Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mobile Device GPS Warning

jrhoffman75

Join
Mar 1, 2019
Hello. iPhone 6S (latest iOS 12.2), Spark and RC (latest firmware). Phone is used without SIM card as a monitor. Whether in Airplane mode or not, when I try to select Home Point being the controller location I get a warning pop-up that sys mobile device GPS signal weak cannot select location as home point (not the exact wording). This is outside. If I go to Maps I can find my location on the map (as well as in the Go4 app when flying drone.) Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.

Hello. iPhone 6S (latest iOS 12.2), Spark and RC (latest firmware). Phone is used without SIM card as a monitor. Whether in Airplane mode or not, when I try to select Home Point being the controller location I get a warning pop-up that sys mobile device GPS signal weak cannot select location as home point (not the exact wording). This is outside. If I go to Maps I can find my location on the map (as well as in the Go4 app when flying drone.) Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.

That RTH option hasn't worked for a long time for me on iOS either (iPhone X). I can only set Home Point as the drone its self (initially at launch point) but cannot set it to the RC's location. "Weak GPS" message is erroneous because my AC has 17 satellites with same view of the sky. I read somewhere it's a software bug but figured DJI would fix it by now.

So it's not just you. I'd love to know if anybody has that feature working currently on iOS. Would be useful to have the HP regularly updating to RC location when flying from a boat or hiking since so far from original takeoff point by end of flight.

I've got Dynamic Home Point enabled in the Settings but that only affects the "Follow Me" modes (AC).

I use the exact same setup: iPhone 6S without SIM card (latest iOS 12.2), Spark and RC (latest firmware). I fly every day without a single problem.

That RTH option hasn't worked for a long time for me on iOS either (iPhone X). I can only set Home Point as the drone its self (initially at launch point) but cannot set it to the RC's location. "Weak GPS" message is erroneous because my AC has 17 satellites with same view of the sky. I read somewhere it's a software bug but figured DJI would fix it by now.

So it's not just you. I'd love to know if anybody has that feature working currently on iOS. Would be useful to have the HP regularly updating to RC location when flying from a boat or hiking since so far from original takeoff point by end of flight.

I've got Dynamic Home Point enabled in the Settings but that only affects the "Follow Me" modes (AC).
I looked at this problem last year with same
I had the same problem last year with my iPad mini 4 cellular , seen others had good results using Garmin Glo Bluetooth GPS ( they had WiFi mini 4 only) ,I purchased one but no luck with RTC getting same message as you ,would give very accurate GPS position on map ( 1.8 to 2 metres) but Spark would / could not see this accuracy ? , read somewhere that Spark needs to see an accuracy of min three metres to activate RTC. Tried the Garmin with cheap Android phone and I was surprised that it worked perfectly and activated RTC and landed within one metre of my new location. My conclusion then was the problem was with iOS as it would improve its internal GPS accuracy but not to external sources ,still giving 5 to 10 metres accuracy for GPS and this not good enough for the Spark. Android app allows it to take over as primary GPS source. That was my take from it - Garmin Glo works with Spark on Android but not on IOS .

I'm wondering, how can Spark "know" the accuracy of my device's positioning system?

Last edited:
I'm wondering, how can Spark "know" the accuracy of my device's positioning system?
Hi, Straight answer I do not know but I assume it detects the GPS position from the phone or tablet that's connected to controller. Why DJI could not have embedded a GPS chip in it's controllers like cheaper drones have!. When I had the Hubsan H501s drone with its builtin monitor you could view both the drone and controllers GPS lat and long on the monitor, I liked this feature and drone would RTC when RTH button activated. So you could be positioned at original take off or home point or have moved to new location and Hubsan would return to your present location.

Reactions: Spark 317
Hi, Straight answer I do not know but I assume it detects the GPS position from the phone or tablet that's connected to controller. Why DJI could not have embedded a GPS chip in it's controllers like cheaper drones have!. When I had the Hubsan H501s drone with its builtin monitor you could view both the drone and controllers GPS lat and long on the monitor, I liked this feature and drone would RTC when RTH button activated. So you could be positioned at original take off or home point or have moved to new location and Hubsan would return to your present location.
Of course, it detects operator's position, from GPS of the device.

But Spark cannot calculate the accuracy of this GPS module.

And if it cannot know the accuracy, then it cannot reject it, due to low accuracy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers