Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Moving gimble to point forward

Sorry for the noob questions. We have done the IMU calibration. Can't find gimble calibration. Saw where you can adjust the gimbles sideways angle. So is it okay to try moving camera up and down gently by hand?

Sorry there is no gimbal calibration on the spark, check if you haven't set the gimbal pitch speed to "0" which would mean no movement, I'd set it "10" for a smooth operation

Also have a look at the special function buttons on the control, you can set one to "camera down" , then you can try if it works to see if the gimbal is functioning

Just to recap:
We assume that it flies OK, which means that there is a link between the joystick remote controller (RC), and both the Spark, and your mobile device. Also, we assume that it has never crashed.

While that connection exists, as you hold it in your hand, try to roll the drone left and right. The image you see onscreen, should NOT roll left or right, if the gimbal is working; if the image DOES tilt left or right as you roll the drone, you have a problem is in the gimbal. When the drone is powered up, the image stabilization is ON, irrespective of what elevation you have set using the thumbwheel on the RC.

I highly recommend getting a gimbal cover, to protect it from any undue pressure on it, like when you're changing the battery.

Is this the problem your having

Have you tried to turn it on while it's upside down, maybe that will reset the gimbal to a more horizontal position

Last edited:
I haven't tried it, but my son said moving te camera is free all the way. No resistance. Feels the same when powered off and powered on.

Yes, it flies perfectly. Everything else seems great. Only the gimble. Flown it very short distance maybe 5 times. Gone through one battery power. Absolutely no crashes and been extra careful handling.
Tilted it and the view on the phone does tilt.
Tried turning it on upside down. No life in it at all.
No errors on the phone come up.

Yes, the gimbal cover was one of 8 accessories I was going to buy, along with joystick holders, sun shield etc etc... (already have prop protectors on) I was going to buy online, but I am ot sure about the company. Looks like a dodgy online company. Not sure.

I haven't tried it, but my son said moving te camera is free all the way. No resistance. Feels the same when powered off and powered on.
If the camera is free to move the same when powered or not, then there is a failure in the Spark as previously indicated, some cable damaged or connection broken. Sorry for that.
Warranty repair or DIY repair, your choice, first is probably the best to do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

While that connection exists, as you hold it in your hand, try to roll the drone left and right. The image you see onscreen, should NOT roll left or right, if the gimbal is working; if the image DOES tilt left or right as you roll the drone, you have a problem is in the gimbal. When the drone is powered up, the image stabilization is ON, irrespective of what elevation you have set using the thumbwheel on the RC.

But you have to switch the gimbal mode to follow instead of fpv I think (or maybe the other way around) in order to make the rotation stable.
I assume you can adjust that at the same menu where you can adjust the gimbal speed.
I apologize for my bad English.
Greetings from Munich (Germany)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

I was saying to my wife that in all the searching I have done, there have been errors with the gimble but I haven't heard of this fault online yet. So could I have got sent the one in a million that the gimble connection is faulty. Wow... could even be same odds as winning a lottery! lol. Typical for me.

I was saying to my wife that in all the searching I have done, there have been errors with the gimble but I haven't heard of this fault online yet. So could I have got sent the one in a million that the gimble connection is faulty. Wow... could even be same odds as winning a lottery! lol. Typical for me.

Did you check out the gimbal pitch speed setting to make sure it's not set to zero ?

Yes. Before coming on here I saw it was set to 50, so I had seen online to shift it to 10 or 20.

When I first started my Spark, it goes through a gimbal test, pointing straight down, then up, et cetera. Does yours do that?

Is there an error message on the app screen about gimbal overload?

I think sadly you're going to have to bite the bullet and start the returns procedure and get Dji to sort it out for you. Not ideal but your only option i'm afraid..

DJI got back to us with the first response. They asked if we have the latest firmware. Yes. Then have you callibrated the gimble. I can't find how to do that so I have written back and asked how. (We have callibrated IMU and adjusted gimble pitch speed. Gimble didn't move any of the times we turned on the Spark. No errors come up in app.

Last edited:
DJI got back to our answers to their questions with, 'We are glad your problem has been resolved.' Huh? So I went to online support. They asked a few questions but said they couldn't help and told me to email DJI support. So I have emailed them again. Round and round we go.....

DJI got back to our answers to their questions with, 'We are glad your problem has been resolved.' Huh? So I went to online support. They asked a few questions but said they couldn't help and told me to email DJI support. So I have emailed them again. Round and round we go.....

Have you done a firmware "refresh/ reload" via DJI Assistant 2 on a pc, see the second half of this video

DJI assistant 2 also has the option to return the AC settings back to factory which you should try as well.

However I think it's a hardware failure and you should return it to the retailer if it's local or DJI

Last edited:
Hven't tried through PC. I will try that soon. Thanks.
edit... DJI online support got back again. They suggested pc update as last resort. Didn't work. Grrrr... don't spend money to buy something and spend first 6 days trying to fix it and the next however long to wait for a fix. Oh well....
Hey, thanks everyone so much for helping and taking the time to write. I really appreciate your time. Thanks heaps!

Last edited:
I remember with my data projector, it had a fault. They fixed it but it was reoccurring until they finally refused to fix it. I am thinking.... I didn't want to buy a drone that has a fixed fault. I want to buy a new drone with everything as it should be. I think I will ask for replacement.... BUT I am now having trouble with the shop. They aren't getting back to me now that I want to return it via courier. Physical shop is a couple of hours away. This is turning into a soap opera! Lol

Same happend to me, the gimbal was dead from the start, did not move at all, tryed everything that has been suggested in this thread and more but nothing helped. Ended up sending it back to the store in China asking to get it replaced but I got a refund instead, shipment took 2 months . Bought a new Spark at a more local webshop this week, hope to get it tomorrow or Monday.

Had to be a bad batch we got... someone who poorly fasten the power cables to the gimbal or something..

Frustrating isn't it. I was hoping for a high tech device. I would understand if it was a cheap toy. I have waited months to buy one. Finally do and can't use it. My shop is 3 towns away. They posted it to me. They promised 10 days ago to email courier sticker, but haven't heard anything. I will finally get a day off in 6 days to drive up there to get a replacement. Will they pay for gas to get there? Nup. Frustrating waiting all that time then finally getting it and not being able to use it for 21days. Oh well, thats life I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe