Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Moving down from a Mavic Pro

I did the exact thing you are considering! I owned the Mavic Pro, but didn't fly it as much mainly because of the set up, and the focusing issues I was getting. Camera settings seemed to touchy. Plus, I prefer the smaller size, ease of hand launching/landing while I kayak. Also the spark is not as Obvious when flying, people don't approach you as often.
Once I sold my Mavic Pro, and purchased the Spark, I felt the photos were BETTER than from the Mavic (My opinion of course). I never Used 4K (too much strain on computer and storage) for videos, and feel that the 1080 videos are also a bit better/easier than my Mavic was.
Plus, I had extra cash from the sale/purchase, almost had half my money left over after purchasing a brand new Spark. I did purchase two more batteries as well which gives me plenty of flying time. I rarely fly out of line of sight (too chicken, I once lost a phantom that way), and rarely fly over 10 minutes per flight/launch.
I now have my spark with me everywhere in a tiny Lowepro soft case, and can fly at will in a couple minutes at most!
Sold My Mavic almost a year ago, and haven't regretted it ONE BIT!

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, KayakMark34.

Your post reminds me of how well the little Spark performs compared to the rest if the DJI family.

I too want to move up to a Mavic someday but the Spark is so easy to manage at a moment's notice.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, KayakMark34.

Your post reminds me of how well the little Spark performs compared to the rest if the DJI family.

I too want to move up to a Mavic someday but the Spark is so easy to manage at a moment's notice.

Welcome to the Forum. ?
Yeah...IDK why I’m
A new member...been on the forums since my original Phantom 1.1.1....and have had at least 4 others including the Mavic and my favorite...the Spark!
But thank you...?

Reactions: Spark 317
Reading these comments, what’s that much faster about getting the spark in the air than a mavic pro? Aside from unfolding the legs of the mavic, and that takes maybe 20 seconds. Seems to me the remote connects to the Mavic and is ready for take off faster, and seems to me it’s just as fast to get in the air as the spark.
I agree with some of the comments about the Spark camera maybe being better. Some people might not agree, but I use the drones mostly for simple single shot pics on auto and personally I thought the pics from the Spark were better than the ones from my platinum.

Last edited:
I've been using it a lot with Spark and loved the ability to tilt the gimbal to point on object and the pano mode made it in the center point. Unfortunately Mavic Pro can't do this. Every time I started any Pano mode, it leveled back to horizon keeping like half of shot occupied by empty sky (overbrighted too because it measured and locked exposure by 1st picture which usually was the ground. Locking exposure manually didn't do anything).

So is it only the Spark that doesn't level back to the horizon with all Mavics (MP, MA, M2) leveling back to the horizon ?

So is it only the Spark that doesn't level back to the horizon with all Mavics (MP, MA, M2) leveling back to the horizon ?
It's really personal preferences, but the on the Spark, I take it out, turn on and launch from my hand no matter where I am. The Mavic required a couple more steps to prepare (gimbal cover was a pita), and locate a spot to launch/land. The camera settings were very finicky for me (not to mention sometimes getting uneven horizons). The Mavic rarely got a sharply focused shot right away. My Spark always has, with less bother.
These are just my experiences, yours may not be similar to mine.

Well they are and honestly I never thought I'd be having these problems when I moved up from my trusty Spark to the Alpine Combo :-(

The only thing that I keep reading is that the MP is much more "visible" to those who dont like drones over their heads. The Spark can pass off as a "toy" to the uninformed which keeps their indignation mostly to themselves, less confrontational, etc. I am currently lusting after the MP as its price is getting lower these days, I am going to keep the Spark also if at all possible. $$$ are tight in a one income family :-( . The difference in specs is totally undeniable.

Careful what you wish for ;-)
The MP is a lot of fun but I don't think you'll be able to do anything you can't do with the Spark unless you absolutely need 4k.
It's very convenient to be able to fly around without having to worry about interference but let's be honest, that's only really going needed when you fly out of VLOS, i.e. illegally, so once you've done it a few times, well...
I guess I'd be more tempted to keep it if it took perfect pictures nearly each time like the Spark.

Mavic Pro is better than Spark, in every aspect.

ALL Mavic systems are better.

Only Spark's advantage is, smaller size (portability).

Reading these comments, what’s that much faster about getting the spark in the air than a mavic pro? Aside from unfolding the legs of the mavic, and that takes maybe 20 seconds. Seems to me the remote connects to the Mavic and is ready for take off faster, and seems to me it’s just as fast to get in the air as the spark.
I agree with some of the comments about the Spark camera maybe being better. Some people might not agree, but I use the drones mostly for simple single shot pics on auto and personally I thought the pics from the Spark were better than the ones from my platinum.
For me personally, it's the additional equipment that I now use with my MP. With the spark it was the drone, remote and phone. I never really used the otg cable, didn't see a difference with it. So basically 3 components and you're flying. I could easily have it from the case to the air in under a minute. Now with my MP I also stared using a full size ipad and mavmount. So with the little additional setup of the drone itself and the couple extra steps of setting up the remote, it is maybe 4-5 minutes and I'm flying. So while it does take longer in my situation, it's not really a big difference. The may issue comes in when I look at the additional setup and tear down and I only have 15-20 minutes to fly. Some times I just say screw it and don't feel like messing with it right now. With the spark if I had 15 minutes to burn, that was a full flight.

Reactions: Sparksupersonic
For me personally, it's the additional equipment that I now use with my MP. With the spark it was the drone, remote and phone. I never really used the otg cable, didn't see a difference with it. So basically 3 components and you're flying. I could easily have it from the case to the air in under a minute. Now with my MP I also stared using a full size ipad and mavmount. So with the little additional setup of the drone itself and the couple extra steps of setting up the remote, it is maybe 4-5 minutes and I'm flying. So while it does take longer in my situation, it's not really a big difference. The may issue comes in when I look at the additional setup and tear down and I only have 15-20 minutes to fly. Some times I just say screw it and don't feel like messing with it right now. With the spark if I had 15 minutes to burn, that was a full flight.
Agree 100%... my first few DJI drones were all about the tech/distances/settings, etc....NOW I just wanna fly and get Great PICS. I do mostly photos, not videos...and I only do 1080 Vids when I do do (teehee) Vids, because I'm not doing it for pro purposes, and the Simplicity and Quality of the Spark is the BEST IMO. The Hand launch/landing is awesome NO matter what the terrain/location you may be at.

This was my review for B&H after my Spark Purchase...and I still stand behind my comments!
Sold my Mavic for the Spark
By Mark

I owned the Mavic Pro for just under a year. Never used the 4K because my computer couldn't handle it anyway (and I don't have a 4K TV/Monitor). Never flew too far away, so the distance of a mile plus on the Spark was more than enough for me. Loved the smaller size of the Spark for transporting and using while kayaking. Easier to launch, from my case, and hand catch. The Mavic Pro seems huge to me now, and I've owned a few Phantoms before the Mavic Pro.
The focus problems on the Mavic Pro was driving me nuts as well.I Figured I would sell the Mavic Pro while it was still in great shape and the value was still high (until the new one comes out, which I hear could be soon).
The Colors are way more accurate/rich, and the focus is superior on the Spark's video over the Mavic Pro IMO! I honestly believe the still photos are also better than the Mavic Pro??! (Note, the Mavic Pro has a f2.8 lens @28mm, the Spark a f2.6 @25mm, so there is a difference somewhere, although lots of reviews say they are the same camera?) The ease of set up makes it fun to fly again. With the newer pricing WITH the free controller, I fly more often now because I'm not worried about losing $1000 if it does get damaged/lost.
With the sale of my Mavic, I still have half the funds leftover from that sale, and a Brand new Spark (and extra batteries) which meets my needs better than the Mavic Pro.
I always have The Spark with me now and can fly anytime anywhere, and you are not as noticeable/intimidating with the "toy" looking drone. I know this is cliche', but, "The best camera/drone is the one you have with you."
I chose The Spark over the Mavic Air for similar reasons as stated above, but mainly cost.
Will this be my last drone, probably not...but its the best one for me at this time, and I ALWAYS buy "my toys" from B&H!

Yeah the Spark is the "reasonable" drone ;-) There are going to be some use cases though where Ocusync is going to be handy of course, as well as the battery life...

I can honestly say that Spark does clearer pictures than my Mavic Air. Whatever settings I tried, can't get even close to it. That's why I use Spark for pano shots rather than Air. On the other hand, Mavic is much better in video shooting so each of them has its own purpose for me.

from what I've experienced when shooting pano:

Mavic Air:
Horizontal pano (3x3) levels back to horizon if you try to shoot with gimbal aimed lower than 45 degrees below horizon and isn't capable of taking straight down horizontal panos like Spark does (one shot straight down, tilts the gimbal little up and takes 8 more pictures around). Mavic Air can do straight down shots only in vertical pano mode (3 shots - one shot straight down, one shot slightly up and one shot in the opposite side). In 180 degrees pano it behaves exactly same like Spark does - levels to the horizon and takes 7x3 rows of photos.
Sphere pano is composed of 25 pictures (not 46 like on Spark).

Mavic Pro:
Horizontal pano (3x3) levels back to horizon everytime except for straight down shots (it behaves same like Spark - one shot down and other 8 around it). Other pano modes are pretty similar.

Can't tell how it is with Mavic 2 but from what I've heard, it's pretty same as the Mavic Air does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67