact that you can't manually adjust shutter speed and while balance make it a no go for me.

Good information. The fact that you can't manually adjust shutter speed and while balance make it a no go for me.

There seem to be a lot of things like this that are going to make it unappealing to existing users but presumably not much of a barrier to casual new people.

I’m hoping that they make a Mavic Mini Pro with a better camera and active track. Because, this package, with the Mavic 2 Pro camera, flight modes, and obstacle avoidance would be the perfect drone for me.

Reactions: AdamBoltGC
There seem to be a lot of things like this that are going to make it unappealing to existing users but presumably not much of a barrier to casual new people.

I agree. And if I were about to buy my first drone, I'm sure it would have been the mavic mini. But from th Spark, the mini actually seems like a down grade in many senses in my opinion. Sure, it has some advantages over the Spark, but I think the Spark has more advantages over the mini, especially when it comes to manual camera modes (nothing destroys a video more than constantly changing white balance in my opinion), CC hack in Europe (FCC was driving me nuts) and some intelligent flight modes. 'm not prepared to lose all that. With 5 batteries for my Spark, flying time is not an issue for me.

Reactions: Andro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers