Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

ND Filters: Gimbal Longevity

RPL

Join
Jul 17, 2018
I’ve always used ND filters when using my Phantom(s), but have some concerns when it comes to using them with my Spark. The gimbal seems so small and fragile. I have a hard time believing that it can handle additional weight over time.

Do any of you use them? If so, how does the gimbal respond? Also, is there a brand you prefer?

Last edited:
I have the PolarPro cinematic series.
They cost more than others but seem to be worth it as they don't give the "gimbal overload" message that you may get with other brands.

I know nothing about photography but enjoy filming stuff and thought the filters may help with future projects.

I usually leave the ND8 filter on the Spark as it's fairly nice weather on a daily basis and don't have to fiddle with it each time I fly.

The PolarPro fits nice on the camera.
The aftermarket gimbal protector still fits with the filter on.

And I never got an overload notice, yet.

If you do a lot of filming in Sport Mode zipping around in an extreme zig-zag pattern you might get an error.

The Spark protects its gimbal by giving a Gimbal Overload error message and powering down the gimbal The gimbal never tries to fight the weight whick prevents strain or overheating. This leaves the camera pointed towards the ground so you must return to home. A quick reboot returns everything to normal. I don't think this is harmful because DJI has anticipated these situations and added the proper safety features.

I always use an ND filter. The only time I get Gimbal Overload is during hard acceleration or high speeds using Sport Mode

After further thought, I’m going to stick with my P3A if/when I’m shooting with filters. I bought the Spark for simplistic projects, and that’s what I’m going to continue using it for. So far, I’ve been quite happy with the results from the Spark, despite the absence of lens filters.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
So far, I’ve been quite happy with the results from the Spark, despite the absence of lens filters.

I agree.:)

Fyi, Polar Pro worked with DJI to produce a filter that wouldn't interfere with the gimbal. They are in fact DJI approved.

when using the polar pro filter I am unable to take Panoramas. Without the filters on there is no problem... Its a bit annoying and I'd like to know if anyone else is having this issue

when using the polar pro filter I am unable to take Panoramas. Without the filters on there is no problem... Its a bit annoying and I'd like to know if anyone else is having this issue

There is no benefit to using ND filters with still photography including panoramas.

(The exception would be long exposure photography with extremely dark filters).

Their primary benefit is with video. So I'd take them off for photos. The added weight could be messing up gimbal action necessary for panorama.

I tried several different brands of filters on my Spark and they ALL failed when shooting spherical panos...it has to do with the gimbal being moved so rapidly and the weight of the filter (so gimbal error).

Thanks for the info. I only use the Polarizer for panos and photos. they help with coastal, ocean, glare situations and improve photos a lot sometimes. I think that I will use the lens hood instead of the polarizer. It is also tricky for me with big fingers to take the filters on and off. I would keep the PL filter on all the time if I could.

Reactions: Andre Levite

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf