Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Firmware V 01.00.1000 (2018.07.19)

Installed the latest firmware today on my new Spark. Just connected the OTG cable to my iPhone 8+ and had an absolutely flawless flight. Took it out well over 600m with ease in a highly congested residential area. As far as I can tell, there appears to be no negative issues. Could have flown further, but didn’t see any need to. Very happy with its performance.

I've noticed that for iOS there is no more special plug in sequence for the OTG cable. It can remain plugged in and it will connect automatically

Ahhh

I bought an OTG cable last week, and couldn’t get it to work easy. Just did the update and thought I’d try the OTG again. Worked instantly.

Current iOS, this new firmware, and latest app version.

Just posted this on the DJI Forum

There could be an issue with the new FW

I've been flying the Spark since May and using OTG once it (unofficially) worked again with the DJI GO App & I have hardly had issues. I’ve used 2 or 3 different OTG cables, with MOTO G4 & Huawei M5 devices.

Yesterday I upgraded the DJI App to 4.2.21 and planned to test it today. I then saw the FW upgrades and (foolishly) decided to install them as they ‘officially’ supported OTG.

The first flight seemed to start normally, got to 42m altitude and 99m distance and even triggered an RTH, which I cancelled close to home.

After that and during the following flights I got bad image breakup. There were no warnings from the app. During one flight I couldn't even stop the video. I landed, switched off the AC, then got a warning about lost signal and initiation of RTH.

The location was an open space with a few trees and no buildings. I always had the AC in sight. GPS looked good, satellites (11-15) and signal strength. Wireless was 5Ghz. I also drove a few kilometres to another location but with similar results.

I uploaded the logs to AirData and there are ‘Downlink data connection lost’’ messages for all flights up to 8s, although I’m certain I didn’t get warnings in the app. I checked a few flights back to mid-June and can’t find any connection errors.

On the final flight I also got a warning on landing ‘Local footage caching has stopped due to insufficient mobile device storage space. Please free up local storage space and retry.’, although both internal & SD have plenty of space.

Tomorrow I plan to go to a location where I have flown previously to see if there really was a geographical influence.

So, maybe it’s a coincidence so I will make more tests.

Finally, why does the Drone need a FW upgrade for OTG? Surely that’s just RC to Smartphone/Tablet? What else has changed?

Looking forward to feedback and other experiences.
My experience with new firmware upgrade sounds very similar! I wish I wouldn't have "updated " my spark worked great prior to this.

Reactions: Sparkster
I've noticed that for iOS there is no more special plug in sequence for the OTG cable. It can remain plugged in and it will connect automatically

Of course iOS still sees the remote controller as an alien from outer space.... the unsupported device error still appears, but we just clear that like before. Silly Apple.

I'm staying grounded until DJI gets their act together and produces upgrades that don't scare the hell out of me. How DJI can produce such a great little drone and such consistently crappy software to go with it is beyond my comprehension. The past few months it seems that they are stabbing in the dark with these upgrades and there are always problems of many sorts reported from many pilots that even lose their Spark or it is severely damaged due to loss of control. Sad to think that I paid good money for something I am afraid to use. I guess I will fly my toys just for fun until this dilemma is solved. ** Note to DJI... PLEASE fix this right. :(

Reactions: Sakis
I've been having issues with video transmissions errors with .700.

Yesterday I updated to .1000 and I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised! I had no video errors and the video was super smooth and clean...no stuttering.

I'm using a iPhone 7 plus with the OTG cable.

I flew a bit further than I have before (still only a few hundred feet) and no video drops... I'm starting to get a little more confidence back. Maybe this is a good update for me.

I haven't tried updating the RC yet though. I'm kind of afraid to, based on what I've read here. That one sounds a bit risky so far.

I've got a lot more testing to do...it might have just been a great day for clean signals... or it might be a good update. Time will tell.

(Oh... I almost forgot... my drone is almost like brand new now too. It used to drift to the side when I turned and stopped. Now it's rock solid...(maybe just a tiny bit of drift). I can make a quick turn and it stops now...doesn't keep drifting like before. Again...might be just a good day... or maybe a good update... we'll see...)

Bit the bullet and did the upgrade. Went flawlessly, very self explanatory. Once initiated the process was simple to do both the A/C and remote.
This morning was the acid test. With everything off I hooked up the Ipad and remote with my OTG cable. Took the whole setup and Spark outside. Turned it all on and WOW it all hooked up no problem.
I took off with a 95% battery, turned on the video and blasted off in sport mode. The flight was flawless, flew out to max distance of 3065 ft. and figured that was enough especially with no warnings or signal drops. FPV was better than it has ever been with very little if any lag even out at distance. Exited sport mode flew around a little taking some pictures, no problem. Flew out to ~900 ft. and did a return to home, spot on withing inches.
All in all I am truly impressed so far. I give it a multiple thumbs up.

Reactions: Sparkster and RPL
Bit the bullet and did the upgrade. Went flawlessly, very self explanatory. Once initiated the process was simple to do both the A/C and remote.
This morning was the acid test. With everything off I hooked up the Ipad and remote with my OTG cable. Took the whole setup and Spark outside. Turned it all on and WOW it all hooked up no problem.
I took off with a 95% battery, turned on the video and blasted off in sport mode. The flight was flawless, flew out to max distance of 3065 ft. and figured that was enough especially with no warnings or signal drops. FPV was better than it has ever been with very little if any lag even out at distance. Exited sport mode flew around a little taking some pictures, no problem. Flew out to ~900 ft. and did a return to home, spot on withing inches.
All in all I am truly impressed so far. I give it a multiple thumbs up.
Agree. The update has been a success thus far.

Good Job Dji for this Piece of **** Firmware!!! I am Happy not loosing my Drone it feels after the Update I Flying in "Atti Mode" no realy control over my Spark today it is not Windy but it feels its Windy as ****... I flew in a Center and look how the Spark Flying. Screenshot_20180720-202212.jpg

Any change on FCC mode for latest iOS app and newly release firmware?
Does FCC mode still works ok on both?

Reactions: mko64
I'm wondering about the exact procedure for upgrading to the new firmware.

Searching this forum I've seen an excellent description from msinger, but it focuses on using the DJI Assistant 2. I'd rather just update the RC and Spark using DJI Go – to keep things simple and straightforward.

I've seen the DJI You Tube "Firmware Upgrade" tutorial video, but just with Closed Captions, no sound, I may be missing some things.

Would this be the procedure?

1. With my iPhone 6+ connected to my home Wi-Fi, and Internet, go into DJI Go and I will be able to download the firmware updates.
  2. Once downloaded, power on the Spark, power on the RC, connect the iPhone Wi-Fi to the RC.
  3. When I open DJI Go it will prompt me for "Upgrade Firmware Now". I acknowledge and firmware upgrades.
  4. This may be quite a bit slower than using the DJI Assistant 2, but that's okay.

Is this procedure correct?

Thanks,
Barry.

I think that you should have all connected, for the app to find if there are updates, and download them.

I want to ask, old versions of djigo4, are ok with new Fw?

That was my understanding too... has anyone read that they officially support it now... I didn't spot that yet, they said:

What’s New?
Added compatibility to use an OTG cable to connect the Spark remote controller with an Android mobile device.

That does not actually say its officially supported, only compatible. And no mention of iOS.

Rest assured if DJI supplied the compatibility update it is implied that they support it. It's logical.

Ipad mini, latest ios. Shortly before update otg suddenly again became unseen by device. After update it works again. Sorry, didn't have a chance to test yet.

My experience with new firmware upgrade sounds very similar! I wish I wouldn't have "updated " my spark worked great prior to this.
Yesterday, after switching from 5GHz to 2.4 I went to the same location and had no problems at all:-D 120m altitude, over 100m distance, no warnings in the logs. Up to now I always used the defaul 5GHz.

Can you help me please ?
My spark it not working to sport mode, when I turn on sport mode switching not worked.
Thank
Update with the latest firmware to see if that helps. If not, contact DJI. It may be an issue with the switch, which slides back and forth and is not a button you push in/out

Updates done today, one short flight with OTG (Nexus 7) and everything seems to be working properly.

The OTG connection protocol is better, no more plugging/unplugging to make the tablet and controller connect.

The Spark retains its previous settings, asking whether to change region. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast