Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Motor Replacement

Join
Apr 1, 2018
Thought I would post this in case it could help someone else out..

Just a few days after receiving my spark, I ran it into tree limbs while flying in reverse. :confused:

One prop came completely off and cracked 1 other prop. Quickly replaced both props.. recalibrated compass and IMU. Spark gas been flying without issue since.. however, I noticed that battery life wasn't what it used to be. I know that many factors can affect battery life - such as wind, lots of hovering, etc.. but I was getting maybe 9 minutes of flight time under "no wind" conditions.

Turns out, that the motor for the prop that had completely come off during the crash was now "sluggish" to turn by hand.. it had added resistance that the other 3 props didn't.

I disassembled the motor and checked that the shaft was in good condition - and it was. My only other thought was that possibly one of the motor magnets had been moved during impact and caused the added resistance. I'm not sure.

But anyway, ordered a replacement motor and was able to install it fairly quickly. Took me about 20 minutes total time from taking the prop off to putting the prop back on. Not very difficult to do as long as you have soldering experience.

I'm happy to report that the new motor "feels" the same spinning it by hand as the other 3. And my battery life is back up to what it was before.:cool:

So I can only assume that the added resistance of the motor was causing it to eat up more battery to keep it spinning properly. I never received any kind of warning message in the app for this.

Attachments

• IMAG3827.jpg
    IMAG3827.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMAG3828.jpg
    IMAG3828.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • IMAG3829.jpg
    IMAG3829.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: Kidroc and Gaallen

Members online