Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New pilot, combo worth it?

Whiteway

Join
May 29, 2017
Extra battery seems like a must either way, and hence the multi charge adapter. Remote seems helpful. Tailored carrying case is dope.

I never had a drone before, and thought your expert suggestions would save me tons of time deciding between combo and not combo.

Is the combo a killer?

The combo totally worth it I think, save money and buy it now, instead of waiting for the need of an extra batterie and charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whiteway
I got the combo simple because I wanted the remote, battery charger, and extra batteries (both which aren't available separately yet).

I'm probably not going to use the shoulder bag and propeller props.

TBH, with the palm control I'll may not even use the controller, but it's nice to have.

Reactions: Whiteway
Combo is worth it but DJI has mentioned to us over the last week that the first unit that will be available to ship will be the standard kit in white. If you're extremely anxious then you may not want to choose the Combo. If you do choose the Combo I'm going to recommend choosing white.

If you plan to fly with a remote controller, then the combo would be the best choice to go with at the moment. DJI is going to sell the remote controller separately, but it's not available right now.

Combo is a must. Flying 100 yards will get old fast. You will get confident and more experienced. You will want to push further out pretty quick. Of course the further you fly the more power you will need. Combo is a must.

I think the remote is a must for anyone who is serious about this stuff.
However, the 2km range is a bit ridiculous for such a small drone. I will keep it in sight always which means probably 50m is going to be the limit.

Reactions: Advexure
As others have stated, "the remote is a must have item". IMO I foresee people buying w/o remote to save a few $, then realizing they can't live with the range limitation of just a phone. Besides that I hate flying with a phone, mainly because I need the feel of the sticks.

As others have stated, "the remote is a must have item". IMO I foresee people buying w/o remote to save a few $, then realizing they can't live with the range limitation of just a phone. Besides that I hate flying with a phone, mainly because I need the feel of the sticks.

The specific people DJI is targeting will never 'fly' this thing. They will just use the selfie modes. If GPS is ever to go nuts they are left with just their phone, or their flapping hands, trying to wave it back.

However, the new tech in this thing enables DJI to enter a new zone with (professional) autonomous self charging and extremely light weight drones, capable of transmitting high quality data, and perhaps (pretty sure) even working in a network (like a bunch of Gopro's also can). Joe Selfie will supply DJI with the much needed feedback before bringing it to the professional markets.

For me the combo is a good deal. I wanted the controller and extra battery. Bonus are the extra props. I am not a fan of the shoulder bag. Guess I will be waiting longer as I have ordered lava red, not white

The specific people DJI is targeting will never 'fly' this thing. They will just use the selfie modes. If GPS is ever to go nuts they are left with just their phone, or their flapping hands, trying to wave it back.

I will be definitely using the drone for selfie mode.
I ordered the basic pack (without the controller) and the vendor threw in an additional battery for free (pre-order promo). I dont see the need for the controller as the spark will be my goto drone for close proximity aerial footage. With the 4 quick launch modes, i dont think i will be needing physical sticks to do complex aerial videography.

I noticed that my Mavic/Phantom was used entirely for landscape vids and pics. It kinda gets boring seeing the similar rock formations and beaches after a while. Once the Mavic is unfolded, the size is still daunting to many. It becomes difficult to do selfies etc, because attracts unwanted attention.

On the contrary, with the size of the Spark, I can now just whip it out capture more instantaneous footage and not make others feel threatened. I'm gonna fly the hell out of it, near people, near animals, near cars. I'm gonna test and see if it gives us a bad name. I hope everyone will just think its a $50 toy, the same crapola ones they sell at the kiosk in shopping malls.

Reactions: Advexure
I will be definitely using the drone for selfie mode.
I ordered the basic pack (without the controller) and the vendor threw in an additional battery for free (pre-order promo). I dont see the need for the controller as the spark will be my goto drone for close proximity aerial footage. With the 4 quick launch modes, i dont think i will be needing physical sticks to do complex aerial videography.

I noticed that my Mavic/Phantom was used entirely for landscape vids and pics. It kinda gets boring seeing the similar rock formations and beaches after a while. Once the Mavic is unfolded, the size is still daunting to many. It becomes difficult to do selfies etc, because attracts unwanted attention.

On the contrary, with the size of the Spark, I can now just whip it out capture more instantaneous footage and not make others feel threatened. I'm gonna fly the hell out of it, near people, near animals, near cars. I'm gonna test and see if it gives us a bad name. I hope everyone will just think its a $50 toy, the same crapola ones they sell at the kiosk in shopping malls.
As a current Mavic/phantom owner with experience, you don't fall in the Joe Selfie category I painted. I'm sure you get it safe on the ground when it jumps into atti. (which it will occasionally, guaranteed) There's nothing wrong with selfies perse. It's pure fun.

I bought the FlyMore for everything but the shoulder bag. When I bought the Mavic, I bought the FlyMore package: I've never even opened the shoulder bag box as I had another carrying / storage solution.

But with both FlyMore packages, you're getting essential accessories to make your experience much more enjoyable. And in light of DJI not having the batteries, RC and battery charging cradle available as accessories yet, you will get them at the same time as your Spark.

Good Flying

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme