Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Near flight collisions

AF_Flyer

Join
Jun 18, 2017
Loc
Crestview, FL
I got my drone last week and got to fly once Saturday and once Sunday. After viewing my video footage I've had two close calls, one with a bird & another with a rather large bumblebee. Considering how small the Spark it I wouldn't want to hit either.

With that said is this normal for drone flying or is it more prevalent because it's such a small UAV?

I got my drone last week and got to fly once Saturday and once Sunday. After viewing my video footage I've had two close calls, one with a bird & another with a rather large bumblebee. Considering how small the Spark it I wouldn't want to hit either.

With that said is this normal for drone flying or is it more prevalent because it's such a small UAV?

Very normal. Have seen a lot of close calls with birds of the years...particularly swallows.

Spark Props spin at a pretty good RPM and I would think that even the largest bee out there would just get sliced. At least we should hope it's able to stand up to one. :)

From time to time, you will have to clean the propellers :)
Check also camera and all avoidance windows (front and bottom).

Reactions: Advexure
I've flown into various swarms of insects...as stated above just clean off all the crap and you'll be good to go.

Not uncommon to fly in to bugs or swarms of bugs I've not done so yet with the Spark but have with my other drones. Regarding birds, I have seen a bird of prey, maybe a hawk of some type makes its way over to my drone when I was flying over a woody area by a stream. Must have been close to the nest or something. When I saw it approaching my P4, I put it in sport mode, dropped altitude, and made zig-zagged my way back close to me....

Despite my better judgement I've flown over a nearby Osprey nest twice, they are not fond of my presence and I usually flip on sport mode to ensure I get outa there quick. I also have the same Ospreys fishing in the lake behind my house everyday I've attempted to get video of them a few times with little success. I keep the altitude high once they are flying to steer clear of them.

I'd assume the spark could take out most bugs, but most birds would likely give it trouble. I was chased by a seagull at the beach the other day, I've heard they are possibly the worst. The osprey isn't too interested in the drone but the seagulls actually follow it a bit.

Despite my better judgement I've flown over a nearby Osprey nest twice, they are not fond of my presence and I usually flip on sport mode to ensure I get outa there quick. I also have the same Ospreys fishing in the lake behind my house everyday I've attempted to get video of them a few times with little success. I keep the altitude high once they are flying to steer clear of them.

I'd assume the spark could take out most bugs, but most birds would likely give it trouble. I was chased by a seagull at the beach the other day, I've heard they are possibly the worst. The osprey isn't too interested in the drone but the seagulls actually follow it a bit.
I hear the same about seagull and all videos show them agressive and defending their territory. I try always to avoid them.

It seems like at least one hawk and a couple of sparrows always come out to look at any drone I fly. I took some pictures of a flock of vultures on some power lines and scared them all away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme