Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark Owner, Questions

Join
Aug 8, 2017
Is it normal for the spark to drift in one direction or is something off? It drifted up & down as well. Is there anything I need to do or it that just interference from the city buildings & radio waves?

Reactions: thetillyt
Lack of compass fix/interference....gotta recalibrate or fly somewhere else, possible iron in ground .

As glen said, recalibrate imu and go into the middle of a field where there are no signs of interference and recalibrate compass, fly to a hover and wait, checking on number of satellites etc

Is it normal for the spark to drift in one direction or is something off? It drifted up & down as well. Is there anything I need to do or it that just interference from the city buildings & radio waves?
The best is usually to retrieve the .DAT flight record of the Spark as explained HERE. Then you can upload them to something like dropbox and post a link here.
Then it can be checked more in details. There is limited space for these flight records in the Spark, older are deleted to have space for new, so retrieval should be done as early as possible.
You can also do it yourself from the DAT file and plot flight parameters using the CsvView tools available HERE.

This way we could better help you by checking what where RC stick positions and Spark behavior.

Reactions: The Angry Prepper
then there was probably lots of interference, if you did your calibrations around cars etc chances are the calibrations are flawed despite being logged as ok, so as soon as the spark takes off it gets all confused.
I still say take it out into the middle of a field and recalibrate and test fly out there.

Reactions: The Angry Prepper
The best is usually to retrieve the .DAT flight record of the Spark as explained HERE. Then you can upload them to something like dropbox and post a link here.
Then it can be checked more in details. There is limited space for these flight records in the Spark, older are deleted to have space for new, so retrieval should be done as early as possible.
You can also do it yourself from the DAT file and plot flight parameters using the CsvView tools available HERE.

This way we could better help you by checking what where RC stick positions and Spark behavior.

I'm going to download the file in a day or so. I've been busy with work.

Buildings. Cars. I was in a parking lot.
From your initial description and this I would speculate there was a gpsHealth issue. Either the .txt or the .DAT will suffice. But the .DAT is preferable since it will allow us to see data before the flight started.

I'm sure the compass is calibrated properly. It's extremely unlikely that a calibration can be flawed because of external magnetic anomalies. The Spark would have rejected the calibration had that been a problem. I.e., you would have gotten the "interfence, move to another location" message. And, you calibrated twice without any problems? In addition, there isn't anything in your description that suggests a compass calibration problem

Last edited:
From your initial description and this I would speculate there was a gpsHealth issue. Either the .txt or the .DAT will suffice. But the .DAT is preferable since it will allow us to see data before the flight started.

I'm sure the compass is calibrated properly. It's extremely unlikely that a calibration can be flawed because of external magnetic anomalies. The Spark would have rejected the calibration had that been a problem. I.e., you would have gotten the "interfence, move to another location" message. And, you calibrated twice without any problems? In addition, there isn't anything in your description that suggests a compass calibration problem
I tried downloading the data from the Spark but it would not transfer over or pull up for that matter.

I tried downloading the data from the Spark but it would not transfer over or pull up for that matter.
How to retrieve the .DAT flight record of the Spark is explained HERE.
There is a limited space in the Spark for these flight record so the oldest one are deleted and replaced with new one.
Normally if you see your flight (time and date) you should be able to retrieve it. Sometimes it can be corrupted and it cannot be retrieved, so best is to retrieve it as soon as possible after a "strange" flight.

How to retrieve the .DAT flight record of the Spark is explained HERE.
There is a limited space in the Spark for these flight record so the oldest one are deleted and replaced with new one.
Normally if you see your flight (time and date) you should be able to retrieve it. Sometimes it can be corrupted and it cannot be retrieved, so best is to retrieve it as soon as possible after a "strange" flight.

I did exactly that & nothing.

I am not sure to understand what you mean. You didn't found any flight record in the Spark using the DJI assistant 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar