Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Neat cable trick (no wifi to RC) if you own a Spark & Mavic

mp43sniper

Join
Jul 22, 2017
I fly the Mavic with my Galaxy Note 4. It won't even connect to the Spark, so I fly that with my work iPhone. I recently ordered a cheap OTG cable to connect the iphone to the RC but for some reason it didn't work. Then I remembered that the Mavic came with a cable for the iphone too. I used it on the Spark RC and it immediately worked without wifi. Keep in mind the cable is quite short so it'll work with an iphone but nothing bigger.

Not sure which cable was wrong with my initial setup, but this is a neat and free way to fly the Spark using a cable instead of wifi if you have both drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: xXxDieselxXx
Connection sequence is important with otg. If I connect the otg cable to the RC and then plug the iPhone USB cable into the otg, it doesn't work... but if I connect the iPhone USB into the otg and then connect the otg into the RC it works every time,

I used a Mavic a few months back and there were also some issues connecting the RC to a droid

Reactions: Rodrigo Herrera
I fly the Mavic with my Galaxy Note 4. It won't even connect to the Spark, so I fly that with my work iPhone. I recently ordered a cheap OTG cable to connect the iphone to the RC but for some reason it didn't work. Then I remembered that the Mavic came with a cable for the iphone too. I used it on the Spark RC and it immediately worked without wifi. Keep in mind the cable is quite short so it'll work with an iphone but nothing bigger.

Not sure which cable was wrong with my initial setup, but this is a neat and free way to fly the Spark using a cable instead of wifi if you have both drones.
When this whole otg cable came about and I seen all these people with these wires hanging all over the place it turned me off but then I thought of the idea that you thought of to obviously, the mavic wire which is basically a micro USB to micro-usb. So I bought an after-market one from Amazon which isn't a flat chord but a normal style circular cord which allows me to bend it and maneuver it through the controllers handle that's a much cleaner look then having two different types of cables hanging from the back of your controller and cell phone. Cord is 8 inches long or 20 cm which is plenty with a little slack left over but it will not reach if you have a tablet mount on your controller it's not long enough you might need a 30 cm one

For a uUSB to uUSG OTG connection, there is also one of the connector is for the host and must be plugged to the RC. Normally the host, (the RC) will charge a little your phone. If the cable is reverted it is your phone that will strongly charge the RC. Also connection will not work correctly. If you see your phone slow charging, then it is ok. For minimum issue is to use 2 cables, an uUSB to USB OTG cable for the RC and use the normal uUSB to USB cable for the phone. That make a little heavy wiring but it should work.

Silly me, not knowing and researching enough about the whole OTG thing bought this yday
Rankie Micro USB auf USB Adapter-OTG-Kabel-für DJI Spark Fernsteuerung | eBay
It has not arrived yet
But I am wondering now whether I bought the right one?
I am using iphone and planning to connect the stock iphone cable to the usb end of the otg cable.
I hope i am buying the right one with right side of host etc.

If you use the standard iphone to USB cable, you should be fine. Just plug your OTG adapter into the RC.
You have to check for the right connection to get it connected. Me I usually connect as last to the iPad and if I go a message on it, then I am ok, even if the message says it don't know what to do with the connection, opening the GO4 and the Go fly button is blue. If it don't work, then I disconnect/reconnect on the RC and it usually works.
There are other threads will sequences of connection if it didn't work the first time.

Ok thanks! will try and report back when it arrives.

Connection sequence is important with otg. If I connect the otg cable to the RC and then plug the iPhone USB cable into the otg, it doesn't work... but if I connect the iPhone USB into the otg and then connect the otg into the RC it works every time,

I used a Mavic a few months back and there were also some issues connecting the RC to a droid
I discovered during my vacation that my cords are perfectly fine and you were absolutely correct - connection sequence is important. All I needed to do was connect the phone cord and adapter first, then connect to the RC.

alright! yea the sequence is important

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis