Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Rules Keep Coming

but what about the altitudes from zero to, say, 50 feet. At this point, the terrain itself, houses, trees, towers, etc. presents a danger to any aircraft and really the ATC has no business separating UAVs and other aircraft in that space.

While it makes sense the Feds don't see it that way, especially if you're 50' in controlled airspace. Despite this, its still the law.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Unfortunately you are 100% correct and the FAA agrees with you.

In the near future they may very well restrict hobbyists to below 50 feet altitude and sell the valuable 50-400' airspace to commercial drone entities. It's worth tens of millions of dollars and only sparsely used by a handful of us. We should enjoy it while we can because some powerful and wealthy groups will be fighting over it shortly.

Until then....

The feds have fast-tracked LAANC to deploy by year's end. Participation will be mandatory to fly legally. It will be a game changer and give the FAA unprecedented ability to monitor pilots. Clock is ticking... LOUDLY
I use LAANC right now when I fly under 107 which is 95% of my time. I'll believe it when it's implemented. In the mean time they're more focused on ensuring operators properly mark their drones.

I use LAANC right now when I fly under 107 which is 95% of my time. I'll believe it when it's implemented. In the mean time they're more focused on ensuring operators properly mark their drones.

Actually the requirement to label drones with FAA registration number is quite old. The only thing they changed last week was that it couldn't be hidden in battery compartment.

Just this past week the FAA announced that the government's B4Ufly app is merging with the commercial pilot Kittyhawk app. That's how they will be implementing LAANC for hobbyists. It's a done deal -- in the blink of an eye.

Actually the requirement to label drones with FAA registration number is quite old. The only thing they changed last week was that it couldn't be hidden in battery compartment.

Yes - the marking requirement was codified after 336 became law in 2016, I'm well aware of this. My comment was directed towards to requirement to mark your drone on the exterior which was implemented last week by a interim final rule. Federal Register :: External Marking Requirement for Small Unmanned Aircraft

Just this past week the FAA announced that the government's B4Ufly app is merging with the commercial pilot Kittyhawk app. That's how they will be implementing LAANC for hobbyists. It's a done deal -- in the blink of an eye.

Not a quick blink - from your post:

"No word when the original B4UFLY, which was developed in 2016, will be replaced by the new version."

To be honest, I hope this happens quickly but I see nothing to indicate its going to.

Last edited:
Yes - the marking requirement was codified after 336 became law in 2016, I'm well aware of this. My comment was directed towards to requirement to mark your drone on the exterior which was implemented last week by a interim final rule. Federal Register :: External Marking Requirement for Small Unmanned Aircraft

Not a quick blink - from your post:

"No word when the original B4UFLY, which was developed in 2016, will be replaced by the new version."

To be honest, I hope this happens quickly but I see nothing to indicate its going to.

LAANC is already operational thru the Kittyhawk app [link]. It went live Sept 2018.

They have started with Part 107 pilots. Just waiting for more airports to get on board then adding hobbyists - they can flip that switch anytime they like..

FAA isn't necessarily waiting new version of B4uFly app . Other articles indicate Kittyhawk may just replace B4uFly.

LAANC is already operational thru the Kittyhawk app [link]. It went live Sept 2018.

They have started with Part 107 pilots. Just waiting for more airports to get on board then adding hobbyists - they can flip that switch anytime they like..

FAA isn't necessarily waiting new version of B4uFly app . Other articles indicate Kittyhawk may just replace B4uFly.

and as I said - Until then...

AirMap will obtain online approval via LAANC to fly in controlled airspace of participating airports, most that have a tower, in literally seconds for me most of the time. Painless.

AirMap will obtain online approval via LAANC to fly in controlled airspace of participating airports, most that have a tower, in literally seconds for me most of the time. Painless.

Are you Part 107 or Section 336?

I read that AirMap was only supplying LAANC clearance to commercial 107 pilots and not yet hobbyists. Has this changed?

Last edited:
You are correct, it has not changed.

My point is that it is that there is another way (app)
to get clearance under 107, and it does all the contacting to the airports on the FAA list of those who have implemented LAANC. Given the speed at which gov has moved so far things like the development of the forthcoming app you mention, and ability to use 336 in it, will continue at snail’s pace. As pointed out, everyone flying 336 is waiting for 336 to apply to this. I suspect this is the majority of drones in the air on a given day.

Reactions: Andre Levite
You are correct, it has not changed.

My point is that it is that there is another way (app)
to get clearance under 107, and it does all the contacting to the airports on the FAA list of those who have implemented LAANC. Given the speed at which gov has moved so far things like the development of the forthcoming app you mention, and ability to use 336 in it, will continue at snail’s pace. As pointed out, everyone flying 336 is waiting for 336 to apply to this. I suspect this is the majority of drones in the air on a given day.

I think Section 336 pilots will get access to LAANC authorizations much sooner now that Kittyhawk has been authorized to incorporate the B4Ufly app The FAA wasn't doing a good job updating B4Ufly but Kittyhawk is profit driven so they are better motivated.

Once the LAANC infrastructure has the remaining airports on board handling the additional volume of hobbyist won't be an issue. If fact it will be less time consuming with the digital authorizations compared to the current phone calls to ATC.

Just thinking out loud -- only time will tell.

Reactions: Tom Bennett

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme