Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Need help

Bud Z

Join
Sep 16, 2018
Hi
I'm Bud from Rhinelander, Wi, i'm 77 years old. I have been retired for 13 years. I started reading about the drones, and decided I wanted one. I read about them, and decided to order the spark and the fly more combo, plus a hard case and some other accessories, so I spent over $600. I down the DJI Go 4 app. I couldn't get it to scan, when I finally did, I tried to set it up with my Samsung galaxy S5 phone and found it's not compatible with my phone. I got laid up and didn't do much more. I got the controller linked, I never got ant firmware or any thing else updated. I got sick and laid up for awhile I never got any further than that. I did fly it very little one day, just where I could see it. I took some pictures and videos, but couldn't see what i was taking. I bought this the end of August then being sick and winter hitting that was it till now. we still have a foot of snow on the ground. We broke the record snowfall for Rhinelander. just missed it last year, but we sure got it this year. Last I heard with 8" saturday we were at 120", the old record was 100". After trying to explain this the best I can, can someone tell me where to start, so maybe I can get a little use out of this, If just flying visually so I can take some pictures of the landscape and family, grandkids and great grandkids.
If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bud

Hi
I'm Bud from Rhinelander, Wi, i'm 77 years old. I have been retired for 13 years. I started reading about the drones, and decided I wanted one. I read about them, and decided to order the spark and the fly more combo, plus a hard case and some other accessories, so I spent over $600. I down the DJI Go 4 app. I couldn't get it to scan, when I finally did, I tried to set it up with my Samsung galaxy S5 phone and found it's not compatible with my phone. I got laid up and didn't do much more. I got the controller linked, I never got ant firmware or any thing else updated. I got sick and laid up for awhile I never got any further than that. I did fly it very little one day, just where I could see it. I took some pictures and videos, but couldn't see what i was taking. I bought this the end of August then being sick and winter hitting that was it till now. we still have a foot of snow on the ground. We broke the record snowfall for Rhinelander. just missed it last year, but we sure got it this year. Last I heard with 8" saturday we were at 120", the old record was 100". After trying to explain this the best I can, can someone tell me where to start, so maybe I can get a little use out of this, If just flying visually so I can take some pictures of the landscape and family, grandkids and great grandkids.
If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bud

Between the DJI website and YouTube there are literally hundreds of Spark videos and tutorials for beginner pilots. Virtually every imaginable topic is covered. And the search tool on this website is another great resource.

Once you have some basic knowledge there is no substitute for flight time. Just start small and work your way up as you build skill and confidence.

Until you get a compatible device you will find your experience is seriously compromised. I'm not an Android guy but considering the Galaxy S5 over over five years old it's pretty outdated. I know it's an expense but since you're getting 5 years of use from it maybe it's time to upgrade.

And most importantly...
Have Fun!

Hi Bud. I am certainly not an experience Spark pilot and I have had my ups and downs (literally) but even at our advance years it is a riveting hobby and I love it. Andre’s advice is very sound and flight time just gives you the confidence to do a little bit more each flight. I have had a couple of flyaways, not too serious, due to my own stupidity (higher wind velocity at 50mtrs etc) and feel more in control each time. Safe and happy flying.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Welcome to the Spark community Bud. Overall it's a pretty amazing hobby drone. Agreed with what's been already said, look at the videos and there some excellent ones out there. I myself tried my S6 Samsung and it worked ok but fat fingers covered the screen. I'm now using an old S4 tablet and much better. Also using an OTG able to connect controller to tablet which eliminated the video drop off, pixelating. Now that I can see where the spark is going im getting more confident in longer flights. Hows the GPS signal working way up nort der eh?

Hi Bud..I am 75 and I bought the same setup you got. It did take a little while for everything to come together...watching You tube did help'.I used the same phone you have. I didn't have any trouble with wifi or otg cable. I have gone with a 8 inch tablet since. I can see it a lot better.Don't give up ..the little Spark is so fun. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Stever68
The absolute best way to get started is to find someone in your area that can help you. Easier said than done though... your first starting point should be to find a local small hobby shop in your area that sells remote controlled quads, helicopters, or planes. They will be able to put you in touch with local groups of flyers. Even if there isn't a formal group in your area, they should be willing to take your contact information and the next time one of their "regulars" stops in, can pass your info on to them and you'll get a phonecall.

From Marshfield. Out of town in Minneapolis for the weekend but I'll get back to you at the beginning of the week. I also use the S5 with no issues for my spark. In the meantime has recommended go over the YouTube videos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme